Author Topic: Unable to uninstall JFK V1?  (Read 2769 times)

felixthreeone

Unable to uninstall JFK V1?
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »
Hello all,

I was interested in upgrading from V1 to V2; I read that V1 must be uninstalled first. After perusing the forums, I found that the proper way to do this is from the control panel/programs/uninstall....

When I scrolled down to the FSDT JFK entry, and double-clicked it, It uninstalled GSX. Not JFK. I then tried again (as the entry for JFK was still in the programs list) and It told me that JFK had been removed, and it deleted the entry in programs.  I started FSX, and JFK was still there, but GSX was gone. Opened the addon manager, and it listed JFK as installed and active, but GSX as active (but not installed). So I re-downloaded GSX, and reinstalled it.

That fixed GSX, but now I can't seem to find a way to uninstall JFK? I see several 'unins' files with FSDT logos in my main FSX folder, but none are labelled as to which scenery they belong to. So, I am wondering If there is another way to go about this so I can upgrade to V2...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Unable to uninstall JFK V1?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »
After perusing the forums, I found that the proper way to do this is from the control panel/programs/uninstall....

That's the proper way for any Windows program out there. It's not really specific to FSDT or flight sim.

When I scrolled down to the FSDT JFK entry, and double-clicked it, It uninstalled GSX. Not JFK.

No, it didn't. You *thought* to have double-clicked on JFK, but you clicked on GSX. The issue is, that list might take a bit to updated after you open the Add/Remove programs tab of the control panel so, if you were too quick double-clicking what it read "JFK", you instead double-clicked on GSX because the list was still updating, and since they are close in alphabetical order, it's very likely the GSX entry was the next one after JFK, so the list was updating when you double-clicked it, so you really clicked on GSX instead, without realizing it.

You should always wait for that list to completely stop, before double-clicking on anything. Again, that's not really something that has anything to do with FSDT or flight sim, but it's possible you didn't knew that, if you never uninstalled programs that way (which, BTW, it's the standard Windows way)

I then tried again (as the entry for JFK was still in the programs list) and It told me that JFK had been removed, and it deleted the entry in programs

Of course, since you uninstalled GSX, JFK was still there.

I started FSX, and JFK was still there

You mean in the Scenery Library ? It's possible the *Area* was still there, if the uninstaller found any kind of problem with your scenery.cfg, so it didn't touched it, in order not to risk corrupting it even more. But the scenery WAS uninstalled.

but GSX was gone

Of course, since you uninstalled it...

Opened the addon manager, and it listed JFK as installed and active

Not really possible, because the uninstaller HAS uninstalled JFK, the only possible explanation that something might this could ever happened, is if you were still running FSX when you tried to uninstall, so the uninstaller couldn't remove all files. FSX might take a while to close and release its lock on files so, if you were too quick uninstalling after closing FSX, you would think FSX wasn't running, but it was still preventing the uninstaller to complete.

but GSX as active (but not installed)

Of course. It's active since the activation is never lost when uninstalling. And it's not installed because you uninstalled it.

So I re-downloaded GSX, and reinstalled it.   That fixed GSX

That to be expected.

but now I can't seem to find a way to uninstall JFK? I see several 'unins' files with FSDT logos in my main FSX folder, but none are labelled as to which scenery they belong to. So, I am wondering If there is another way to go about this so I can upgrade to V2...

If your FSX was still running (or not entirely closed, which is the same), when you uninstalled, so it prevented all files from JFK to be removed, you can uninstall it manually, as explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8504.msg69326#msg69326