Author Topic: New legacy Bug on the horizon...  (Read 26065 times)

Victory103

New legacy Bug on the horizon...
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »
New model in works by Iris Simulations:

DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

SUBS17

Re: New legacy Bug on the horizon...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »
Nice is it going to have weapons etc?

ExNusquam

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:13:51 am »
IRIS has already stated they plan on giving their aircraft complete TacPack compatibility once VRS publishes the SDK.

Ray

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:55 am »
Hey, that looks nice so far!

Being a purepred Hornet fan, I spot an tiny error though: The rear/aft edge of the different colored area on the tip of the radome is slanted, at the top more forward than on the bottom. (It most certainly is angled so it would be perpendicular to the line you would get when you draw the symmetrical rotation axis of the radome.)

See this graphic to compare:

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
Correctamundo! And real pictures prove that:

I guess IRIS guys should be more thorough...  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Victory103

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:41 am »
Love that paint! Checked on the other developer's model that "we will not speak of here", and it is correct.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:00:03 am »
The repaint of the VFC-12 'Fighting Omars' F/A-18C Hornet, No 23, is on Avsim.com since march 2009. Search for fa-18_vfc-12.zip
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Orion

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »
From a post the developer made at the SOH forums (in regards to a link to this thread):

Quote from: joanvalley
Oh we know that! LOL! Let me explain why it looks like that. The screenshot was taken at the mesh and it is the final nose that'll be on the release product, but, I just selected a few nose tip polygons and gave them a different material color just to have a reference of space for the antennas and shape, etc., so the cross sections of the mesh run vertical. The mesh has to be mapped and textured and that's when we'll make the angled radome nose tip with paint over textures not material color as is. Also when mapped, it'll even show the very nose tip which is metal with it's screw in front. I do appreciate the attention and clarification though, if I ever get something wrong on the mesh, I'd love to correct it, so keep a sharp eye please, but i wouldn't worry about the radome nose tip until it gets mapped and textured. Could someone please explain this to the guys at fsdreamteam? Someone who's a member.

Thanks!

Jose Valdez.

DigitAL

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 07:09:44 pm »
I hope this offering of their Legacy Hornet will be compatible with AiCarriers because I feel their F-14 is awesome, but a big disappointment with AiCarriers.  Maybe they should come out with a patch for the F-14 or something on that regard because I think that functionality is hard coded?  It's great that IRIS is tackling on a Legacy! but the Sludge Hornet still topps and props to all the guys and gals (if any) that put all the hard work, time, and brilliance into what it has become!

SUBS17

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 11:31:11 pm »
If they use Tacpac it could be a fully modeled Hornet as that will give it FLIR and A/G radar which sounds awesome as well as weapons but I wonder how detailed this aircraft will be with avionics?

ExNusquam

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 03:39:53 am »
SUBS, The TacPack will not "give" aircraft a FLIR. The number of hoops that the VRS dev team had to jump through to get a separate DirectX view to render on a 3d gauge is impressive, to say the least. Getting that to work on other A/C will take more than just using variables in the TacPack module.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:40:12 am »
Digit...

It's great that IRIS is tackling on a Legacy! but the Sludge Hornet still topps and props to all the guys and gals (if any) that put all the hard work, time, and brilliance into what it has become!

Always appreciate the good words. And yes, we had the help a gal, I call her "Molly Badger". She and SANDPRO were instrumental in fixing once and for all the "pee pee dance" carrier trap problem the default (and Sludge) Hornet had when trapping even slightly off-center or off-speed. The jet would dance around on its MLG like it had to take a pee, hence the name.

Anyway, glad you enjoy the Sludge. A lot of the credit goes to the fellas here on the forum. From JR and his initial ICLS/TCN HUD upgrades to Scott Printz' realistic Hornet HUD, to our in-house genius Serge and his many gauges, sounds, upgrades, and fixes to the Sludge. Don't forget JIMI (Boss of FSXBlueAngels) and his jet, which in my opinion is overtaking the Sludge, as well as his many contributions to the FSX NavAv community as a whole. Lots of good people here, working on their own time and dime, just to improve the community.

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:21 am »

Anyway, glad you enjoy the Sludge. A lot of the credit goes to the fellas here on the forum. From JR and his initial ICLS/TCN HUD upgrades to Scott Printz' realistic Hornet HUD, to our in-house genius Serge and his many gauges, sounds, upgrades, and fixes to the Sludge. Don't forget JIMI (Boss of FSXBlueAngels) and his jet, which in my opinion is overtaking the Sludge, as well as his many contributions to the FSX NavAv community as a whole. Lots of good people here, working on their own time and dime, just to improve the community.

Later
Sludge

You guys are doing an amazing job. Thank you so much to let us test and fly.

Johan

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »
Fellas...

In regards to IRIS' legacy Hornet, I hope it comes with more VC and HUD functionality/realism than the default. The radar/weapons/avionics would be nice but I consider that "icing" on the cake. First and foremost, I want as close to real-world functionality in the cockpit as they can program. From the big things, such as Aerosoft F16 Viper-level HUD (collimation/conformal and projection style), close to real world VC perspective/layout/correct eyepoint, FULL MPCD/HSI/GPS Moving Map integration, better "closer to real world" FCS (engines, aerodynamics, flaps) and flight regime modeling. And the small things, AoA Indexer Hook Bypass functionality, more cockpit switches that work as they are supposed to on the real thing, master caution reset, FCS avionics control panel/reset, etc.

Once they get that implemented, then I'll be happy if they turn their sights on realistic radar and weapons employment.

Later
Sludge

ExNusquam

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »
If you're hoping for a realistic "projection" type HUD ala Aerosoft F-16, I'd give up now. Nothing I've seen has come even close to that HUD in terms of visual realism.

As for the systems, I'd assume that they would out do the default hornet in terms of systems, although I wouldn't expect the same level of the VRS, especially in terms of the actual avionics fidelity, or the underlying simulation of individual systems. As for the FCS, I imagine IRIS will probably out do Sludge and Jimi, simply by virtue of being a well established developer. IRIS's flight model's also tend to be "overpowered" and negate the effects of carrying ordinance on the aircraft. I know I'm a VRS Fanboy, but based on their previous products, I don't think the IRIS Hornet will be on the same level as the existing payware hornet. That said, I'll definitely still buy it, as a serious, quality legacy hornet is something that has been lacking from FSX since it's inception.

Also, as for the weapons, IRIS has already stated that they plan on integrating with the TacPack once VRS releases the SDK. I'll see if I can find the link for confirmation.