Author Topic: AgustaWestland EH101  (Read 14854 times)

FSXCDRUSN

AgustaWestland EH101
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:25 am »
Love the challenge of flying the EH101 and perform all the hoist missions. 
My Question is: Is there a way to configure other FSX helos to use the hoist by modifing the Airplane file? 
I would like to use other helos to fly some of the mission that require hoist to complete.

Howrod

Re: AgustaWestland EH101
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:35:03 pm »
Hello, I also enjoy the EH101. I don't have an answer to your question, but have one of my own. I have posted my question on this site with no response so far. My question:

Does the throttle control in your EH101 constantly change high and low, with corresponding engine sounds? I seem to have no control over the throttle, but am able to control flight and hover with no problem. I don't know if this is "normal" or if I have a glitch.

Thanks,

Howard

FSXCDRUSN

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:17:51 am »
Howard,

No I have not noticed any throttle control issue. Mine is more along the line of I can't hover.  That is one of the reasons I was lookng to use other aircraft that are much more stable.  I have several other helo's that I have downloaded from Simviation and Abacus that have much better hover control.  I am getting better with the hoist actions but sling load flying is a real bear.  Takes the fun out of it.

Sorry no help with your challange. Thanks for responding

FSXCDRUSN 

Howrod

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:28:14 pm »
Hello, thanks for the response. I must have some issue that I will have to investigate further. It does not seem to affect performance.

About hovering the EH101, I recently made a major breakthrough in hovering. I was depending on the Vertical Speed Indicator, and after giving that much thought, payed more attention to the Attitude Indicator. At speed, I'll nose-up the EH101 10-15 degrees into the blue section of the indicator until the speed drops to zero. Then, while controlling torque with the pedals, drop the nose to between 5-10 degrees into the blue to maintain zero speed. To hover, you need to keep both hands and both feet busy. Use small movements of the controls. You can climb or descend while slowly operating the throttle, and if you anticipate lateral movement, you can control the hover with the torque pedals.

I find the EH101 easier to hover than the Jetranger or R22, but using the Attitude Indicator instead of watching the VSI seems to be the key to hovering. I can now hover the R22 at all altitudes. I was having trouble with the R22, constantly losing control, but now now.

Hope this helps.

Howard

BlakTiger47

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 03:38:50 am »
FSXCDRUSN,

I have experienced the same problem of not being able to get the aircraft into a stable hover. i can get it to fly level but not a stand still hover. I have tried reducing the sensitivity for my joystick, and that only seemed to make it more difficult to control. I'm not sure what's causing it but even my brother who prides himself on being able to control every other helo on FSX can't keep it under control.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make the EH-101 easier to handle?

Thanks

BlakTiger
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire

HC353PA

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 04:29:53 am »
Cruise on over to Hovercontrol.  Look at this link http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=02370de903d7648abfe069fbe3db79d3;act=ST;f=1;t=13451;st=0 and the response from Sleat.  The governor_pid values he supplies greatly lesson the engine surging and enhance the flyability of this model. 

I had another question for Virtuali s.a.s.  I understand you folks contributed the gauges.  I have noticed a few things that I would like to discuss and get some clarification on.  I am one of the staff member on Hovercontrol.com.  Would you please contact me there or via the e-mail I used to register for this forum.  Thank you.

Regards,
Panther

Howrod

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
Hello again, Panther. Speaking of gauges, I really miss a simple compass in the EH101 outside the virtual cockpit. The GPS is too big, shrinking it down makes it hard to read. For those with hovering problems, my own breakthrough was using the Attitude Indicator, nosing-up to 10-15 degrees into the blue of the Attitude Indicator until speed is bled off, then keeping the nose-up attitude into the blue. Then you can control altitude with the throttle.  I'm having no problems hovering now, despite the engine surging Panther speaks of.  Thanks again. Howard

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 09:34:18 pm »
To answer part of the original question asked by FSXCDRUSN regarding getting the hoists on other helicopters to work, the answer is certainly, yes, at least on the Piasecki H-21C "Shawnee".

Here is the code to paste into the aircraft cfg file (called sim.cfg in the H-21)to get the hoist working. (I am afraid I never had the time to work out the figures for the slinghook, but I reckon it can be done by trial and error too). These are just variations of the settings from the EH101 cfg file. The only bit that really needs altered are the "position" values if you want to edit it to work for other FSX helicopters.

[Sling.0]
hoist_extend_rate = 5               //Feet per second
hoist_retract_rate = -5             //Feet per second
//position = -34.7, 6.7, 7.0          //Feet from datum
position = 10.2, 4.65, 7.5          //Feet from datum
max_stretch = 2.0                   //Max stretch distance at ultimate load
//damping_ratio = 0.6                 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.
damping_ratio = 1.0                 //0 for no damping to 1.0 for critically damped.
rated_load    = 600                 //Characteristics tension of cable in pounds
ultimate_load = 2250                //Breaking force in pounds
tolerance_angle=45                  //Angle, in degrees, used to determine lateral breaking force limit
auto_pickup_range = 8              //Max Range, in feet, for auto-pickup
auto_pickup_max_speed = 8.5         //Maximum speed (feet per second) for auto-pickup
//hoist_payload_station = 4        //Payload station in which the hoist will load in and out of. 1 is first station.
//hoist_door=2                  //Door associated with hoist.  Must be open for use.
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

WDCPORET

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »
Along the same line. I also find it difficult hovering the EH101.  I did notice that on the Main Display there is a curious reference to system that would greatly assist in hovering; " ASE REL". ASE, (Automatic Stabiliztion Equipment) is particularly usefull in low external reference (over-water)and high altitude hovers.
It brings together all attitude controls and the RADALT (radar Altimeter) to maintain a stablized hover.

Is this type of guage available for this Helo? Since it is refered to on the display, was it ever part of the EH101?

The use of the Attitude VGI indicator is great and does work, Thanks for that tip.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 02:52:37 pm by WDCPORET »
USNCPORET
SAR AIRCREW

skimmer

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »
7.09kb (17892 downloads)
Modified .cfg file for the EH-101 helicopter of the FSX Acceleration pack. The original helicopter was to agile and I couldn't hover easily so I modified it a bit and now it hovers quite nice. A nice sidefect is that the top speed increased from 160 Knots to 220 Knots. You'll need to have the EH-101 from the FSX Acceleration pack.
                     You must go to the Simviation website on page 6 or 7 in the FSX helocopters section to find this it might help you with the hovering issue.

Skimmer :)      http://simviation.com/menu.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:14:24 pm by skimmer »

skimmer

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:42:22 pm »
PS. I did not make the fix. But I know it works well.

WDCPORET

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 05:07:43 am »
Skimmer    I thank you for the link and it does work. even at high realizm settings.

I appreciate the help. :)
USNCPORET
SAR AIRCREW