Author Topic: CYVR realism  (Read 6975 times)

dbw

CYVR realism
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:10:46 pm »
Flew into CYVR as a passenger last Friday landing on 26R, changed planes and departed on 26L. I'll be honest in saying I have been concerned over the OOM's I've experienced and sometimes not been pleased about it. Having said that I can say that FSDT has done a superb job in capturing CYVR. This is from the viewpoint of someone who has been flying for a living for 35+ years.

Hnla

Re: CYVR realism
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:42:59 pm »
I have been concerned over the OOM's I've experienced and sometimes not been pleased about it.

Well, the OOM's you are experiencing are 100% in your hands, because the OOM's are

NOT CAUSED BY CYVR

But caused by:

The COMBINATION OF YOUR ADDONS

Do I need to make the font bigger?  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:34:11 am by Boone »

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:49:50 pm »
 On a more positive note, dbw was referring to how real FSDT looks comparing it to his recent RW experience flying in and out of YVR.

Hightower

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:56:14 pm »
Flew into CYVR as a passenger last Friday landing on 26R, changed planes and departed on 26L. I'll be honest in saying I have been concerned over the OOM's I've experienced and sometimes not been pleased about it. Having said that I can say that FSDT has done a superb job in capturing CYVR. This is from the viewpoint of someone who has been flying for a living for 35+ years.

I agree. It is very well done for the most part. Very cool you could relate to it so much as a pilot.
As for the OOMs there is lots of options. One is the patch which gives you some options. Ive also found lessening my weather textures a great deal. Going to DX10 has also helped a little bit with a caveat of some minor graphical glitches at some airports that dont play nice with DX10 especially at night.

Hnla

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:21 am »
glitches at some airports that dont play nice with DX10 especially at night.

It's not that they don't "play nice", it's just that the airports have old fs8 legacy code. (originally for fs9)

Any airport with updated code all for FSX will be fully compatible with DX10.

dbw

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:18:13 am »
I have been concerned over the OOM's I've experienced and sometimes not been pleased about it.

Well, the OOM's you are experiencing are 100% in your hands, because the OOM's are

NOT CAUSED BY CYVR

But caused by:

The COMBINATION OF YOUR ADDONS

Do I need to make the font bigger?  :)

Boone,

With all due respect you are out of line here and before you try to play the heavy on the forum I respectfully suggest you read what you are commenting about.

If you were to take, say an extra 5-10 seconds to read closely, you would have realized this post was entirely complimentary. But, if you've read my other posts, instead of jumping to theatrics, you would have figured it out that I've got the OOM problem dealt with to my satisfaction. But lets not reality interfere with anything.

Man, you people are spring loaded on the defensive. An apology on your part would be appropriate.

Hnla

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:24 am »
I apologize, sort of..

And I read your post, read it very clearly. And I read:

I'll be honest in saying I have been concerned over the OOM's I've experienced and sometimes not been pleased about it.

But yes, I did \get a little over defensive, and I edited the font to make it sound like I wasn't shouting.

I shouldn't of made that *direct* assumption that you were blaming CYVR..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:39:08 am by Boone »

dbw

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:37 am »
And, once again, in all honesty I was not pleased with it for a couple of reasons.....mainly I bought this scenery to enjoy, not mess around with it learning how to make it work....and not that I didn't want to - I simply don't have a lot of time to enjoy flight sim as it is and I'd rather fly than fix which in this case was getting into dx10 - which I really didn't know much about....however I'm learning. Apology accepted. Thanks.

I'll add this - after having the chance to see CYVR in person and compare it with the FSDT creation I'm glad I did invest the time with DX10 here - the FSDT CYVR is very, very good. I've just started a few weeks vacation and plan to take some time to learn more about dx10.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:51:02 am »
Man, you people are spring loaded on the defensive. An apology on your part would be appropriate.

Wanted to make it clear that Boone is a fellow forum user as you are, he's not part of FSDT, I understood your message in a complimentary way.

About OOM, it should be clear (and I've gather from your last messages this is also clear for you now) they are not "caused" by CYVR, but CYVR is simply a fairly large and detailed scenery that happened to be released in an area were there wasn't much space available because of the availability of several 3rd party add-ons, and because most people also fly with memory-consuming airplanes nowadays.

This created the "perfect storm" that exposed an underlying issue that was going to happen sooner or later, which is the 32 bit code in FSX with its absolute 4GB limit is not adequate anymore to handle that many add-ons at the same time, which means users will have to learn to make choices, learn to configure their FSX settings, or using the configurations option add-ons should try to offer to lower their requirements, which is what we added in the CYVR update.

The move to DX10 is useful, we support it and will ensure full compatibility with it with all our future add-ons (JFK, KDFW, KLAX, GSX and CYVR already are 100% DX10 compatible), although it's not the definitive solution: it will just save you about 300-400MB or RAM which might be just what you need to fix OOMs, but this is just delaying the inevitable for some time. When most users would switch to DX10, developers will start taking it from granted, and will use that memory too, and OOMs will reappear again, probably when the next big thing will be released.

The real solution would be moving to 64 bit code, but that's not something that is going to happen soon, and surely not for FSX, but for P3D, eventually.

We try to do our best optimizing everything, taking this into account. For example, by offering configuration options like those found in the CYVR installer. And, by moving most of our software code OUTSIDE FSX, in the Couatl.exe, so it won't consume any of the previous FSX address space (Couatl.exe can use its own VAS space, separate from FSX), GSX for example, is running all of its logic code entirely outside FSX, so it can become as complex as we want, without affecting FSX memory usage, XPOI is another example of this: all its code runs outside FSX.

This is a technique that could be probably used with airplanes too, especially for systems simulation and any other program logic, if we'd to create an airplane add-on, it would probably be very easy on memory.

Unfortunately, is not so easy with sceneries, were interactivity code (such as docking systems ,moving hangars, etc.) is maybe 5% of the memory used, most of it it's pure graphics, models and textures so, the only real option is to allow users to manage the textures resolution.