Author Topic: bglmanx add on error  (Read 23511 times)

pamvdam

bglmanx add on error
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:55:29 pm »
After I've installed KJFK and said yes for the modules to be trusted every time I startup FSX I get the same error/warning.

Flightsimulator has detected a problem with a third-party software program (add-on)

Name: bglmanx (dynamic ...)
Version: 2, 5 , 0 8
Company: Virtuali s.a.s.
File: bglmax.dll

Do you want to run this software (not recommended)?

If I say yes, FSX will crash. If I no, FSX will continue but no fdaddon menu will be accessible and I'm not able to use my earlier bought
Zürich and O'hare airports. I'm not happy about that.

My config:

FSX with Acceleration
Vista 64 with SP1

I've reinstalled the fsadoon package, with and without UAC, manually deleted the files and reinstalled. Nothing works till now :(

I'm open for any suggestions. Not being able to use the new KJFK is one thing, not being able to use the things I already purchased is another one.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Pascal van Dam

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: bglmanx add on error
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
During testing we found a reason for this crash might be a corrupted scenery.cfg file, if you could mail me your scenery.cfg file, I can check it and verify if this was your case.

If not, try manually delete all bglmanx*.* files in the FSX root folder (*.dll and the *.dat), REBOOT, then run again the JFK installer.

pamvdam

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:18:34 pm »
Thanks I will.

Where can I find this scenery.cfg file? In FSX root dir?

Best regards,

Pascal van Dam

FSXForever

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:18:52 pm »
Yes.

pamvdam

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:27:06 pm »
Ok. Here it is. (Renamed to .dat so I'm able to upload it)

[attachment deleted by admin]

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:46:35 pm »
Yes.

Nope.

The scenery.cfg file in use is not in the root dir. That one is just a backup copy of the original (without any addons), in case it needs to be restored.

The scenery.cfg in use is here:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\FSX

pamvdam, please check you are sending the right scenery.cfg file.

pamvdam

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 09:54:24 pm »
Ok. As I have my roots in UNIX/Linux probaby we've different understandings of the concept rootdir.. ;)

No problem. This must be the one you need.

Thanks in advance!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:12:07 pm »
No problem. This must be the one you need.

GOT IT...

That's the scenery.cfg corruption in action. I've fixed it, now I bet the Addon Manager will run. As you can see, the file is now much shorter, look below for an explanation.

To everybody having the same problem:

There must be some 3rd party addon around that is corrupting the scenery.cfg. The affected lines are (how hironical) the scenery Titles for Cloud9 products. It's not a problem of Cloud9 products or our products, somehow, this installer is not able to properly deal with .INI files with characters outside the standard ASCII range. Because Cloud9 used the standard (c) Copyright symbol in the title, an installer should be aware of the correct encoding, not blindly parse it as if it were an ASCII text.

What happens is that, the (c) symbol for Cloud9 sceneries in the scenery.cfg, gets replaced by this faulty installer, with a *very* long (more than a thousand chars) string of random text.

Since our Addon Manager *also* parses the scenery.cfg at start, but does it in the "correct" way, with the official Windows API call to read INI sections, that long random string of texture that used to be the (c) symbol for Cloud9 areas, creates a BUFFER OVERFLOW, not in our code, but into the Windows API call itself, making the Addon Manager, and the whole FSX crashing with it.

There's no way we can fix it in the Addon Manager, because it's the Windows API call that gets confused, but we might be able to fix it in our installer.

For the time being, until we fix it in the installer, if you run into this issue, try to edit your scenery.cfg file, look for Cloud9, and change the area title to anything you like, removing the 1400+ characters long string that was created by an unknown installer of something else (it's surely a scenery).

If you are not comfortable with editing the scenery.cfg, just post it here, I've modified the forum config to accept .cfg files without renaming.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:13:40 pm by virtuali »

Speedbird84

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:28:45 pm »
Also make sure you dont have Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 installed.
I had to reinstall Zurich and my Cloud9 sceneries and got the same message that you and others get with the new addon manager .

Tried all the suggestions from the FSDreamteam and it seemed that I was the only one who couldnt get it to work...........I reinstalled Visual 2005 and noticed 2008 below it.
Decided to get rid of it since I didnt remember installing it and its a trial/ beta.

Finally FSX loaded normally . Now I wouldnt have to reinstall FSX and my 110 Gigs of Addons just to get rid of that annoying message.......lol lol

Hope my lucky guess saves anyone else with the same problem from having thoughts of an FSX reinstall to get rid of that message .

Chris

pamvdam

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:51:04 pm »
Yep. Works here now.

Thanks! I'm going to buy the scenery!

Best regards,

Pascal van Dam

b.depalo

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 07:40:31 pm »
Hey, i'm new here...

I installed the FS9 version of JFK and it worked beautifully, so I bought it, then I proceed to install the FSX version and get a bunch of weird messages (see pic)

ALSO while installing the program AVG seems to identify a virus in the software... (no pic yet)
IDK if this has anything to do with it... Finally I checked my scenery.cfg (no cloud 9 sceneries and no random text strings)

I only have Visual C++ 2005 installed so thats not it either...

Any ideas???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:28:48 pm »
I installed the FS9 version of JFK and it worked beautifully, so I bought it, then I proceed to install the FSX version and get a bunch of weird messages (see pic)

ALSO while installing the program AVG seems to identify a virus in the software... (no pic yet)

These two might be related. AVG is interfering with it.

Try this:

- Exclude the FSX folder from scanning in the AVG options.

- Uninstall JFK, reply YES to the question about removing the Addon Manager and the Couatl engine.

- Reboot

- Reinstall JFK

Finally I checked my scenery.cfg (no cloud 9 sceneries and no random text strings)

The current version that is online now, is now able to defend itself agains that kind of corruption, it will not crash even in that case

ja50n01

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:44:32 pm »

These two might be related. AVG is interfering with it.

Try this:

- Exclude the FSX folder from scanning in the AVG options.

- Uninstall JFK, reply YES to the question about removing the Addon Manager and the Couatl engine.

- Reboot

- Reinstall JFK

Finally I checked my scenery.cfg (no cloud 9 sceneries and no random text strings)

The current version that is online now, is now able to defend itself agains that kind of corruption, it will not crash even in that case

I am having the same AVG Virus warning problem, it stated Threat detected - Virus found Win/32Heur

then under hidden details it shows this path C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\is-EMHAR.temp\jfk_fsx_setup.tmp
Process ID: 3976

I tried to ask AVG to stop watching FSX, but do i also need to ask it to stop watching hidden fsx folders.

I did your Fix ref Cloud9 Copyright logo, but am still unable to get JFK to install, but that could be the AVG issue?

Please help

Thanks
Jason

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 12:00:20 am »
then under hidden details it shows this path C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\is-EMHAR.temp\jfk_fsx_setup.tmp
Process ID: 3976

I tried to ask AVG to stop watching FSX, but do i also need to ask it to stop watching hidden fsx folders

Not FSX hidden folders, it's the temporary folders that need to be excluded. If you see the AVG path, is not referring to the anything related to FSX, it's trying to block our installer even BEFORE it goes into FSX, when is still in the temporary folder, which is located at %TMP%

However, excluding the %TMP% folder might not be a good idea.

As you can see from the message about the supposed "virus", AVG calls it "Win/32Heur". Heur stands for Heuristic.

Which simply means "I don't have any evidence this is a virus, but it might be because it uses cryptography and other anti-tampering methods". Heruristic search means that, instead of looking in  a database of virus, the program tries to make a wild guess.

I'd start by disabling Heuristic detection of viruses, if possible.

OR, try INSTALLING with the Antivirus entirely off, then exclude the FSX folder, and then reactivate it.

b.depalo

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 03:49:42 pm »
Somehow it just decided to work weird, maybe AVG just had to update or something???