Author Topic: update results in crash **SOLVED**  (Read 7848 times)

mrbill55

Re: update results in crash
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 08:49:29 pm »
Thank you. :)

mrbill55

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:58:06 pm »
I appreciate the folder information. If I understand you correctly, should the same thing happen again, I will be able to start FSX without a long restoration. But after swapping the file I will lose the GSX program. Maybe I should have asked what happens if I remove the entire GSX program and just re-install it?

Bill C.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 09:42:11 pm »
I appreciate the folder information. If I understand you correctly, should the same thing happen again, I will be able to start FSX without a long restoration. But after swapping the file I will lose the GSX program

Yes, but that's not a problem. Try to DO the Stand-Alone Addon Manager update as I've explained first, knowing that you can always go back to a running FSX with those file, and then we'll deal with GSX.

Maybe I should have asked what happens if I remove the entire GSX program and just re-install it?

Won't make any difference: the same set of files that needs to go with the updated bgmanx* files are contained in the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, which is why I only mentioned THAT one.

THe GSX installer installs exactly the same thing PLUS all its vehicles, but it's otherwise entirely identical to the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. You can call the Stand-Alone Addon Manager a GSX installation, sans the GSX vehicles/texture/liveries/sounds, but the important files are the same.

mrbill55

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 05:19:32 am »
Well OK. I waited until midnight last night with all my backups ready to go. I tried the current update once again. I still got "no internet" but continued anyway. As you said, when it finished this time I was able to open FSX. I have had so many crashes over the years from "fatal error" to blue screen of death all caused by software conflicts and/or updates. Once my entire scenery folder was deleted for no apparent reason. Anyway you were right and I was wrong. I still don't even know what changed after the update. Do you think future updates will install on their own now?
 When I looked at my purchase receipt I saw that you are in Italy. My family is from Calabria. Sorry for all the stress, and thanks for your help and patience.

Bill C.