Author Topic: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW  (Read 93340 times)

golyaht

Re: CYVR OOM when using PMDG NGX and ORBX PNW
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 01:36:10 am »
Nothing in your tests indicates that. The whole point of having Couatl as an external program, is that it CANNOT "steal" memory from FSX! Of all the things that can cause OOM, Couatl.exe is exactly the only one that CAN'T, because it's an external .EXE, and so it runs in its own address space.

Ok, I get that. That totally makes sense.

With that in mind, is there something I can check, or some kind of log files or anything I can review to see what is going on? I've honestly tried all recommendations and at a total loss. Which is doubly sad, because for the time I spend in CYVR prior to OOM, it is absolutely amazing. It makes me a sad panda that I am not getting the same enjoyment others here have found.

Hightower

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2013, 01:51:58 am »
I posted this on Avsim, but I'll make a note of it here.

I did a fresh clean install of FSX. Loaded only CYVR and a Carenado Aircraft. My VAS was only around 2.0GB.   Installed and ran NGX with CYVR and I was up about 2.6-2.8GB. Traffic patterns and all it didnt change much.  Added traffic, and orbx PNW with cloud textures and im bumping up to the 4gb limit again. I did the brave thing and went with DX10 and everything is sharper and I gained a couple hundred MB. Took off the HD textures, and Im flying routes in and out of seattle back to Vancouver with no OOM.

Reduced the cloud textures to 1024 which dont look all that bad, and reduced autogen, as well as some non aircraft traffic sliders, and its running ok. Still up there but no OOM.   

So it can be done folks. The scary thing is when bigger and better aircraft come along like the T7. We will have to compromise once again.

Hightower

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 01:54:47 am »
Nothing in your tests indicates that. The whole point of having Couatl as an external program, is that it CANNOT "steal" memory from FSX! Of all the things that can cause OOM, Couatl.exe is exactly the only one that CAN'T, because it's an external .EXE, and so it runs in its own address space.

Ok, I get that. That totally makes sense.

With that in mind, is there something I can check, or some kind of log files or anything I can review to see what is going on? I've honestly tried all recommendations and at a total loss. Which is doubly sad, because for the time I spend in CYVR prior to OOM, it is absolutely amazing. It makes me a sad panda that I am not getting the same enjoyment others here have found.

Download and run process explorer in the background. You will see the "Virtual Size" your at with FSX.  When its getting close to 3.9 your really going to have to make some quick choices. Save your flight.

honanhal

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:09 am »
Not to be a pest, but I just wanted to check if the new version has been uploaded? I'd rather not download the whole file and find out it's the old version.  :)

Best,
James

OmniAtlas

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2013, 09:04:39 am »
Google 'kosta OOM' no issues here with the Microsoft fix.

pete_auau

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:22 pm »
After  some  testing  and  testing  finally  found  the settings   that  i  can  able  to fly out of cyvr  without  getting  the oom.   I been using  737 ngx,with  fscrew2,  orbox  scenery and  rexe textures  and weather  program and  using  dx9.  Changed  my  cloud settings from 4096  to 2048 in the rexe  option,  changed  the  a1  to 10%  traffic,  set my autogen to dense,  tml  set  to 2048
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:06:56 pm by pete_auau »

rsm2000e

• B738 Pilot AAL-211 YouTube Channel rsm2000e
    • Visit my YouTube Channel today!
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38:09 pm »
On the other hand, FSDT has to consider that most users already have a range of addons installed that they consider as a "base"

It's exactly this kind of reasoning that HAS to be changed.

What people seem not to get (not many, fortunately, most understood it) is that this problem WILL happen in a few months, unless other scenery developers will keep being smarter than us (it doesn't take much, we know to be reckless and always trying to do the difficult things) and will all revert doing airports in desert areas, is that this "base" you are referring to, sooner or later WILL EAT ALL YOUR 4GB!

It happened first here, only because there are many Add-ons in this area, you make it sound as if the "OOM" message never existed before CYVR, which is obviously not true and, in fact, the cold hard reality, is that it was usually associated with other products.

Once the "add-ons you can't live without" wil reach 4GB when used all together, the "base" you are suggesting we should take into account, will not exist anymore. What would be your suggestion, in that case, keep making sceneries *lighter* and *lighter* ? Even that will end eventually, up to a point that, when we'll have 0 bytes left at our disposal, we couldn't even start adding anything, and some areas in the FSX world will be untouchable. Which, of course, happen to be the most commercially interesting ones.

Hi Umberto!

I am praying to God that you will bring FSDreamteam products to XPlane 10 64-bit!  No more 4GB limit unless the user only has 4GB of RAM.  I have 16GB and some folks even have 32!
Please, consider bringing the very fine products from FSX over to xPlane 10!  I already buy almost every product you offer including GSX!  I would be so happy if I could buy them all AGAIN for xPLANE 10 and I would buy them over again!  Think of it, a built-in market of loyal FSDT users who would likely never have the OOM in 64-bits XPlane 10!

Please?

Thank you sir!

Robert McDonald
California

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2013, 07:23:18 pm »
I am praying to God that you will bring FSDreamteam products to XPlane 10 64-bit!  No more 4GB limit unless the user only has 4GB of RAM. 

I fear that when you'll have enough stuff to fill more than 4GB, even if you won't have any more OOM, the frame rate will go down to unflyable levels anyway.

The way to go is trying to now waste memory, instead. We are looking around at various places when this is happening and, for example, found a big one in the FSX SDK Max exporter, which could be more optimized, and probably will end up writing our own version...

Hightower

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:02 am »
Really nice job on the update options. Just did circles around yvr and up and around downtown near the north short mountains, and I never peaked above 3GB. This will help out alot of people Umberto. Great job!

Went with low dynamic shadows, mid sharpening, and 2048 textures. Clouds are 1024, and it was in the NGX. Running orbx PNW.  Scenery sliders are near max, on most. FPS is about 17-25

Seasons are set to just one.  Evergreen, since thats what it mostly is here all year except summer dryness.

Now we just need the T7 for a CYVR - RJTT run!

Tino

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2013, 08:47:01 am »
Im right with you on that one brother!

YVR - NRT/HND are going to be great :)

Cheers,

markjans

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the update. The OOM warning bell still rings regularly after reducing dynamic shadows to the lowest setting (1024) but at least FSX keeps running. Reducing the ground texture size to 2048 probably solves the issue completely.

Again, thanks for the quick update and for listening to us. It's appreciated.

Mark

golyaht

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2013, 05:08:38 am »
So far for me the update has been very good! I managed to get out of CYVR without any issues. Had an issue getting into KLAX with terrain.dll crashing, but I think that's unrelated and I'm trying an alternative fix. I will be doing the reverse route later, and hopefully (fingers crossed) I won't have any issues getting into CYVR! :D

pete_auau

« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2013, 05:31:16 am »
Thanks for the update. The OOM warning bell still rings regularly after reducing dynamic shadows to the lowest setting (1024) but at least FSX keeps running. Reducing the ground texture size to 2048 probably solves the issue completely.

Again, thanks for the quick update and for listening to us. It's appreciated.

Mark

Where about  is  the  place  where you change  the  dynamic   shadows  to  1024

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:35 pm »

In a place where you can't miss it: the installer. Yes, you have to re-run the installer again if you want to change the option, because textures are being rebuilt from scratch at your chosen resolution.

pete_auau

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:02 am »

In a place where you can't miss it: the installer. Yes, you have to re-run the installer again if you want to change the option, because textures are being rebuilt from scratch at your chosen resolution.

Thx  just worked  that  out after i posted the  question   was looking  at the addon manager  side of  things   :)