Author Topic: How to read HUD and HSI indicators for VOR radial navigation  (Read 8390 times)

chupaflier

How to read HUD and HSI indicators for VOR radial navigation
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:21:46 am »
Hello:

I decided to post a new thread regarding VOR and radial navigation. I want to discuss things that I have found out and also ask some questions regarding this complex issue. Please be aware that you will need some basic knowledge about the subject to follow this post, I'll try explain my flight and the the VOR procedure as simple as possible.

I went into the cockpit without first creating a flight plan( as I always do) with the purpose to fly from KBUR to KPHX. I wanted to do a VOR approach then switch to ILS once close to KPHX. From http://www.airnav.com I got the information I needed to land on 7R( refer to image ILS_7R.jpg ). Once I took off and headed towards Phoenix(KPHX) I dialed my VOR FREQ ( refer to image TCN_103.JPG and TCN_103_Data.JPG ) When I was approximately 175 miles out I started to receive my VOR station so it was displayed in the HUD ( refer to image TCN_PXR_175mOut.JPG )

From this point it gets interesting and is where I have my questions
Once I was approximately 88 miles out I dialed my course (070) and selected the CSEL soft button on the HSI MFD ( refer to image CSEL_HSI.JPG ) Doing so displays a big arrow covering the whole HSI screen. This arrow indicates the direction in which I need to fly my approach so that I would end up more or less aligned to the runway 7R.
Question#1: Is this arrow telling me that I should turn left to intersect the arrow then turn right to heading 7?
Question#2: Is there any indication on the HSI regarding the distance from my aircraft to this imaginary line displayed by the arrow?

Now look at screeshot CSEL.JPG. The HUD is indicating that the imaginary line displayed by the arrow in the HSI is to my left.
Question#3: IDo the little squares on the HUD indicate the distance from my aircraft to this imaginary line displayed by the arrow? How?

[attachment deleted by admin]

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: How to read HUD and HSI indicators for VOR radial navigation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:35:12 pm »
Question#1: Is this arrow telling me that I should turn left to intersect the arrow then turn right to heading 7?

Yes, that's no different than the Cessna HSI. Since you were flying with an heading of about 90 degs, and the runway is 78, a good intercept route should have been anything *less* than 78 degs (but more than 78 - 90 degrees = 348 ), depending on your distance. If you were far, it would be possible to use a gentler intercept course, something like 50 degs. If you were close, a steeper steering might be needed, like 60-70 to the left so heading 18-20 in this case.

Question#2: Is there any indication on the HSI regarding the distance from my aircraft to this imaginary line displayed by the arrow?

No. At a certain point the HSI arrow will start to move, advising you to start the turn to the final heading. It's not really different than intercepting an ILS, just a different symbology.

Question#3: IDo the little squares on the HUD indicate the distance from my aircraft to this imaginary line displayed by the arrow?

They don't indicate a linear distance, but the angle of deviation. Don't recall exactly, but I think each dot represent 5 degrees.

SUBS17

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:30:59 pm »

Now look at screeshot CSEL.JPG. The HUD is indicating that the imaginary line displayed by the arrow in the HSI is to my left.
Question#3: IDo the little squares on the HUD indicate the distance from my aircraft to this imaginary line displayed by the arrow? How?

I wonder about this since the F-16 has a Command Steering cue(CMD STRG) in the HUD and that displays the direction you need to fly to intercept the ILS glide slope. I don't know if the Hornet has this feature.

chupaflier

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 01:56:54 am »
Here is another observation and question:
If you look at CSEL_HSI.JPG, the HSI scale is currently set to 40 miles and the arrow in approximately half way in between the aircraft symbol and the edge of the round compass circumference. Is it safe to infer that if I make a left turn to heading 340 I would need to go for 20 miles in that direction to intersect the arrow?

chupaflier

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 02:00:51 am »
They don't indicate a linear distance, but the angle of deviation. Don't recall exactly, but I think each dot represent 5 degrees.

Please explain. Angle of deviation from what?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:41:51 pm »
It's CDI angle. The angle of deviation between the airplane position and the desired course to the station. It's exactly like the Cessna C172 CDI, just presented a little bit different!