Author Topic: Problems installing FSDT products **SOLVED**  (Read 5854 times)

Captain Campion

Problems installing FSDT products **SOLVED**
« on: August 25, 2016, 05:15:46 pm »
Hello

I have switched to FSX Steam edition recently and after some trouble i find i´m unable to properly install FSDT products.

I´ll explain step by step what happened:

-I had FSX gold installed on my pc, with addons and everything (due to real life matters hadn´t touched it in a couple of years).
-Decided to install FSX Steam edition after reading about its advantages.
-Uninstalled FSX Gold, including FSDT products (i have quite a lot of them). However i wasn´t aware of the quirks of FSX Steam if installed in a computer with an incomplete (registry and all that) uninstall of FSX Gold
-As a result i ended with FSX-SE folders when installing FSX Steam (incomplete uninstall of FSX Gold). Installed many of my addons, including all my FSDT airports
-Started running into problems due to my installation (some products don´t like FSX-SE folders at all), with lots of crashes and unstability
-Decided to uninstall everything, and this time clean my computer of everything FSX-gold related
-reinstalled FSX Steam, this time correctly, getting FSX folders as result.
-And now comes the problem: when i try to reinstall my FSDT products i get two errors (see the attached pictures)

Looks like the installer is still looking for the FSX-SE folders when those no longer exist. As a result i get no addon manager menu ingame, not even shortcuts in windows...it´s like they weren´t installed at all.

When installing i select FSX Steam, all other options are grayed out. The installers are the most recent ones. All my other addons install without problems (i ran Flight One´s registry repair tool after my last install) so i´m at a loss about the cause.

Any help appreciated, i would like to enjoy my nine FSDT airports  :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:41:18 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problems installing FSDT products
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:16:22 pm »
Looks like the installer is still looking for the FSX-SE folders when those no longer exist. As a result i get no addon manager menu ingame, not even shortcuts in windows...it´s like they weren´t installed at all.

The installer is looking for that folder, because you registry is wrong, most likely because you (or another addon) changed it, in order to install an addon that doesn't recognize FSX:SE.

See this reply here, which explains how the registry keys are supposed to be when the sim is installed properly:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14166.msg104727.html#msg104727

Also, we made a small update to the installers today, currently only the Stand-Alone Addon Manager and GSX, and added a further check to detect this abnormal situation, could you please try one of them and see if they can proceed even in this case ? I would be interested in your feedback, so we could include the fix in all the other installers too. If you want to try this, please do it BEFORE you fix the registry, otherwise the test will be meaningless (we know the installer works when the registry is correct)

Captain Campion

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:28:02 am »
Tried both installers, but same problems. Curiously SODE installed without problems when trying GSX, and the platform manager identified the paths correctly.

I have checked my registry and i have both paths there indeed (how on earth did the FSX Steam one appear is beyond me). By the way, there´s a step missing in the paths you mention in the link. They are (correction in bold:)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\10.0\AppPath

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition\10.0

If you wish i can keep my pc as of now, with the offending line, in case you want to test further solutions. I can fly to other places meanwhile, i´m not in a hurry. Your call.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 01:42:13 am »
Tried both installers, but same problems.

If with "same problems", you mean you still got the error when creating the XML file, that's not possible, since the updated installer will first check if that folder exists, and will not use that path if that folder is not there, which was the cause of the message.

Are you really SURE you downloaded the latest GSX installer ?

It has been updated today, it's very much possible your browser has cached the file, and is not download the correct one. Check if the date of the digital signature of the installer is today.

Captain Campion

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:55 am »
Yes i mean the same problem windows i posted in my first message.

Checked both digital signatures:

Addon manager: Thursday 25 August 2016, 22:42:31

GSX: Thursday 25 August 2016, 22:44:19

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 02:31:27 pm »
Yes i mean the same problem windows i posted in my first message.

You can activate logging in the installer, this way:

- Open a command prompt  ( start -> CMD -> enter )

- go to the folder where you have the installer, for example:

CD c:\Users\Yourname\Desktop

Assuming you put the installer on the Desktop

- launch the installer with this command:

gsx_fsx_setup.exe /log=install.log

This should hopefully create a file named install.log on your Desktop. If you have it, then send it to me ( via Email, please ).

Captain Campion

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 03:26:05 pm »
Done and sent to the support email (i haven´t been able to find any personal email of yours)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 10:20:52 pm »
Done and sent to the support email (i haven´t been able to find any personal email of yours)

I've received it, and I was able to replicate your problem which yes, was caused by having the FSX:SE registry messed up, with both the FSX and FSX:SE registry keys present, but no folder for the XML files in the %APPDATA% folder.

If you download and install the updated GSX installer (it has been updated again, following your report), it should now be able to deal with this non-normal situation.

Captain Campion

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 10:53:50 pm »
This one worked, no error messages and now i have GSX, Couatl and Addon manager menus ingame. I even tried a pushback in Munich just to be sure  ;D

Many thanks for the great customer service!