Author Topic: Graphical flashing at CYVR  (Read 5587 times)

rockliffe

Graphical flashing at CYVR
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:39:59 pm »
Hi Umberto,
So following on from my post over at the Avsim forum, perhaps yopu could offer some advice on how to get CYVR operating without the graphical flashing that I am experiencing while moving around in the external view. With respect, I do not wish to start testing a load of alternative GPU drivers, rebuild my cfg or run unrealistic settings, these I have already tried, with no positive results. If you could offer some advice that will allow me to fly this airport and not experience this issue, I would be grateful, thanks.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: Graphical flashing at CYVR
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »
 Hi Howard, are there any particular parts of the scenery that's flickering? Specific buildings, aprons, ground polys?

rockliffe

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »
Hi Dave, sure, the flashing happens throughout the airport and is indicative of the kind of graphical artifacts normally associated with the Bufferpools setting and GPU overload. However, this cannot be eradicated by using different cfg settings. It happens when in an external view and the view is moved around the aircraft.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:16:57 am »
 Have you tried with a different video card by any chance? I'm sure you've tried with a bone stock FSX.cfg, but keep it simple and just add the HIGHMEMFIX=1. There's got to be something to it. Similar to your DX10 Anti Aliasing issue, I don't think this is an FSDT scenery problem. Hardware possibly?

rockliffe

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 10:08:01 am »
No, I've not tried a different GPU. If it was a hardware issue then I would expect to experience problems elswhere, but I don't. Interesting that you mention DX10 Dave, because during the short time I spent using DX10 there was no issue with the airport whatsoever. I'm no scenery designer, but it suggests to me that it is the way the airport has been designed or how it uses memory.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:17:08 am »
If it was a hardware issue then I would expect to experience problems elsewhere, but I don't.

No, no and no! Why you keep repeating this ? You HAVE a problem with your GPU, but your other sceneries do not rely on the GPU enough to have the problem showing. I think I clearly explained this to you on Avsim too.

Interesting that you mention DX10 Dave, because during the short time I spent using DX10 there was no issue with the airport whatsoever.

DX10 uses less memory. But that's just the beginning of it. What DX10 does, is using a different video drivers mode ( WDDM model 1.1 compared to WDDM 1.1 ), which IS what allows it to save memory, but it also means the driver is running in a very different mode.

I'm no scenery designer, but it suggests to me that it is the way the airport has been designed or how it uses memory.

That's only proving your ARE close to exhausting your resources (probably VRAM) and DX10 might give you just enough of spare room to solve the issue.

rockliffe

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:57:14 pm »
OK Umberto, so you are saying the GPU is at fault? If this is the case, what measures do I take to identify the problem? Thanks...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »
OK Umberto, so you are saying the GPU is at fault?

Never said that if, by "fault", you mean "defective". I've said that something in either your drivers, your FSX settings, and eventual tweaks you added, that shouldn't be applied to your GPU.

I'd start with:

- Clean your FSX.CFG and start afresh ( remove it, and FSX will create a new one from scratch )

- Apply ONLY the HIGHMEMFIX tweak

- Use DX10

rockliffe

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:41:35 pm »
1) Clean cfg, OK this has been done and has returned no benefits whatsoever

"Just" cleaning the FSX.CFG is not enough. I've said quite clearly that the HIGHMEMFIX should be applied so, no wonder you haven't seen any benefit with "just" cleaning the FSX.CFG.

Only apply the Highmemfix.. are you suggesting I do away with all my tweaks which I have spent an eternity getting my sim flying pretty much how I like, to help with CYVR?

Assuming you'll eventually find that with a clean FSX.CFG file + the HIGHMEMFIX the problem will go away, it clearly prove that, regardless of how much time you took to set the tweaks, at least ONE of them shouldn't be used.

After you will isolate it, you might put back all the rest.

Again, ASSUMING the problem is something FSX.CFG. But as I've said, a problem with the FSX.CFG is just ONE of the things to check. It might be a video driver release problem, a video driver tweak or setting too.

It might be a COMBINATION of FSX tweaks and video drivers settings and tweaks. It's entirely possible that a tweak you spent years to find in FSX, could be made invalid by simply updating your video driver.

It's possible that a tweak in the video driver applied ages ago and long forgotten, shouldn't be used with a newer video driver, and a driver clean up might be necessary, removing from the registry everything related to the video card. There a "Driver cleaners" utilities out there for precisely this reason.

3) Use DX 10. Sure, this was the option. unfortunately after having used the recently released DX10 fixer, i reverted back to DX9 due to Vsync problems and other small issues.

If you use DX9, keep in mind you must then be extra careful with memory usage.

So DX10 at the moment is not an option. However, can I ask if FSDT airports will function with the newly to be released P3D V2?

We'll make sure they'll work, of course.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:12:07 pm by virtuali »