Author Topic: Error Message after KDFW Install  (Read 7722 times)

pcubine

Error Message after KDFW Install
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:59:49 am »
Umberto

Do you have any ideas about what might have caused the attached message. Since that message, KDFW has been uninstalled and 4-5 other FSDT airports installed with no apparent problems except KFLL of which I will post a screenshot in that forum if is occurs again.

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

flynryan692

Re: Error Message after KDFW Install
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:09:07 am »
I had that problem with LA. Here is the thread, this fixed it for me.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5385.0

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:23:33 am »
The message shows you still have problems with the internet connection, since that version is very old so, either the internet connection is not working, or you antivirus/antispyware/firewall is blocking the download of the current version, which all installers are supposed to automatically download when running.

Or, if your internet connection is working, so the installer IS downloading some of the new files, but the antivirus/antispyware program is mistakenly blocking just the .dll (so you are stuck with the old version) running with mismatched files from different version will likely result in crashes.

pcubine

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:28:52 pm »
I am going to reinstall KDFW later today. I noticed three files (attached) still remaining in scenery after Friday's uninstall and a pfd document about KDFW under KDFW. Should I be concerned about these?

Thank you
Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

NZXT H440 Mid Tower, ASRock Z170 MB, i7-7700K (OC 5.0), Corsair Hydro H1 15i Liquid Cooling, 32GB DDR4 TridentZ SDRAM 3000MHz, 11GB NVIDA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card, 1000 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply, 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

pcubine

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:30:30 pm »
Here are the three files.

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 02:20:36 pm »
I am going to reinstall KDFW later today. I noticed three files (attached) still remaining in scenery after Friday's uninstall and a pfd document about KDFW under KDFW. Should I be concerned about these?

Surely not. The AFCAD are backups made by GSX so, it's fairly normal the KDFW uninstaller wouldn't remove them, since it will only remove files that were installed by itself, and the same it's of course valid for the pdf, which also wasn't installed by the KDFW installer, but by the update.

I've told you exactly what you should be worried about (your addon manager being an old version) so, just worry about *that* one and please, try to assume our installers and uninstallers WORKS, instead of wondering if there might be issues with them, because there aren't.

Not removing something that wasn't installed by the installer itself, is standard and best practice. You might have created/modified those files yourself so, it would be just wrong the uninstaller would remove them, the correct way of uninstalling is exactly how it is now: the uninstaller removes only files that were installed by the installer, not files that have been added by any other means.

Your problem of getting the old version, is not caused by a problem in our installer or uninstaller, but by something external (antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc) or simply the internet connection not working.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:22:13 pm by virtuali »

pcubine

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 05:47:11 am »
Umberto

Attached are some screenshots of Taxiway A at KDFW taken yesterday afternoon after two reinstalls of KDFW and the Stand Alone Manager from yesterday afternoon downloads from the FSDT website. So nothing is old or out of date.  The internet connection has worked since last Thursday. I am using MS Security Essentials and Turning off the Windows Firewall during download and installation. All FSDT airports with the exception of KDFW are working.

Last Friday I installed KDFW using the original setup installer and update from 1.05 from August-September 2010 with a current Stand Alone Manager. Several hours later I answered no to the attached error message and uninstalled KDFW, and answered yes to uninstall Addon Manager, and couatl. engine and ran CCleaner after the uninstall.

You can see the results of the uninstalls, downloads, and installs of KDFW and the Stand Alone Manager from yesterday. I am at wits end. Sometimes I think something is left from Friday’s uninstall or the current installer for KDFW is corrupt. I don’t believe there is any issue with Stand Alone Manager since other FSDT airport are okay. Maybe the key to the issue is answering no as opposed  to yes to the error message I received on Friday.

Michael Cubine
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:48:42 am by pcubine »
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:46:16 am »
Attached are some screenshots of Taxiway A at KDFW taken yesterday afternoon after two reinstalls of KDFW and the Stand Alone Manager from yesterday afternoon downloads from the FSDT website. So nothing is old or out of date.  The internet connection has worked since last Thursday. I am using MS Security Essentials and Turning off the Windows Firewall during download and installation. All FSDT airports with the exception of KDFW are working.

I'm sorry, but the screenshot clearly shows your Addon Manager is an old version, the current version it's 2.9.0.1.

Since it's not possible to get an old version if the internet connection is working, the only possible explanation is that your internet connection is not working OR something is blocking the download, either the antivirus (but MS one is known not to cause this) or something else, like a firewall or an anti spyware, or even another antivirus still active, it wouldn't be the first time we had users with two antivirus installed without realizing it, usually because an old one wasn't uninstalled properly.

Fact you downloaded KDFW today doesn't change anything, it should have worked even with a previous version, the KDFW installer might not *contain* the most current version of the Addon Manager, but this is irrelevant, because the version contained in the installer won't be used if an internet connection is working.

However, if some external program (like a firewall) is blocking the download, the older one used in the installer will be used. And, if an antivirus is blocking it, you might THINK the download worked, because you would see files downloading, but then they will be blocked before being copied in the FSX folder, so you are stuck with the old version.

Since you ARE using an old version, that's the only possible explanation.

No, the KDFW installer is not "corrupt", if the installer was corrupt, it won't even launch (it obviously has self-integrity checks) and if it's was "wrong" it would't work for anyone, not just you.

As I've said, many times already, the problem is clearly in your system, and it's clearly something that is preventing the download of the current version of the Addon Manager.

In any case, as explained in many other threads on the forum, if you download and install the CURRENT version of Stand-Alone Addon Addon Manager for FSX and install it AFTER all the sceneries has being installed, it might work better, because it always contains the SAME version as the one that is online now so, it should work even if your internet connection is not working, or if some other product in your system is blocking the update.

pcubine

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:21:26 pm »
Umberto

Attached is a screenshot of the Addon Manager taken five minutes ago from a windowed flight. It shows the current version but it could still be old. Is that correct?

Also, other FSDT airports could be messed up and I just have not seen the problem yet and maybe never would if I didn't go there. I have landed several times at KDFW and everything seemed okay. It was only when I needed to use Taxiway A that I found the issue. Would this be a correct assumption?

Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »
Attached is a screenshot of the Addon Manager taken five minutes ago from a windowed flight. It shows the current version but it could still be old. Is that correct?

That's the most current version, so it seems you were finally able to update it using the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer. Is KDFW working normally now ?

pcubine

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:37:12 pm »
KDFW is not working normally now. That is the Stand Alone Manager I downloaded and installed Monday afternoon just prior to taking the second and third screenshots of Taxiway A at KDFW.

Attached is a screenshot taken a few minutes ago.

I am going to do a EDDF-KDFW flight later today. I will avoid Taxiway A using some other route from the east of the terminals to the west cargo area.

Michael Cubine
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:54:49 pm by pcubine »
Michael Cubine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »
Attached is a screenshot taken a few minutes ago.

There's nothing in your screenshot that indicates you have a problem with the Addon Manager at KDFW. The only thing the screenshot shows (those terrain spikes), is that you haven't set the Mesh complexity settings as suggested in the KDFW manual, on the "Design Notes" page.

pcubine

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »
Umberto

The spikes on Taxiway A are gone. Complexity was at 100 and Resolution was at 1. I set rsolution to 10 and changed the filtering from 8x to 16x.

Thanks
Michael Cubine
Michael Cubine