Author Topic: Suggestion - GA Airports  (Read 6460 times)

scottb613

Suggestion - GA Airports
« on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:53 pm »
All,

OK - I am brand new around here - so - just my two cents worth of a suggestion... I always loved the Flight Scenery (KPVD & KPDX) guys "Flight Zone" concept for doing airports... Pick the big airport you want to do but also include one or two smaller GA airports from the area as well... That way you cover the best of both worlds and drag the hard core GA guys into the mix as customers - who wouldn't normally buy a class Bravo package...

Regards,
Scott
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:47:31 pm by scottb613 »

bradl

Re: Suggestion - GA Airports
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:11:59 pm »
All,

OK - I am brand new around here - so - just my two cents worth of a suggestion... I always loved the Flight Scenery (KPVD & KPDX) guys "Flight Zone" concept for doing airports... Pick the big airport you want to do but also include one or two smaller GA airports from the area as well... That way you cover the best of both worlds and drag the hard core GA guys into the mix as customers - who wouldn't normally buy a class Bravo package...

Regards,
Scott

Not a bad idea.. raise the price on the product to something comparable, Buy a KLAX and get a KVNY in the deal? Or a KEWR and get a KTEB, or a KLAS and get a KVGT.. or even a KPHX and get a KCHD, KDVT, KFFZ, or KGEU, or KIWA in the deal.. Wonder if FSDT would go for something like that.

BL.

meshman

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:55:44 am »
Buy Kahului (PHOG) and get Kapalua and Hana also?

Buy Kona (PHTO) and get Waimea and Lanai also?

Hope Umberto is listening!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:25:53 pm by meshman »

RodgerJohnson

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:17:42 am »
Im lovin this idea!

-Rodger

BOOM

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:10:25 pm »
Great idea!!!!! Buy KLAX and couple it with Van Nuys KVNY,The cradle of GA Airports.
http://www.lawa.org/welcomevny.aspx

Patrick

meshman

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:32:53 am »
Everybody is hyped about Van Nuys? Been by there lately?

Despite the artistry exhibited by some of the developers, when I think of Van Nuys (and Yes, I have been a recent visitor) all I can think of is putting lipstick on a pig...

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:12 pm »
LOL!   :D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

bradl

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:49:59 pm »
Everybody is hyped about Van Nuys? Been by there lately?

Despite the artistry exhibited by some of the developers, when I think of Van Nuys (and Yes, I have been a recent visitor) all I can think of is putting lipstick on a pig...

I'm saying VNY because all of the other major SoCal airports have been done:

PSP? Shez Ansari.
ONT? Shez Ansari, and BlueSkyScenery.
SNA? Shez.
LGB? Shez.
BUR? Shez.
SBA? Al Wheeler.
SAN? See the Polls thread about that.

The only other 3 decent sized airports that could be done are Santa Monica, Van Nuys, and San Bernardino. I'm thinking that since VNY is the busiest GA Airport in the US, that it might be a good contender.

BL.

meshman

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »

The only other 3 decent sized airports that could be done are Santa Monica, Van Nuys, and San Bernardino. I'm thinking that since VNY is the busiest GA Airport in the US, that it might be a good contender.

BL.

All the listed airports have been done in FS9 and are nicely done for freeware releases. BTW, been to San Bernardino airport? More lipstick, please.

While the Hawai'i based smaller airports fit in well with any work that FSDT might do because of their proximity to the larger projects, do you really, honestly think that consumers are salivating for a payware Van Nuys or Montgomery Field or Mc Clelland-Palomar? The larger airports sell because of the tube flyers, not because of the low and slow crowd.

bradl

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:36 pm »

BL.

All the listed airports have been done in FS9 and are nicely done for freeware releases. BTW, been to San Bernardino airport? More lipstick, please.

Yes I have. Numerous times, plus drive by it each time I go to SoCal from my home in Vegas. It is now a towered field again, taking in cargo, and is A380 certified. Not to mention Customs is there, has a 12,000ft runway, and has been increasing in operations since they reopened the tower.

My point is that all other major SoCal airports have been made, except for KVNY. Everything else is smaller, and wouldn't be worth the time for FSDT to make, unless it was going to sell.

While the Hawai'i based smaller airports fit in well with any work that FSDT might do because of their proximity to the larger projects, do you really, honestly think that consumers are salivating for a payware Van Nuys or Montgomery Field or Mc Clelland-Palomar? The larger airports sell because of the tube flyers, not because of the low and slow crowd.

Hence why it would go in as a PACKAGE. Buy LAX, get LAX and VNY, or LAX and SMO. Buy DEN, get DEN and Centennial, JeffCo, FrontRange, or Erie. Buy MCI, Get Wheeler Downtown. Buy SAN, get Montgomery, Brown, or Gillespie. As you said, all in Proximity to their larger projects. That isn't hard to understand.

BL.

meshman

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:37:09 am »
Yes I have. Numerous times, plus drive by it each time I go to SoCal from my home in Vegas. It is now a towered field again, taking in cargo, and is A380 certified. Not to mention Customs is there, has a 12,000ft runway, and has been increasing in operations since they reopened the tower.

My point is that all other major SoCal airports have been made, except for KVNY. Everything else is smaller, and wouldn't be worth the time for FSDT to make, unless it was going to sell.

Hence why it would go in as a PACKAGE. Buy LAX, get LAX and VNY, or LAX and SMO. Buy DEN, get DEN and Centennial, JeffCo, FrontRange, or Erie. Buy MCI, Get Wheeler Downtown. Buy SAN, get Montgomery, Brown, or Gillespie. As you said, all in Proximity to their larger projects. That isn't hard to understand.

BL.

While it would be nice to get every airport in the Basin done to FSDT standards (how about Fullerton?), it's not wise business sense to think they would even consider doing so. You bought KLAS? Why didn't you wait until Henderson or N.L.V. was included? Because KLAS sells on it's own, it doesn't need N.L.V. to be a part of the package. Same for KLAX. No one is going to not buy unless Van Nuys or San Bernardino is included. Think San Diego will suffer without Brown Field being thrown in? Tube flyers drive the sales for FSDT products.

My comments and hopes for Hawai'i are to see as many airports done as possible and to see FSDT maximize their return for their work. Next package is Hilo and Lihue, two main airports. If they do another after that of Kona and Kahului, that's all the work that gets done IMO. But take Kona and couple it with Lana'i, then Kahului with Hana and Kapalua and there's a lot more coverage of smaller, but still important airports.

Bottom line that people forget, FSDT is trying to make money. Putting an extra like San Bernardino into a LAX package won't boost sales to offset time and effort, again IMO.

And I don't know how close you get when you "drive by it each time I go to SoCal from my home in Vegas.", but I'm peering through chain-link fences when I go visit a friend that lives about 1 mile from it. There's going to need to be a whole lot more development at that airport before it's not going to need extra makeup and lipstick.  ;D And with Kalifornia's economy..., that's going to be a while!

bradl

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 08:10:41 am »
While it would be nice to get every airport in the Basin done to FSDT standards (how about Fullerton?), it's not wise business sense to think they would even consider doing so. You bought KLAS? Why didn't you wait until Henderson or N.L.V. was included? Because KLAS sells on it's own, it doesn't need N.L.V. to be a part of the package. Same for KLAX. No one is going to not buy unless Van Nuys or San Bernardino is included. Think San Diego will suffer without Brown Field being thrown in? Tube flyers drive the sales for FSDT products.

You assume that it would be sold as an all or nothing package. I am not saying that to be the case. Nor have I ever said that. Hence why you could buy either/or. Could they make a better quality GA airport and sell it for less? Absolutely. Could they put it in a bundle with a major airport? absolutely. Could that major airport be sold on its own? Of course, as FSDT is doing that now. But your assumption that the 'tube flyers' is the only rationale driving FSDT sales is incorrect, as this thread alone indicates that there are others who want a GA airport-based product, and most are falling short to FSDT's quality. There are those who use MSFS as part of their training to become pilots, you know.

My comments and hopes for Hawai'i are to see as many airports done as possible and to see FSDT maximize their return for their work. Next package is Hilo and Lihue, two main airports. If they do another after that of Kona and Kahului, that's all the work that gets done IMO. But take Kona and couple it with Lana'i, then Kahului with Hana and Kapalua and there's a lot more coverage of smaller, but still important airports.

So it is okay for them to do this with Hawaii, but not okay with regards to another place?  ???  ::)

Bottom line that people forget, FSDT is trying to make money. Putting an extra like San Bernardino into a LAX package won't boost sales to offset time and effort, again IMO.

See above regarding standalone/bundled.

And I don't know how close you get when you "drive by it each time I go to SoCal from my home in Vegas.", but I'm peering through chain-link fences when I go visit a friend that lives about 1 mile from it. There's going to need to be a whole lot more development at that airport before it's not going to need extra makeup and lipstick.  ;D And with Kalifornia's economy..., that's going to be a while!

I go out of my way to take the I-215 over to SBD since it wraps around I-15 going up Cajon Pass up to Vegas. But I digress. My point still stands. Every other airport in the area that could be done is being done. BTW. Fullterton, Compton, Chino, Corona, Riverside, Banning, Pomona, Cable, and El Monte airports were also covered by BlueSkyScenery; just FYI.

BL.