Author Topic: Stands to small...  (Read 6565 times)

Der Flieger

Stands to small...
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:43 pm »
Hello,

I know that GSX looks into the AFCAD of an airport and sees if the parking radius is too small for my plane. It then says that I cannot get any ground services at the selected Parking Spot. However if I select this spot, which is defined as "too small", the Ground Services appear on the apron, but I'm not able to start boarding or any of the services.

Would it be possible that you change this, and make Ground Services possible at any gate, even if the parking radius of my aircraft is to big for the spot I selected?

Many airports are wrongly configured in their AFCAD and it would be a pain to rework every parking position, so that it fits to the realworld. Given the fact that the service vehicles do appear even at these spots, it shouldn't be to hard to let them do their work, even if the parking spot actually is a bit too small...

Thank You!
Regards,
Sebastian Szuecs

sleddriver

Re: Stands to small...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:33:17 pm »
I've had the same problem, and I've learned how to use the GSX editor to alter the settings, but you can't use it at any FSDT airports.  Any way to change this?

Chris

Der Flieger

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:33:21 pm »
I've had the same problem, and I've learned how to use the GSX editor to alter the settings, but you can't use it at any FSDT airports.  Any way to change this?

Chris

Hello,

which GSX editor did you use? I just now about the customization option which is available through the GSX menu where you can customize every single parking spot. But altering every single parking position would be the same work as reworking every single AFCAD...

Thank you!
Regards,
Sebastian Szuecs

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:49:30 pm »
But altering every single parking position would be the same work as reworking every single AFCAD...

The next update will allow to set parameters for multiple parkings at once.

Der Flieger

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:07:12 pm »
Thanks for your reply! :)

So will it be possible to extend the parking radius globally for all airports, or do I still have to set every single airport?
Regards,
Sebastian Szuecs

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »
I don't see how extending the radius globally for all airports would make much sense: how do you know if a parking *can* be extended in the first place, or it would result in vehicles ending inside walls, at the global level ?

Usually, parkings on the same terminal tend to be of similar sizes, which is why you'll be able to set a whole terminal or, the whole airport at most.

data63

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
Thanks for your reply! :)

So will it be possible to extend the parking radius globally for all airports, or do I still have to set every single airport?

what sense would that make?

on most airports - even stock - the size of the parking spots are set with some reason.
Imho often the sizes are even to large if you use ai-taffic (who needs 20+ 50m parking spots at any airport?)

Happy landings

Juergen

Der Flieger

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:54:37 am »
It would make sense, because a lot of Add-On airports simply have the wrong parking radius in their AFCADs. LH Simulations Debrecen for example, a few days ago I flew there with a Yak42 and there where no ground services available at any of the stands. The same goes with the FSX default Kefalonia airport...I flew there with a Thomson 757 and after landing I recognized that there is no stand able to handle my 757...so there was no ground service available. Another example would be Freetown airport in Sierra Leone. Bmi uses the A330 on longhaul flights from LHR...I did this flight and after landing I wasn't able to use GSX because the parking was too small.

I don't think about a GSX function, that alters the parking radius in the AFCAD, but a GSX function which lets me ignore the "(too small)" in the GSX menu, so that GSX provides ground services even at spots which are technically too small for my aircraft...because they are wrongly defined in the AFCAD.

As you know the ground services do appear, if I select a spot that is "too small", but they don't work...so maybe this could be altered in a future version, so that the services do work?

Thank you!
Regards,
Sebastian Szuecs

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »
It would make sense, because a lot of Add-On airports simply have the wrong parking radius in their AFCADs

Then the correct solution would be changing these airports only. Fact that some airports have wrong sizes, it's not a good enough reason to have a "global" switch to change all the parkings at all airports at the same time.

Der Flieger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »
I'm sorry maybe I didn't express myself in the right way...I don't mean a function which changes the parking radius. I was thinking about a function which provides ground services, even if the radius is too small...I hope you get my point.

When I arrive at an airport and select a parking spot which is "too small" for my aircraft, the GSX services still appear, but don't do any service. Maybe this can be changed and the ground services can be completed independently of how large the stand is...I don't want to change any parking radius...

Maybe you could provide this override function as an addition...so somebody who trusts the AFCADs can use GSX the way it works now, and people who want to get ground services regardless of the stand size can get the service... :)

Thank you...
Regards,
Sebastian Szuecs

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 03:10:32 pm »
I was thinking about a function which provides ground services, even if the radius is too small...I hope you get my point.

I perfectly understood what you asked, you want the ability to ignore the radius limitation without changing the parking radius. That wouldn't work either: you WILL likely have to change the radius anyway: suppose you encounter a very small GA parking with a radius of 7 meters and, with your proposed "global" switch, GSX will allow your 737 there.

If you don't change the visual radius too (in GSX, the Left/Right radius parameter we already have now), vehicles will start in positions related to the original AFCAD radius, which on a 737 would probably result in vehicles starting inside the wings, under the engines, and in any case unable to manoeuver. So, you WILL have to act on the radius on THAT parking anyway, that's why a global ignore switch wouldn't work.

Der Flieger

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 03:51:23 pm »
Ok, thank you...I got your point and I understand what you mean. I think I'll have to rework some AFCADs then...because it's quite a mess what some AddOn-AFCADs deliver...or maybe I'm going to change the praking radius in some aircraft.cfg's... ;)

Regards,
Sebastian Szuecs

sleddriver

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 12:21:15 am »
OK.  Just to clarify, I'm trying to use the GSX parking customization tool within FSX.  I can utilize this tool at every airport, except at any FSDT or Flightbeam airports.  So, for example, I can't use GSX at any of KORD's H gates (which is the American Airlines terminal), because it says that this parking is too small for my aircraft.  I'm using an MD-80.  I can't park the LDS 767 anywhere around the H gates. Is there any way we can fix this?

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 10:31:16 am »
I can utilize this tool at every airport, except at any FSDT or Flightbeam airports.

That's by design, and it's explained in the documentation: if a scenery is already internally customized by GSX, it can't be re-customized with the editor.

So, for example, I can't use GSX at any of KORD's H gates (which is the American Airlines terminal), because it says that this parking is too small for my aircraft.  I'm using an MD-80

It's not possible you would't find a spot for an MD80 at KORD H gates, since most of them are 22 meters in radius, and the MD80 requires a 17 meters spot size so, you likely tested just the few that are smaller.

I can't park the LDS 767 anywhere around the H gates. Is there any way we can fix this?

For our sceneries, it's best we fix the AFCAD. I've uploaded a new KORD AFCAD with all the 22 meter parking spots increased to 24, which it's enough for the 767.

You can get it by running the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer, that will update all your AFCAD.