Author Topic: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released  (Read 245806 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge/Combat Hornet Integrator - Released
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:59 am »
Fellas...

Finally.  v1.2 CHARLIE is uploaded to the server, ready for download/install, and DONE.  Late night making this happen, but hopefully you guys will enjoy the newest version.

For all you guys that want a MANUAL install version, I will work on that tomorrow night. I have the template, I'm just tired as all get out.

Take the new girl for a test drive and tell me what you think... good/bad/indifferent... whatever.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:31:11 am by Sludge »

lvflyer

« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »
Guys I need your help.  I have an FSXA server running up on gamespy in the Bush Flying room named FSXtreme.  When I use the Sludge, any configuration from the integrator, I get disconnects saying the host has cancelled the session when it didn't.  I can only correct this by expanding blackbox.cab into a folder and renaming blackbox.cab and the files within the folder namely F18_Approach_Lights.xml, F18_FMC.xml, F18_LandingLight.xml, and F18_UFCD.xml.  Another symptom in multiplayer is the opponents plane will not move and even buries itself in the tarmac.  I have tried to launch a server from my house and business with same results.  I can, however, join a session other than my own on Gamespy and don't get the disconnects.  I have searched in vain and found no solutions.  The server is updated with XP Pro SP3 and DX9 with all current updates.  I run the server in Map view so there is no severe CPU requirements, but I have tried it in Radar view as a tower and as a plane with same results.  So what on my server or computer would be sensitive and conflicting to those files.  With no disrespect to Surge or any of the other programmers I have been told by other programmers the refresh rate on those gauges are way too high for the servers and should be changed, but my logs don't show any overload or other errors.  It just simply drops the player session, but remains running for the other players if they aren't in a Sludge with non-renamed blackbox.  The password for the server is fsxairops in lower case so if you care to log on and test this for me I would appreciate it.  It would be best to do this after 7PM Central time since it is on a business network and I wouldn't want the bandwidth to be overloaded during business hours.  You can also connect direct at 98.214.122.138.  I appreciate any feedback you can offer.

Dirk
www.aircombatoperations.org

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »
Fellas...

Hopefully, you guys can help LV out.  When I get a break from modding/testing, I have tried to replicate and come up empty.  I cant get into a situation in ANY MULTIPLAYER where I drop out or the other planes act as LV says.  I may try to get on his server when I can to give it a final go to help out.

Also, for those of you that download and install v1.2 CHARLIE, please let me know if you find any bugs or have major problems.  Orion already pointed out a "3am uploading" mistake, so I'm sure there will be more.  Also, be aware, the CS Delta Hornet external model doesnt behave like the Alpha model (surprise?), so the carrier cat-shot "cheat trick" to slow launch speed using the MLG brakes doesnt work on the Delta.   You might have anomalies, such as the nose gear "stuttering up and down" when hooked up to the shuttle at =/> MIL power.  However, the trap "trick" works, so you can still MIL power on wire touchdown, same as you would with the Alpha. I know about these and am working on them.

Keep in mind, its always a balance-fight between realism, practical use, and frame rates with everything in FSX, especially since I didnt make the Alpha or Delta external models.  All the Sludge/Combat mods are made from the "outside looking in". I mean, the cat-shot mod idea ALONE added a week delay to this release because of the modding/testing involved, plus FSX on-land vs. on-carrier deck behave far differently as far as model-surface interaction.

PLEASE read the v12_CHARLIE README and the NEW FEATURES included in the .ZIP, so that you can fully test out the new features and let me know what problems (setup or functionality) exist, if it was an "instructions" error, or a coding problem.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:19:30 pm by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »
..I have been told by other programmers the refresh rate on those gauges are way too high for the servers and should be changed..

Dirk,
The refresh rates on my gauges are actually way too low, compared to JR's HUD gauge, for example  ;D There are different values from 1 to 9. Perhaps you can try setting them ALL to something like 18 (the highest value allowed)? And then gradually decrease them untli your problem is gone?
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

lvflyer

« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2011, 08:31:16 pm »
I take it this is Surge.  Thanks for replying.  Do you mean to change the refresh in the xml gauge themselves?  I was told not to touch the default timeout settings on the server by Geoff from FS-MP.  I had done that and it seemed to help, but in reality all it did was keep the image up even though the player had in reality disconnected.

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2011, 12:17:50 am »
Fellas...

Here is a quick update.  Since I missed including these in the release early this morning, simply UNZIP, then copy/paste these .DDS files into the SIMOBJECTS/AIRPLANES/SludgeFA-18_Basic/Texture folder and the same for the SludgeFA-18_FX/Texture folder.

Should be a quick/simple fix.

Later
Sludge

lvflyer

« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2011, 12:51:02 am »
In all the texture folders?

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2011, 02:05:35 am »
LV...

Just the Texture folder inside each Sludge version.  Doesnt work for the CS Delta Hornet as they use a different A/B effect.

Later
Sludge

lvflyer

« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:01 am »
So all the other textures alias the main texture folder?

Johan

« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:38 am »
Fellas...

Take the new girl for a test drive and tell me what you think... good/bad/indifferent... whatever.

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

I took her for a test drive all right...
Thank you Sludge and the team participants in this great upgrade. A lot more testing will be necessary for me.

What I liked upfront after 15 mn of testing tonight:
-power heat shimmer, looks more real-life.
-G-Vapor
-tail hook combined with IFLOS and wire gauges. Those 3 are meant to work together, except maybe on Serge's land missions. But you can still operate IFLOS and wire gauges independently from the hook with HOTAS.

What surprised me:
-after landing on the AC and releasing the brakes, I have no breaks anymore, neither with keyboard (period) nor with HOTAS button 1...and that's not good on the AC. Maybe I need to read the instructions over...
-the plane seems a little more unstable during approach. I will work on that after I realign my joystick to my liking.

Final point:
I was hoping to see the CSW HUD in the VC like we discussed earlier, but that might be the point where you were waiting for authorization...

I am looking forward to more testing and flying. Thanks for bringing this great plane to us and for keeping all the upgrades coming.

Johan

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2011, 06:06:46 am »
So all the other textures alias the main texture folder?

LV...

Yes, thats exactly how it works.  So if you have the newer effects inside the Sludge, IF you use the Sludge those .DDS files inside the Sludge Basic or FX will take precedence.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2011, 06:31:48 am »
Johan...

OK, in answer to your question, the brakes are part of the new "BASIC" folder .XML that sets them when the tailhook is down.  However, I anticipated this MIGHT happen, here's what you do:
In FSX\SIMOBJECTS\AIRPLANES\SludgeFA18_Basic and FX\PANEL\BASIC (and CS_FA18 and FX, if you have those installed) rename BASE.XML to BASE.XML.BAK, then rename BASE_2.XML to BASE.XML. What this will do is CANCEL the MLG brakes "trick" on touchdown and cat-shots.  You'll still get the uptrim 2.0 on flaps down, gear down, and get the auto-up elevator on LAUNCHBAR HOLD EXTENDED, but you wont get any of the brakes "trick".  I'm guessing you have brakes hooked up to your trigger and not on done thru rudder pedal toe brakes?  I read a few problems areas with this and might just get rid of the "tricks" for now? Its why I release it to you guys first with that secondary .XML ready for quick renaming.

If more people have their Toe Brakes set to a trigger function or something other than actual toe brakes on rudder pedals, let me know, and I'll just send out the Base.XML minus the brakes "trick".

Unstable on approach? Lateral, side-to-side maneuvering?  If so, tell me what its like.  Also, its getting closer to real as you HAVE TO add a little power before turning to a real-world Hornet, as the LSO guide and everything I've read NATOPS-wise says one of the problems is that the Hornet "settles" on LineUp corrections.  So IF its something more than that, and continues past your joystick re-cal, definately let me know.  Or is it holding nose up on approach?  I intentionally put 2.0 nose uptrim, so that its not entirely trimmed out... as id rather have you pulling a little nose up on approach, rather than nose down.  If the "unstability" is still there after your re-cal and its more difficult to hold lineup, let me know.

Yeah, sorry bout the CSW thing.  I've been having problems with CSW lately, and havent been able to get it working correctly again.  Maybe once this gets these bugs ironed out, I'll work on a FSDT-only CSW release?  Like I said, that cat-shot overspeed problem and subsequent "trick" I came up with delayed the release a week. I dont know when I can get CSW up and running again, but once I do and Im confident of WHY it failed, then I'll restart my work to incorporate that into the SludgeCombat, OK?

Still working on getting the MANUAL release out.  Will keep you guys up on the status of that... keep the inputs coming... thanks Johan.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:04:04 am by Sludge »

Johan

« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »
Thanks Sludge. I will work on all this and give you more feedback.

Johan

micro

« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2011, 06:11:12 am »
Sludge, simply outstanding work. I really like the new cat shots and effects. The ball window linked to the hook is a nice set-up too. I can’t say I’m a fan of the auto-trim with the gear and flaps. I have to push forward quite a bit on the climb out, and that may be due to the way I have my controls configured. Personally, I’d like to see a “takeoff trim” button or binding so it can be left up to the pilot to decide whether to use it or not. The other thing you might want to consider is that FS-Recorder does not record “pitot heat”, so the smoke with this new model isn’t visible in recordings. I would suggest linking the smoke to the “concorde nose” which is already an FS-Recorder variable. Other than those two things, you’ve got a big time winner. Nice job!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »
Micro...

Thanks.  I know you'd like the effects, and especially the automation on landing.

Now, when you talk about the auto-trim, do you mean the auto-elevator up on when doing a cat shot?  Or do you mean the 2.0 uptrim, and AFTER you've taken over the controls its still a pain to "push the nose over"? The reason I ask is, I set the 2.0 uptrim for gear and flaps down, so that even when landing at a land base, you still have a little bit of nose down (equalized with a tad bit of up pull) in the landing config, so its not just for carrier traps.

Will have to yap at you on Skype and get more of this figured out.  Maybe we can make that a button, like you said, will see on that one.

Yeah, I'll have to look into that about what buttons will show effects in FS-Recorder, since I know you and others like to use that for making great videos.

Im at work but will get on that when I get home and into the groove.

FELLAS....

Sorry about the MANUAL delay, but everytime I get ready to finish that, something comes up.  Last night, had to get back on the workout-mule, so I ran a couple miles and was DEAD TIRED when I got back.  I cant be a fat, dumb, and lazy slob all my life, so I hit the pavement but it knocked me out.  Ill try to get the MANUAL done and released tonight, as I know you guys who cant do the AUTO-INSTALLER want to mess with the CHARLIE version too.

All I ask is a little patience.  Remember, I'm just ONE GUY, I do this cause I love the FSX Hornet, and I definately dont get any pay for it.

Later
Sludge