Author Topic: Vancouver taxiway and runway texture  (Read 15419 times)

VHHHflyer

Vancouver taxiway and runway texture
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:39:46 pm »
Hi,

i recently built a new pc and have a fresh install of P3D with several addons. I am getting this texture issue where its like conflicting with the REX4 runway texture, atleast thats what i think it looks like.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Vancouver taxiway and runway texture
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »
i recently built a new pc and have a fresh install of P3D with several addons. I am getting this texture issue where its like conflicting with the REX4 runway texture, atleast thats what i think it looks like.

I don't see any conflicts. There's just a different colored base texture, which I guess comes with REX. That's how CYVR is made: it uses a blank (no markings) default AFCAD runway, with custom markings and details so, if a 3rd party addon changes the default runway texture, it will look different.

VHHHflyer

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:10:44 am »
Hi,

I did try un-installing REX and all that and i still had that texture. But if it isn't any sort of bug, ill live with it.

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:46:14 am »
I did try un-installing REX and all that and i still had that texture

We cannot possibly sure if uninstalling REX would restore all default runway textures. And, whether this was caused by REX was just an assumption: you might have installed another addon that changed the default runway texture.

But if it isn't any sort of bug, ill live with it.

I cannot see anything wrong in your screenshot, except the runway color is darker than what it was supposed to be, but that's to be expected, if you installed something that changed the default runway texture. Of course, it will affect all the airports in FSX that used the same runway material.

If you see this at CYVR only, then you should check if you have an AFCAD conflict instead, using the free FSX Airport Scanner utility.

VHHHflyer

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:26 am »
I did check the afcad and there was one file named CYVR_AP_alt apart from the fsdt afcad. i removed it but still had the texture.  This only happens in CYVR, i have tried KLAX, KJFK, KIAH.

I just checked on KPHX and i found something similar. So it probably is REX altering the texture.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:48:39 am by harisbaig »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:50 pm »
I did check the afcad and there was one file named CYVR_AP_alt apart from the fsdt afcad. i removed it but still had the texture.

You shouldn't have removed that, because that's a file that is coming with FSDT CYVR, and it's made to ensure there are no floating AIs, which sometimes happens when moving from another airport.

If you haven't made a backup of it, reinstall CYVR to restore it.

This only happens in CYVR, i have tried KLAX, KJFK, KIAH.

KLAX, KJFK and KIAH don't use a blank default ACAD runway as a background texture, so it's normal they won't be affected by a 3rd party addon that changes the default runway texture.

I just checked on KPHX and i found something similar. So it probably is REX altering the texture.

So, it's not happening just at CYVR.

It's likely that KPHX also use a similar method of having a blank default AFCAD runway with custom markings over it, so it's normal it would be affected by a 3rd party addon that changes the default runway texture.

VHHHflyer

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
CYVR has been re-installed. I am still trying to find a way to revert back to the default runway and taxiway textures. Seems to be no such option in the REX menu.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 01:40:02 pm »
I am still trying to find a way to revert back to the default runway and taxiway textures. Seems to be no such option in the REX menu.

The default runway textures are located in the FSX\texture folder and are named runway*.bmp so, if you are not being offered an option to restore them in REX (assuming it IS REX that changed them), you might be able to restore them from the original FSX installation DVD.

Please note, this kind of question would probably best being asked to REX support, asking to them:

- If REX changed the default runway textures.

AND

- If it made a backup somehow, or there's an option to restore them to default.

But again, it's just a cosmetic issue: I cannot see any "problems" in your screenshot, other than texture being a bit darker. Whether this is an improvement over default or not, I left to your judgement.

VHHHflyer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »
I will contact REX and see what they can help me figure out.In the meantime i will install P3D in a new folder to compare files later. The texture being darker kind of looks weird. In CYVR for example, the runway whose texture hasnt been tampered with has a greyish look and in KPHX, the ground is kind of brownish, but the new texture just makes it stand out so much doesn't look like it belongs there. And its just one runway, atleast in CYVR. The other runway looks perfectly normal.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 04:03:03 pm »
In CYVR for example, the runway whose texture hasnt been tampered with has a greyish look and in KPHX, the ground is kind of brownish, but the new texture just makes it stand out so much doesn't look like it belongs there. And its just one runway, at least in CYVR. The other runway looks perfectly normal.

As you can see from the default texture files I said to check in the default texture folder, there are many different kind of default texture files, each one for a different texture materials (as specified in the scenery AFCAD) so, if a 3rd party addon has replaced them with its own, they will "stand out" less or more, depending how much that 3rd party addon has make them different compared to the default.

Since not all runways (even in the same airport) are made of the same material, it's just normal that, if one of the textures assigned to a certain material hasn't changed much, while the one assigned to another material has, one will look "normal" and the other would stand-out more.

I'd expect that a 3rd party texture replacement product would not try to make them TOO different, because many scenery developers would probably RELY on those textures to have a certain appearance, and would probably design the surrounding textures based on that.

As I've said, this has affected several thousands of default FSX airports, not just CYVR ( or KPHX ), since the default FSX materials are not so many, and the most commonly used are just 3-4, used by thousands of default airports, and any 3rd party texture replacement product that would make them too different than default would look "different".

VHHHflyer

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 08:49:53 am »
I installed P3D on another PC and replaced the textures on the main PC. Here is what i get.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 12:40:40 am »
Reinstall CYVR and be sure you reply YES to the question about downloading the latest AFCAD.