Author Topic: Frequently updating  (Read 5431 times)

Markoz

Frequently updating
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:33 am »
Hi.

I'm just curious about how frequently GSX updates. It appears that it is updating up to daily sometimes, and yet when I select #2 to read about the current update, it is days old. Does this mea:

1. There is a new update that I should install, but that the update information has not changed (not been added to)?
2. That my updates are somehow not being installed properly?

I have change the properties of fsx.exe to always be run as an administrator in the hopes that the update will be installed properly. FSX is installed in J:\Flight Simulator X and not the default location and so I don't think I should be having any real problems with the updating, but I want to be sure. Oh. And my Operating System is Window 7 Professional 64bit.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

mseiwald

Re: Frequently updating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:53:57 am »
I'm pretty sure you have the same problem as mentioned in this topic http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5928.0

I think everyone has it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »
I think everyone has it.

Obviously not, if "everyone" had it, we would see way more reports and, of course, we also checked the server logs and the bandwidth consumption and no, it only affects a few users.

In any case, as explained in other threads, a possible solution could be removing the [liveupdate] section from the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\couatladdons.ini folder

mseiwald

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »
Must not be the case. I have the problem too and didn't report as it already has been reported. No need of 20 people reporting the same problem. I think many just click dismiss as i do.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:39:51 pm »
Must not be the case. I have the problem too and didn't report as it already has been reported. No need of 20 people reporting the same problem. I think many just click dismiss as i do.

As I've said, we don't simply read the reports (which are really nothing, compared to the number of users), but we can obviously check the live update server log, which tells us precisely how many access there are and I can only repeat and confirm, it only a affects a small minority of users, that have a wrong value in the [liveupdate] section, and for that a solution has already been posted.

mseiwald

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 12:45:34 pm »
Anyway it's not a Big problem for me when it pops up every 2nd day or so i just click dismiss, takes me 1 second and thats it. About the solution....if i remove the liveupdate section...how should i know when a New update is available?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:52:06 pm »
if i remove the liveupdate section...how should i know when a New update is available?

Removing that section doesn't mean removing the live update feature, it only means telling the live update you have the most current version, which should clean up the problem of having got a wrong data in it, which is what creates the issue in the first place.

mseiwald

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »
Aah ok i got it! But i will lose the notification about a real new update also then, right? So i'll have to check this myself if a New Update is available?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »
No, as I've said, removing the [liveupdate] section will NOT disable the ability for Live update to work and continue being updated, it will ONLY clear up the current situation, which is causing it to believe there's a new update, when there isn't one.

Markoz

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:04:04 am »
Hi Umberto.

I'm sorry about creating another thread on the same topic. It is obvious that the way I searched for the problem was not good enough to find the other thread.

I am no longer getting the message every time I start FSX. I'm not sure if this is because I ran FSX as an administrator, updated GSX and the change was logged correctly.
Or. That I  saw the message to re-install the latest update and selected dismiss and so now it is waiting for the next update to come along.
Either way, it's okay now.

I was okay with it asking me to update GSX every time I started FSX, what worried me with the message, was that GSX might not have been updating and so it was telling me that I should do so every time the message appeared.

Thanks again for a great add-on for FSX. Keep up the great work. ;D

Mark