Author Topic: Need help understanding configuration  (Read 10332 times)

LuisKMIA

Need help understanding configuration
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:58:12 pm »
Hello,

I'm sure many of you downloaded the freeware KPHL from SunskyJet.  I noticed the airport came with a .ini file anf I dragged it to the hidden GSX folder.  However, using gate A2 as an example, you can see the off set in the attached image.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there an existing post explaining a situation similar to mine?

Thanks

Luis

oz10tashus

Re: Need help understanding configuration
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:02 am »
G'day Luis

I don't think you're supposed to move the kphl.ini file into the GSX folder, just leave it where it is in the kphl scenery folder.

My experience is that GSX finds the ini file and gets the relevant data.

This is a screenshot at A2 with the default 737..........  Cheers Paul

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:37:00 am by oz10tashus »
Cheers,
Paul

PhotoshopCreator

• GSX User
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 05:23:04 am »
Just move the file back and GSX should work perfectly. KPHL works fine for me with GSX.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.

LuisKMIA

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:10:42 pm »
I deleted the kphl.ini file from the hidden GSX folder; uninstalled SunskyJet KPHL; and reinstalled it.  However, everything still looks the same.  I had also moved kphl.ini to the GSX location after already having tried KPHL and GSX immediately after my first installation.

What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks for the responses.

Lus

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »
Only section that ini file needs is the [general] section, located about three quarters down the file, for the afcad switcher.  You can delete the rest and GSX will use the default settings.   ;)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »
For the time being, put the .INI the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX folder. It's supposed to work from the scenery folder too, but apparently it isn't. It doesn't make much difference using the %APPDATA% folder instead of the scenery folder, it will work the same.

LuisKMIA

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 10:40:27 pm »
I figured out the problem.  Look at where GSX thinks the KPHL AFCAD is located.  I checked the kphl.ini file, and it has the correct path.  Any ideas on how to get GSX to understand this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:08:41 am »
I figured out the problem.  Look at where GSX thinks the KPHL AFCAD is located. 

That's not what's happening here, GSX reads the KPHL AFCAD path correctly, I've checked it both with the KPHL.INI in the scenery folder and with the KPHL.INI in the %APPDATA% folder.

Note that, if you move the KPHL.INI from the scenery folder to the %APPDATA% folder, and vice-versa, any change on the scenery folder will trigger a cache refresh and, it's best if you use the "Restart Couatl" option from the Couatl menu after the cache is remade.

So, I confirm it's as I've said before: it seems the code that reads the KPHL.INI from the scenery folders isn't working, but if you put the KPHL.INI into %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX, it WILL work.

We'll surely fix this, the reason for having two places where the scenery .INI file is read from, is that you can further customize a scenery that comes with an .INI file in the scenery folder (like this one) but, since your tweaks will be stored in a new .INI file in the %APPDATA% folder (GSX couldn't write into the scenery folder anyway if it's under FSX, due to the UAC), if you want to go back to the .INI supplied by the scenery developer, it will be enough to remove the .INI in the %APPDATA% folder, and the one in the scenery folder will be used.

LuisKMIA

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 01:38:27 pm »
Umberto,

I did put the kph.ini file in both folders you mentioned, but still no luck.  I also try restarting coatl, but nothing is fixed.  I'm going to keep trying.

Thanks

Luis

sgreen91

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »
Don't worry Luis I cant seem to get it to read either.  I've even re-installed the standalone manager which definitely rebuilds the cache but it still reads the cache from scenery/apx*** instead of addon scenery or the appdata folder.

I'm sort of resigned to not having GSX at this airport unfortunately.  We must have something on our system different from others.

I'll be monitoring for a solution.

Sean Green

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:18 pm »
I'm sorry, but I can only repeat and confirm, after having downloaded and installed the KPHL scenery, that GSX reads its AFCAD just fine, it correctly indicates the AFCAD in use being the one from PHPL and NOT the APX* default, and the .INI works fine if it's located in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Folder.

Please, read again my last message about restarting Couatl AFTER it has rebuild its cache.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »
So, I confirm it's as I've said before: it seems the code that reads the KPHL.INI from the scenery folders isn't working, but if you put the KPHL.INI into %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX, it WILL work.

Umberto, the installer placed that ini file in addon scenery\kphl_sunskyjet\scenery as opposed to flight simulator x\scenery.  Could that be why the code isn't working?
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

sgreen91

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 02:43:39 pm »
I understand Umberto;  its not a big deal.  I've tried various configurations.  Even moved the scenery out of addon scenery to its own directory but it still will not read the file.  I even moved it to the spot GSX says parking is and went to edit the file then closed FSX and went to the appdata GSX folder and edited the "kphl-hkrcy8.ini" file to read:

[general]
afcad_path = KPHL/scenery/KPHL_ADEX_SUNSKYJET.BGL

But still it will not read this scenery only default.  I even edited the folder name and took out the _ symbols.

Trust me I've restarted coualti and I see it rebuild but it will not read this file for some reason on my computer.

I know GSX works because I have another folder for KBNA  installed and it reads just fine.

I also have another KPHL afcad from Ray Smith so just now I threw it in the addon scenery/scenery directory and GSX reads from it right off with no special ini etc.  Weird.

Sean Green

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:46:34 pm »
What you do to the .INI file, doesn't have any effect on what AFCAD is being read. The .INI file only relates to the customization. If the .INI file is not read or placed in the wrong folder, the only effect is that you will not see the GSX customization, but GSX SHOULD read the scenery AFCAD in any case, which is what I can see here: GSX indicates the active AFCAD is the KPHL_ADEX_SUNSKYKJET.BGL file.

Don't worry about the .INI, your problem is that GSX is reading the default AFCAD for KPHL (APX*.BGL) for some reason.

Try to force a complete cache rebuild, by removing the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\SceneryIndexes folder

Of course, the Sunkskyjet scenery must be properly activated in the Scenery Library, in the correct folder and visible in FSX before doing this.

sgreen91

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »
Did as instructed reinstalling KPHL in default location.  Deleted the scenery indexes and let it rebuild.  Restart Coualiti etc.

GSX is still looking at the default scenery for the afcad instead of the sunskyjet KPHL.

Its a mystery.

Sean Green