Author Topic: vLSO Beta release  (Read 827278 times)

Mickey_Techy

Re: vLSO Beta release
« Reply #1200 on: January 09, 2015, 08:48:51 pm »
..........550ft at the 90 is rough, since you only have to lose 50ft in the 90 degrees of turn from the 180, then another 190ft to the start.............

I could be wrong Goonie, but ever since Paddles discovered 4.12 G/S, these are the numbers I have worked on. Till 90, I'm totally on instruments (as per NATOPS) and at 90, for the first time, I swing my head to look for the boat/ball. If I'm below 550 at this point, I see the flashing waveoff lights, or a very high ball.

So, I usually make a level turn from the 180, with the right wing of VV just a shade above zero degree pitch bar, and then from 90 onwards, progressively increase the descent rate, initially to 2-300 FPM and then on to 600 - 750 FPM.

But then, you also know my issues with constant (LIG) or (LUL) :) , so these numbers could easily have a little more scope for tweaking.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1201 on: January 09, 2015, 09:07:18 pm »
Thanks for the link to the book 'Goonie'. I do not have a KINDLE. Does anyone know if a 'kindle book' can be read on an ordinary desktop computer and... with what program / how please? Tah. Here is the text from the first two pages of the book that are shown at the 'Goonie' link on previous page:

The Carrier Landing Pattern for Naval Aviators
Intro - The Landing Pattern by CAPT Greg 'Coach Schuster, USNR
Think about this: you aren't worth your weight in sand to the United States Navy if you can't land your tactical jet aboard an aircraft carrier. Nobody cares how well you can dogfight, drop bombs, or fly low and fast - if you can't consistently land on a boat, you're toast. You should have been an Air Force pilot. Or an Anny pilot. Or perhaps worked as a floor manager at JC Penney. The sky may still be the limit for you, but not in a tactical Navy jet. This is the real world. It's you and you alone behind the boat when that day comes - there'll be no one else to pass the buck to if you fail. The boat is 'trial by fire' at its finest! It's the only time in the program that we send you out to do something incredibly challenging all by yourself for the first time. Sing or swim, stand or fall, it'll be a day you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Am I saying this to intimidate you? Partly. If I could, I'd light a perpetual fire under your ass that burned brighter every time you slacked off in the landing pattern. I want you to attack every landing of every hop as if it was at the boat. I want you to be incredibly hard on yourself when it comes to landings, whether they're at the end of a FAM hop or an ACM hop. The last thing I want is you suiting up for your first day at the ship thinking, "I'm not sure I'm ready for this.... I wish I'd been harder on myself in the landing pattern... ". Or, worse yet, to have a tombstone over your head that reads, "I Needed More Training". I don't care how well or how lousy every other facet of your hop went - put it all behind you and demand good landings of yourself at the end of it. That's part of what makes being a Naval Aviator so different. Landing aboard aircraft carriers is the hardest routine feat performed in aviation. Give landings the intense concentration they deserve. Consider being in the pattern a time for you to be in your 'zone'. Being 10 feet off altitude in certain parts of the landing pattern should be a BIG deal for you.

It's time to micromanage your instrument scan like never before and supercharge your ball flying!

Where It All Begins...
A lot of people seem to think that the foundation for a good landing starts to be laid on upwind, or in the crosswind, or perhaps immediately after the touch and go for the next one. Well, it all starts well before that in my book. I think you need a gameplan that's been well thought out prior to the break. I remember this by always wanting to have my "numbers by the numbers". What I mean by that is simple: have your CDI needle dialed in for the active runway and know your downwind heading prior to reporting the numbers prior to the break. After the initial, concentrate on getting down to break altitude, fine tuning your lineup, and check your CDI is set. Why on earth should you even look at your CDI needle in the VFR landing pattern? For the visual cues it provides you on downwind, at the 90, and at the 45. Without using the CDI, you need to figure all that out in your head, and that involves doing math in the cockpit - a valuable skill, no doubt, but one I try to avoid having to use whenever possible. Another strong argument for using the CDI can be summed up as: the boat. When you finally make it to the boat, you will be flying in an environment where the 'runway' heading is continuously in a state of flux. The boat does what is necessary to ensure that the adequate amount of wind is over the deck in the proper direction. To do this requires that the boat turn, and that can really complicate the mental gymnastics you would need to do to constantly figure your new 90 and 45 headings out all the time. Don't even bother - make your CDI your friend and make life simpler on yourself. It's far easier to dial in the boat's heading, aka 'BRC', or 'base recovery course', and have a habitual scan that works off what the CDI needle is telling you. There are times it pays to not look at the CDI needle, however. For instance, I do not look at it coming into the break because I choose to be 'heads up' at that point. I am just honking the jet around, 'managing my horizon' to ensure a level break, and referencing the downwind heading in my HUD to guide my roll out decision. But I know I've always got the CDI to bail me out if any confusion ensues. If I REALLY came honking in, or if I broke early, either because I chose to do so, or was directed to do so by tower, then I might want my 90 numbers in my head as well, because I'll still want to be mostly heads up, even to that point. The bottom line is this: set your CDI needle to the runway in use, and then become used to incorporating what it's telling you in the approach turn, and you are on your way to becoming a master ball flyer. 'Nuff said on that....

The Break
Now I know there are some of you that think I am insulting your intelligence by even making the break a discussion item. But after witnessing countless leads flub a good break, bear with me anyway and read on. In ACM, a break turn is a nose low hard turn. Now maybe some studs are peeking into the ACM phase and getting ideas or something, but that is not what we want when entering the landing pattern! Yet I see it all the time. Here's why I think that is: they are entering the VFR landing pattern on instruments! They're staring at the gauges like a dork in the break! Let me draw a distinction here: it's OK if you reference the instruments, but all too many studs try to turn the break into a high-energy turn pattern type of an instrument maneuver, and it just doesn't work all that well doing it that way. True, you possibly could get proficient at doing nice level break purely off the instruments, but the only way you could do that consistently would be by referencing your attitude primarily, and crosschecking your VSI and altimeter. Well, if that's the case, why would anyone choose to stare at the relatively tiny ADI for attitude information when you've got the great big Planet Earth out there? It's the best 'ADI' ever possible! The key to a good break is looking out the damn windscreen and learning where the horizon belongs to maintain zero VSI. Figure that out, and you will shack your break every time. Promise. The break is essentially an exercise in horizon management. Let's look at it from another perspective. Assuming you're level (zero VSI) just prior to the break, as you roll prior to the beginning of the pull, the nose hasn't had time to fall yet, so if you do nothing other than maintain that sight picture as you pull (i.e., not allowing the horizon to rise or fall from that initial sight picture), your break will be level! Now, as the aircraft slows, you will need to relax the AOB to maintain level flight. That's simply a job of pivoting the sight picture in the canopy windscreen. So implant the sight picture of what a level break looks like early on. For example - for my head position (it'll vary slightly if yours is different), the sight picture I get in a level left break is one of the horizon cutting through the HUD from the middle to upper left hand corner to the lower right hand corner. I vary AOB as needed to hold it in that approximate position, not allowing the horizon to 'rise' or 'fall'. Keep in mind I am only occasionally referencing this - I am MOSTLY looking outside at how the pattern is going and how well I'm fitting behind any interval, if any. Once you grasp this concept, I promise that you will not be one of the guys doing wingovers in the break, with your head buried in the instrument panel chasing yesterday's news on the VSI. Don't go there. Again, I know this sounds like a simple topic - but every time I fly with a guy and I see a lousy break, I know what he's not doing - namely looking out the windscreen managing his horizon.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:16:15 pm by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

GOONIE

« Reply #1202 on: January 09, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »
OK, thanks Mickey_Techy, will start with these numbers and work to find ones that work as well. I also get LIG and LUL with any WoD >~23kts.

Spaz, you can download a reader on your PC (don't need to have a kindle) to read the full paper. You will definitely enjoy the book, just don't blow up when you get to the "meatball, meatball, meatball, lineup" explanation.  ;D
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #1203 on: January 09, 2015, 09:20:44 pm »
'Goonie' I should have been more specific but I do not know what file type a 'KINDLE' uses either. Is it a PDF? IF so then I would use Adobe Reader. Is this the case/possible? Thanks.

Just for interest for anyone using Adobe Acrobat: Screen shots were taken of the text from the two pages of the preview to be made into one long continuous .TIF graphic in greyscale. This graphic was then enlarged to 300 dpi from the original 72 dpi (from screenshots). The text was darkened and made into a two colour .TIF. This graphic was then made into a PDF file which was then OCRed and error checked after the text was copy/pasted to an .RTF file (italics were lost in the process). But hey it is really a useful thing if you need it and I'm using Acrobat 11 Pro updated.

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1204 on: January 09, 2015, 09:32:35 pm »
'Goonie' I have raved long ago on this forum about 'flying with visual reference to the horizon' (looking out the winda). However all advice from others was look at the instruments because this is FSX - so I shut up. However once one is familiar with FCLP (first) then flying a carrier landing pattern (on instruments) I personally would recommend looking out that winda to see the view - more - as required. Especially flying the base turn I would suggest that 'visual flying' will be more productive (rather than just instrument flying) to get all those 'crossing the wake' and line up correctly early issues solved.

If I can get a hold of the book then certainly I'll enjoy it. I'll gather that the good Capitan is an 'oldie but a goldie' being used to 'visual flying' (the A4G had 'old TACAN' which was not used in the carrier circuit because it was not accurate enough at that time anyway). So I'm used to 'visual flying' myself but acknowledge that most will not have that experience for FSX. And of course depending on a users computer setup / screen then 'visual flying' may be more problematic than for others etc. And the 'add on gauges' as so useful - especially IFLOLS - because otherwise it cannot be seen with enough accuracy soon enough to be useful without it.

Anyway my suggestion would be for those who have 'mastered' the carrier landings in FSX but still want to improve (as the good Capitan says that should be ALL THE TIME) then try looking out that winda more to better gauge precision. My funnest thing to do (when using FSX on my old computer - but not now) was to attempt to carrier/runway land from any old odd position - and to really work hard to get the best from a bad lot. Only mostly got to land on the runway (the ship of course is much more difficult).

And for newcomers it is always best to start with FCLP - starting your deck landings at the carrier is never a good idea now that vLSO is available for FCLP etc. IF anyone can fly a night FCLP in FSX then they can do anything.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:35:57 pm by SpazSinbad »

GOONIE

« Reply #1205 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:29 pm »
Spaz,
The file format is not PDF, it is special kindle file extension. You can download a Kindle cloud reader from Amazon for free when you buy the book. That is what I did. You have to jump though whoops to print it, but you can also do that.
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #1206 on: January 09, 2015, 09:43:37 pm »
Thanks for the link to the book 'Goonie'. I do not have a KINDLE. Does anyone know if a 'kindle book' can be read on an ordinary desktop computer and... with what program / how please? Tah. Here is the text from the first two pages of the book that are shown at the 'Goonie' link on previous page: ..........

Found this on the same page the "The Carrier Landing Pattern for Naval Aviators [Kindle Edition]" is on:

"Free Kindle Reading App Anybody can read Kindle books—even without a Kindle device—with the FREE Kindle app for smartphones, tablets and computers.

To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number" in the space provided next to this text.

Have not tried it yet, but fixing to do so.
Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1207 on: January 09, 2015, 09:47:18 pm »
[ADDED - thanks 'Striker' of course I will be interested in how you get along with the kindle file] 'Goonie' OK thanks - I'll give it a whirl soon. Meanwhile these 'how to deck land' PDFs may not be for everyone. Certainly they are not meant to be read from cover to cover sequentially as the PDF pages are 'notes' - in some order - about all the stuff it takes to deck land in various ways, from beginning until today. So please use the book marks or the PDF search (for a word or phrase) function to find material that will interest you. FSX has a few pages especially about FCLP... but I digress. AND if you go to either one of these 'SpazSinbad' pages on Google or One Drive then please follow this advice:

"The ONLY WAY to view the PDF is to download it by RIGHT MOUSE CLICKING on the file name (PDF) to DOWNLOAD it to your computer and view it with the latest version ADOBE READER for your operating system. DO NOT allow the GoogleDrive application to attempt to view the PDF by left mouse clicking on the PDF File here. This method will not work and you will waste your time doing so. IF the latest ADOBE READER is not used then you will waste your time also."

A new version of the 'how to deck land' PDF is available. On GoogleDrive is a 2.5Gb PDF (Microsoft OneDrive now only allows me 2Gb files so file is smaller) with these details: [For GoogleDrive (and perhaps OneDrive) one has to 'join/register for free' to view/download the files]

GoogleDrive SpazSinbad Folder: _How To Deck Land 01 Jan 2015

PDF FILE: HowDeckLand01jan2015.pdf (2.5Gb)

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0BwBlvCQ7o4F_bjcyZVpEd3NpTE0

Please right mouse click on the file to download it to your computer and view the PDF with the latest version of Adobe Reader - now 11.0.10 - obtainable for your Operating System here [only install Adobe Reader - nothing else required]:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Most of the information, except for some extra embedded videos, is from the latest 4.4Gb PDF - a recent version is on GoogleDrive or OneDrive - look in other folders. Now look below for Microsoft OneDrive details - ALL FILES FREE etc.

FOLDER: _How To Deck Land 01 Jan 2015 2GB PDF

PDF FILE: How Deck Land 01 Jan 2015 2GB

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CBCD63D6340707E6%212119
OR
http://1drv.ms/1zWGqsb
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:54:25 pm by SpazSinbad »

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #1208 on: January 09, 2015, 10:10:19 pm »
Thanks for the link to the book 'Goonie'. I do not have a KINDLE. Does anyone know if a 'kindle book' can be read on an ordinary desktop computer and... with what program / how please? Tah. Here is the text from the first two pages of the book that are shown at the 'Goonie' link on previous page: ..........

Found this on the same page the "The Carrier Landing Pattern for Naval Aviators [Kindle Edition]" is on:

"Free Kindle Reading App Anybody can read Kindle books—even without a Kindle device—with the FREE Kindle app for smartphones, tablets and computers.

To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number" in the space provided next to this text.

Have not tried it yet, but fixing to do so.

It works on my Win 7 PC and took 12 seconds to be loaded onto the free PC reader after purchase. Will require that you have an Amazon account though.
Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1209 on: January 09, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »
Thanks 'Striker' I got there eventually - downloaded the Kindle Reader for PC but could not seem to be able to buy via that online - probably my old unused AMAZON account got in the way so I signed up again and bought online to view online via the Kindle Cloud Reader (whatever that is but I see what I see) and here is the OLD news about it all.  :o

OK NOW I GET IT!  ;D I had to register my 'downloaded Kindle for PC reader' and then I had the frikkin' book in my PC for Kindle reader. Now 'how do I print it'?  ::)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:33:15 pm by SpazSinbad »

Striker

• Sierra Hotel
« Reply #1210 on: January 10, 2015, 04:45:22 pm »
Thanks 'Striker' I got there eventually - downloaded the Kindle Reader for PC but could not seem to be able to buy via that online - probably my old unused AMAZON account got in the way so I signed up again and bought online to view online via the Kindle Cloud Reader (whatever that is but I see what I see) and here is the OLD news about it all.  :o

OK NOW I GET IT!  ;D I had to register my 'downloaded Kindle for PC reader' and then I had the frikkin' book in my PC for Kindle reader. Now 'how do I print it'?  ::)

I have not found a way to print yet. However, in looking at the "Look Inside!" page online, at the top of that page there is a "Print Book" tab. It is grayed out, but does show there is a way to print the book. Likely will require the actual Kindle Reader to do so.
Respectfully,
Striker

Charlie Time

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1211 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:04 pm »
Thanks 'Striker' yesterday I struggled with a few hacks 'n cracks to get to be able to print it. Getting rid of the DRM is key. As for the article itself....

So far I have read it only piecemeal - not in sequence - however my impression is that it is for the T-45 pilots with reference to what they learn in the T-45; and from the article, will put them in good stead for their future carrier landing days. I'm impressed by the insistence of the author to be accurate in every minute detail and to practice at every opportunity such accuracy - and to never accept anything less than perfection - or strive toward it at least.

Being an old guy, having never flown a real HUD aircraft, a lot of things go over my head these days. From this year carrier approaches for the Super Hornet and F-35C aircraft will change dramatically, especially for the Super Hornet via Magic Carpet - to be tested on real aircraft real soon now. This does not help any FSX Hornet people though, however it does show how flying carrier approaches from the beginning to now has changed and will change dramatically [with some big leaps sometimes] over time.

Just to be nostalgic again. I flew with old Sea Venom pilots [who landed aboard HMAS Melbourne in that era without any LSOs whatsoever] in our new A4Gs. They liked to do lower than NATOPS circuits at 300 to 400 feet, if my memory serves me well. Later in our cruise our USN trained LSOs convinced them to fly the NATOPS altitude of 600 feet - which was quite a change for me at that time. I liked the low tight circuits. As indicated in the article under discussion being 'long in the groove' is the pits.

Anyway also flying with a mirror rather than a FLOLS/IFLOLS is a big change from what I have read. I recall doing a level base turn (during lower circuit height days) to pick up the ball just after the 90 and starting to fly it during the turn (for the life of me I cannot recall our groove length) and having only a 5.5 degree angle deck the line up problem was not so great as today. So going to a descending base turn did complicate things a little; but working like a 'one armed [wall]paper hanger' anyway - I'll never forget.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:30:50 pm by SpazSinbad »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1212 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:05 pm »
An Oldie But Goldie - this time with music - all is well that ends well in this video, especially for the TAXI ONE PILOT on approach at 5min 10secs mark of this video:

Victory103

« Reply #1213 on: January 13, 2015, 03:46:00 pm »
Spaz, great vid, was the cold cat and tip over in the LA both filmed during the same at-sea period?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

SpazSinbad

« Reply #1214 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
A4G 889 went over the front from a 'cold cat shot' - cause never determined/replicated. Pilot had trouble using the upper handle and managed to only jettison the canopy. It is thought that if he had have ejected whilst the aircraft was falling forward and down that he would not have survived. Luckily he stayed with the aircraft as it sank, scrapping down the side sinking, missing the propellors on the way. Once they had passed the pilot unstrapped (he was able to breathe emergency oxygen meanwhile) to then inflate his mae west, to hurtle to the surface from about 60 feet it is calculated. The SAR rescue diver in the PEDRO helo said he rocketed out of the water. You see him being picked up, then temporarily put in the stretcher as SOP; but he complains (because he is uninjured otherwise) to be able to stand up and get rid of his survival gear. You see the same pilot at the beginning of the video closing the canopy (on a different A4G). His name: Barry Evans, date is 08 Nov 1973 in the South China Sea.

Not sure of the exact date of the A4G 871 tip over during arrest but around that time. The RAN did not have a PLAT system so film/still photos were taken of deck ops at all times by several cameramen. The film was usually not developed unless there was a noteworthy incident. So many films were edited to make the one seen. The date of that incident was possibly just before (or after) but during a VF-805 work up, in difficult rolling swell in Jervis Bay, a few miles east of NAS Nowra - the only RAN FAA airfield. Here is another pilot talking about it:
“I was doing D/Ls that day too, and the ship was running up and down in Jervis Bay side on to the swell. On one of my traps, the ship rolled quite a bit and I slid about four feet to the left after arrest. I thought I was going over the side at the time, but the wire held just as the ship rolled back the other way. Shortly afterwards >>>>>>>> had a similar problem, but his wingtip hit the deck and stayed there.”
The aircraft was righted by deck crew with the engine still running so that you see the aircraft taxi away out of the landing area and I'll guess shut down in Fly One to see if there was any damage. There was none - only paint scrapes I'm told.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 08:20:13 pm by SpazSinbad »