Author Topic: Self inflicted GSX Problems  (Read 2808 times)

MidnightIce4498

Self inflicted GSX Problems
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:49 pm »
Hello,

I apologize in advance for not being too computer literate....I think that's the source of most of my problems with GSX. That said, I had to buy a new computer and got FSX:SE and its been downhill for me ever since. (I used it fine on my other computer, and absolutely loved it!) I was able to install and use all of my previous non FSDT sceneries without any problems as well as aircraft. I had issues with my first GSX installation, which I was able to sort out by doing forums searches for the problems (biggest ones were the error 5 unable to create folder and other write-protect problems) and I thought I got it figured out. The problems that I am still having are:

The GSX menu randomly appears and disappears in the drop down menu in the sim.
    My payware aircraft, when attempting to call up ground services, cause the virtual cockpits to lose their panels as well as the rear half of the cockpit, and eventually cause "screen melt" where everything blends together. In the case of a certain Airbus A320, after the external loading occurs and I try to call up GSX, I lose all scenery. Buildings, terrain, everything except for grass and blue sky. The sim never crashes to desktop though...and when GSX is enabled, the aircraft loads and the screen instantly minimizes and I'm looking at my windows home screen. I think that's more of a problem for the developer of that aircraft that I'll address in their forums later.
    Externally, the entire aircraft disappears and only the windows and a few select parts of the plane are visible. Everything else is transparent.
    When it does work, the baggage loaders and most of the ground equipment are just drivers, wheels, logos, and that's it. No visual models loading.

As I said, I searched on the forums and tried to figure it out on my own but I think I just ended up screwing everything up worse. If you would be able to provide a mostly computer illiterate person some assistance I would greatly appreciate it!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Self inflicted GSX Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:47 am »
In the case of a certain Airbus A320, after the external loading occurs and I try to call up GSX, I lose all scenery. Buildings, terrain, everything except for grass and blue sky. The sim never crashes to desktop though...and when GSX is enabled, the aircraft loads and the screen instantly minimizes and I'm looking at my windows home screen. I think that's more of a problem for the developer of that aircraft that I'll address in their forums later.

The problem surely cannot be caused by GSX but, instead, seems to be caused by video memory exhaustion or corruption so, as soon a bit more memory is required to create the GSX objects, if you were already on the borderline of exhausting it, it might be enough to cause such problem, so you might be mislead thinking it might have something to do with GSX, but it's not.

Maybe you only need to reduce your settings a bit. You can also try all of these:

- Update your video driver

- Reset your video driver settings to default

- Reset the FSX settings to default, by removing the following file:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG

This will force FSX to rebuild a new config with all default settings.

MidnightIce4498

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:18 pm »
Hello Umberto,

Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it! First issue I had was, well, related to the fact I'm not that computer savvy...I had my monitor cable plugged into the PC (Which was some Intel Display thing??) instead of into the graphics card. I'm going to fire up the sim and see what happens with that after this response (working from home today...). I did make sure to update the video driver and did a clean install of it since I was given the option.

I think what threw me is that my old computer from 2010 handled everything so well (albeit slowly, 8-10fps) at a higher graphics load with a worse card than this computer...I think I'm at about half the settings on this than I was on the old PC. I'll try getting everything going here in a few minutes and see what happens; if I cant get anything figured out I'll let you know but I wanted to at least write something quickly to let you know I read your post and am working away on the problem.

Thanks again!

MidnightIce4498

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:13:44 pm »
Umberto:

Problem solved...I'm a complete moron. Did a reboot of the system after plugging the monitor in the proper place, everything is absolutely perfect. The issue, as best as I can figure, was that the other card wasn't able to handle the load (as you suggested) and the proper card is handling everything perfectly. Thanks for your help...sorry about the mix up on my part!

Regards,

Ian

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:20:42 pm »
The issue, as best as I can figure, was that the other card wasn't able to handle the load (as you suggested) and the proper card is handling everything perfectly.

Yes, that was it: the integrated Intel card that comes with many mainboard, is not able to handle the load of a complex simulation like FSX+addons so, if you plug your (only) monitor there, it will act as a primary card, and the "real" one will not be used.

MidnightIce4498

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 08:01:32 pm »
The issue, as best as I can figure, was that the other card wasn't able to handle the load (as you suggested) and the proper card is handling everything perfectly.

Yes, that was it: the integrated Intel card that comes with many mainboard, is not able to handle the load of a complex simulation like FSX+addons so, if you plug your (only) monitor there, it will act as a primary card, and the "real" one will not be used.

Perfect! Thanks for leading me in the right direction...I didn't think it was GSX, but with the coincidence with the install and problems I figured it better to ask than screw it all up. Thanks again, as always you are most helpful!

-Ian