Author Topic: weapons!  (Read 21977 times)

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
weapons!
« on: February 04, 2011, 05:30:09 pm »
lol guess our world starts changing today:
http://www.captainsim.com/products/w001/

im sure sludge's work on his hornet starts in no time to integrate this :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:50:07 pm by fael097 »

Orion

Re: weapons!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:54:11 pm »
Whoa.  Wasn't expecting that.  Anyone notice in the manual that they say the Hornet's VC HUD is collimated?

Also wonder if they stuck in carrier ILS/TACAN in there.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:13:33 pm »
lol i guess i was the first CS weapons costumer.
lame it will be another 2 hours for me to be home

i liked the military ai aircraft they included

and i doubt they included ils/tcn for carrier...

but yeah, the hud is indeed collimated, like vrs bug

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:13:46 pm »
i think i'll request a refund.

weapon pack from CS is nothing but a 2d panel, a reworked f-18 HUD gauge, flying missiles (that only appear when you fire them), and exploding low-res military AI.

-missiles arent visible under any airplane wings
-no integration with hornet radar or SMS
-no integration with CS hornet aswell (even with their loadout)

god, they have their own delta hornet, couldnt they at least integrate with that plane?

i'd rather stick with lock on fc2

Herbie

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 01:58:13 am »
Whoa.  Wasn't expecting that.  Anyone notice in the manual that they say the Hornet's VC HUD is collimated?

Also wonder if they stuck in carrier ILS/TACAN in there.

Answer from CS:

Re: question to start with
Reply #5 - Today at 17:08:37 Quote
Herbie28 wrote on Today at 16:08:31:
I read the Manual, but can't find a entry about TACAN Carrier landing. This was the question from above. Herb

Any NAVAID you can tune in FSX can be used in the Weapon HUD modes.
So you can try the TACAN Carrier landing.

simaddict

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:19:35 am »
Feal097, I read your first post and imediately bought it at work. I haven't installed it yet, but it sounds lame am I right? lol We should have figured, for 14.99!! It was kinda misleading, don't ya think??
Mike
Cooler Master Tower.
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) MOTHERBOARD
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Orion

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:42:38 am »
Hey, you can't expect too much from something that's meant to be compatible with any aircraft for FSX.

Unless you're making a whole new plane, I don't think you should expect to see missiles and what not under wings.  And unless they've replaced whole MFD and UFC things (not something to modify, as they're built into a C++ gauge) as well, it's sort of obvious that they didn't change any of the other avionics.

I think they could have probably done some loadout integration on their Hornet, but it seems they're keeping it relatively simple as a sort of test release (seems they're intending on expanding it in the future, if there's demand).  And still, from what I've heard, it uses the exact same gauges/flight model/VC as the default Acceleration Hornet.

I'd be interested in taking a look at how it works (and maybe for a few flights :P), but I don't think I'm going to spend $20 just for that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:49:34 am by Orion »

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 04:19:22 am »
Fellas...

Just bought it, took it out for a flight and there's GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS.

First up, YES, this thing has ALOT OF POTENTIAL!!  Just got done SHOOTING DOWN aircraft IN FREE FLIGHT.  WAS AMAZING!!  They take damage, they start on FIRE, and they fall from the sky.  Was just phenominal.  Lets hear everyone say it.  "YOU'RE RENTS DUE MOTHER &*$#-ER!!"

Second, the HUD is COLLIMATED.  I looked at their .XML and it was exactly how Virtuali said we should go about it.  Its accomplished thru changes in delta eyepoint.  There's lag and theres a "sluggish" feel to it when panning around, so its not the best but IT WORKS.

Now, the BAD, and boy is it BAD.  The INTERFACE sucks!!  Its a control bar on the bottom and you select guns and missiles and what not.  Think a small baby step up from Abacus.  That hurt just typing it out.  Not the great interfaces that we are used to from JR and Serge.  Throw that compatibility out of your mind, right now.  Also, the actual HUD symbology BLOWS!!  Its drawn from C++, Im guessing and LOOKS great, like the default HUD style, but the symbology and everything just blows.  It holds conformality and is collimated, but the generics of it suck.  Guess we can all hope for what Orion talked about, that IF there's enough interest, they will develop it more and maybe hard-code a HUD that looks like a real Hornet HUD with correct symbology?

Thats all for now, will get back to you as I find out more and more.  And BTW, its 20 bucks USD.  14.99 EURO.

Later
Sludge

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 04:22:04 am »
Feal097, I read your first post and imediately bought it at work. I haven't installed it yet, but it sounds lame am I right? lol We should have figured, for 14.99!! It was kinda misleading, don't ya think??
Mike
lol mate, i bought it at work also, it IS really lame. the good part is that you can ask for a refund. it was definitely mislead, i mean, they took advantage of VRS announcement for tacpack and released some cheap eye candy to take money from unadvised costumers like us :P

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 04:23:15 am »
@sludge:

some guys reported that HUD collimation doesnt work with trackIR for some reason. can you confirm that?
and yep, that 2d panel is just lame, while we have all buttons on the hornet, we have to use a lame 2d panel? no-no.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:15:56 pm by fael097 »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 04:26:57 am »
Fael...

I dont have TrackIR, so I cant check this out.  Let me go fly a few times and Ill take some screen shots, and show ya.  The collimation is serviceable, mostly in its POTENTIAL, which with this HUD, they are NOT taking advantage of...  Ill talk to their customer service and see what comes of it.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 04:51:37 am »
Fellas...

OK, this is like CRACK!!  Ill have to go to FSX AIRLINER-KILLERS ANONYMOUS (to be known as FSX AK-A) to break the habit.  Its soo much fun, Ive actually forgotten how bad the interface (bottom bar) is, and have just been shooting anything that flies.  Damn, its CRAZY FUN!!

The Guns perform decently, and the missiles track pretty well.  So far, this and the collimated HUD make it totally worth it.  AND the ability to possibly integrate this with the Sludge mods with the Combat HUD.  The POTENTIAL is sky-high.  IF they could integrate this with their CAPT SIM LoadOut system/setup, we'd start to develop that potential.  But they really need to get beyond AIM-7s.  NOBODY USES them anymore.  Only ships use them as SEA SPARROWs.  Front line fighters wouldnt be caught dead with them.  The worst Radar missile US planes use are AIM-120 BRAVOs.  The newest -120 CHUCKs are out there in service now.

Here's why Im addicted.  This was easily worth 20 bucks.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:57:23 am by Sludge »

simaddict

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 05:19:56 am »
  I can pull up the weapon bar, but nothing seems to work, choice of weapons...etc. to FIRE it says space bar, but nothing past that? help me from here?? 
Cooler Master Tower.
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

simaddict

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 05:29:24 am »
Sorry, I got it! had the SAFE off!!! duh! Cool!!
Cooler Master Tower.
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

skimmer

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:57 am »
Man am I glad I looked here to find out about this product. I just stumbled on it at CS web site and watched the video which left me excited and with doubt about in flight weapon choice and hud. I noticed there was no lock on target noise with aim. Anyway I was gonna ask if anyone had this yet and that just got answered. faelo97, I read on their store tab that all sales are final.This product is $20 bucks! I got up to the credit card info page and chickened out. Sounds like if you already want refund I better wait and see if Sludge adds more info. Cant hardly wait though cause it looks like a lot of fun. But I will. ;D