Author Topic: GSX installation error  (Read 7669 times)

ozflyer

GSX installation error
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:39:48 pm »
I purchased and installed gsx yesterday.

My system... win7 64 bit,  fsx- sp2, have fsupic, lds767  with fs2crew and Wilco Airbus evolution 2. I have 2ssd c - windows and d - fsx.

I downloaded and installed gsx as administrator. After the install as per manual started fsx to go through product registration.

But I got an Fsx activation screen, I have had fsx installed for 3 years without this issue. I entered the FAX activation code and fsx started and went through the add on registration for all my pay ware, asking me to click on run for the modules, which I did. This was for all addons previously installed and working i(perfectly for a couple of years) in fsx.

Once fsx started, sent into add on menu and got gsx key registered.

I started z flight, pressed ctrl-f12 and I got only the trial screen with the 3 airports listed. I thought maybe FAX needs to be restarted and closed fsx and started again.

FSX prompted me to input the fsx activation key again, this has never happened before, only after I installed gsx.

At this point I shut fsx and PC down, and wanted to post the question here, as this is not normal behaviour ???..

PLEASE HELP.....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX installation error
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
FSX prompted me to input the fsx activation key again, this has never happened before, only after I installed gsx.

I'm sorry, but this is plain impossible that might have been caused by the GSX installation. It was just a coincidence, fact that happened after installing GSX, is not by any means proof that GSX installation *caused* it, there are tens or even hundreds of processes running together at the same time under Windows, like background tasks, Windows Updates, other updates, etc, so it must have been caused by something else.

There's plenty of proof about this:, the FSX Activation information is stored somewhere on the root of the boot drive, it's not even a file, and I don't have any idea were it is, but it can't be accessed by a regular application and even a bugged program couldn't overwrite that by mistake, because it would require low-level access to the IDE controller, something that our installer surely can't do.

Not only that, our installer doesn't do ANYTHING related to our own activation system. Our activation information is stored ONLY in the Windows registry, it doesn't use any strange/hidden files or access the disk directly so, it's not possible even in *theory* it could conflict in any way with the FSX activation.

And of course, we would have at least some reports from it, but of course you are the only one reporting this.

So no, nothing of what you reported could be related to GSX installation in any way.

ozflyer

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:32:34 am »
Thanks for the quick reply Umberto, I will try it again tonight and advise.

Fsx activation is one issue, does gsx, also require fsx shutdown and restart after entering product registration ?

Looks like I have two issues here ?

One fsx, other gsx only showing me trial airports after activation ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:17:55 am »
Fsx activation is one issue, does gsx, also require fsx shutdown and restart after entering product registration ?

It should be enough to restart the Couatl engine, but of course an FSX restart will do the same.

ozflyer

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:43:36 am »
Hi Umberto,

I figured the issue, what had happened is during or post installation the shortcut to fsxhad lost the tick against 'run as administrator'.

I just ticked it back and ran fsx and everything is working, gsx is great.

However, I have lost all my key/joystick assignments through fsupic, I might have to configure everything again, not a major drama.

Thanks for your quick reply and  apologies for the inconvenience.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:56:59 am »
I figured the issue, what had happened is during or post installation the shortcut to fsxhad lost the tick against 'run as administrator'.

Well, that's something that *has* been done by our installer. But that's for a reason: it's necessary to turn off the "Compatibility" mode, which shouldn't be enabled in FSX, and it causes a lot of problems.

If you *never* ran FSX as a "normal" user before, it's understandable that FSX asked for activation again, since it never recorded the activation in your "normal" user account so it's not that you "lost" it, it was still there, as Administrator, but it was never being recorded as a normal user.

However, you shouldn't run FSX As Administrator, it's not required at all. If some developers told you to do that in order to run their products, it's a cheap way to ignore the real issue, which is their products are wrongly trying to write into the FSX installation folder that, under the UAC rules, can't be written if FSX is installed under C:\Program Files, which is not-writable by default on a Vista/Win7/Win8 system. A product fully compliant with Vista/Win7/8 should only write into the proper locations, like %APPDATA% etc.

Running FSX As Administrator bypass this, but at with an high security risk, since ALL your system is exposed to a potential bug of an FSX add-on module, that can do everything on your system.

A more correct approach, would be changing the permissions for the FSX folder, and grant regular users the permission to write, in that folder *only*, not your entire system, which is what running FSX "As Administrator" does. This will fix all problems with non-compilant addons, whose developers told you "run FSX As Adminstrator"...

RuiCordeiro

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 05:48:30 pm »
However, you shouldn't run FSX As Administrator, it's not required at all. If some developers told you to do that in order to run their products, it's a cheap way to ignore the real issue, which is their products are wrongly trying to write into the FSX installation folder that, under the UAC rules, can't be written if FSX is installed under C:\Program Files, which is not-writable by default on a Vista/Win7/Win8 system. A product fully compliant with Vista/Win7/8 should only write into the proper locations, like %APPDATA% etc.

Running FSX As Administrator bypass this, but at with an high security risk, since ALL your system is exposed to a potential bug of an FSX add-on module, that can do everything on your system.

A more correct approach, would be changing the permissions for the FSX folder, and grant regular users the permission to write, in that folder *only*, not your entire system, which is what running FSX "As Administrator" does. This will fix all problems with non-compilant addons, whose developers told you "run FSX As Adminstrator"...

Hi there,

I've expressed my problem here, looking out for official support: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7874.msg65822#msg65822

And it has to do with that. GSX is only working for me if I run fsx.exe with administrator rights, but I read here that it's not required at all.

So now I am confused...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 06:22:45 pm »
And it has to do with that. GSX is only working for me if I run fsx.exe with administrator rights, but I read here that it's not required at all.

I can only confirm running FSX As Administrator is NOT required by GSX. Your problem with the cache is likely due to so problems with your user account.

You can try removing the C:\Program\Data\Virtuali\Couatl folder and re-create it manually.

RuiCordeiro

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:05 pm »

I can only confirm running FSX As Administrator is NOT required by GSX. Your problem with the cache is likely due to so problems with your user account.

You can try removing the C:\Program\Data\Virtuali\Couatl folder and re-create it manually.

Thanks, please read my problem here (http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7874.msg65822#msg65822), once I did so already. Thanks a lot.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:36:48 pm »
Thanks, please read my problem here (http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=7874.msg65822#msg65822), once I did so already. Thanks a lot.

Of course I've read it, but you haven't done what I've asked.

You said you removed the folder, and had FSX re-create it. But that's not what I've said here, you have to delete it AND re-create it *yourself*, then launch FSX.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:38:45 pm by virtuali »

ozflyer

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:34 pm »

Hi Umberto,

Just a suggestion, if its known, gsx install resets the admin tick and compatibility, why not document it, so people who need it checked, will immediately will fix it post install.

I have read a number of forum posts elsewhere, the fsx users run as administrator...