Author Topic: Addon manager issue **FIXED** Added graphical Affinity Mask  (Read 3246 times)

Slayer

Addon manager issue **FIXED** Added graphical Affinity Mask
« on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:08 am »
I have an issue with the addon manager:

Affinity mask only goes up to 255. This is supposed to be a 32 bit number not 8 bit, as confirmed by one of the devs on the Prepar3d forum.

I have an Intel 3930k (6 core , 12 thread) so need to be able to set an affinity mask of 1364 but I can't as it only goes to 255. So every time I make a change using the addon manager I have to manually go back in and change my affinity mask. Any way to patch this so we can use it on 6 core + systems?

Quote:

"Hey guys,
After your comments about larger affinity masks, I checked out the use of the affinity mask internally and you are correct. The affinity mask is 32 bits, despite looking like a byte in a few places externally. The behavior remains the same, but for the 6 core processors you can definitely put in those larger values.

Zach Heylmun

PREPAR3D Software Engineer"

In his original post he incorrectly stated that it was only 8 bit but after checking with other programmers recanted and said it was a 32 bit number:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1336.0

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:54:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon manager issue
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »
A very good suggestion. Yes, of course, the AffinityMask could go higher than 255 (I should have known better, since I've own a 16-core Mac...), but if it was still made as a slider, going up to even 16 bit ( 65535 max ), would be very cumbersome to use.

So, your remark gave me enough motivation to change the interface for tweaks to allow other kind of controls other than the slider so I managed to add what I always wanted to add, a proper AffinityMask tweaker, intuitive to use without having to figure out binary arithmetic.

If you reinstall GSX or the Addon Manager now, you'll get the updated Addon Manager from the online server, which has the new user interface for the AffinityMask. It goes up to 16 bit, it should be enough until CPUs with more than 8 (real, 16 with HT) cores will be released.

Note that, there are two rows, the topmost shows CPUs with even numbers (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) the lowest one shows the odd ones (1, 3, 5, 7, etc.), so the top row indicates your real cores, the bottom row indicates the Hyperthreading virtual cores, so I guess it should be simpler to get a better idea of what you are doing when assigning the Affinity.

Slayer

Re: Addon manager issue **FIXED** Added graphical Affinity Mask
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »
Great , thanks for the quick response and patch! You guys have great products.