Author Topic: Suggestion.  (Read 262 times)

bcm652

Suggestion.
« on: April 19, 2024, 01:08:30 am »
It seems that some shady characters are pimping their female clients on this forum. I don't think it could be called censorship if this kind of spam was to be removed, it doesn't add anything to the regular discussions by this group.
I'm also a member of an ex-military forum on Facebook and this kind of spam wouldn't last two minutes by the administrators.
So, my suggestion is, get rid of it!, could I have a seconder please.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 01:10:04 am by bcm652 »

commpilot

Re: Suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 03:27:25 am »
As soon as Umberto sees them I am sure they will be gone.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 06:26:05 am »
I keep reporting it as spam, but as far as I know, Umberto is the only one who handles the forums and responds to support inquiries here, so if he's not here, not much any of us can do about it.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 03:18:35 pm »
These spammers always appeared every day, for years (that's why we require new accounts to be manually approved) and obviously their posts and their accounts are removed immediately, so you don't normally notice them.

It's just that I was away from the forum for 2 days, because I've catched an annoying cold, and that's what happens if you don't man the forum constantly, 24/7. It's also why I could never go in vacation in a place where I couldn't access the internet.

bcm652

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 09:50:27 pm »
Would it be possible to allow an individual member to delete or block a particular post that they find offensive.
Facebook allows you to, ''snooze'' or ''hide'' a posting and it disappears for 30 days and it just blocks that persons posting from from your view. That persons posting has not been deleted from the forum, only blocked from a persons view.

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 11:16:54 pm »
Would it be possible to allow an individual member to delete or block a particular post that they find offensive.
Facebook allows you to, ''snooze'' or ''hide'' a posting and it disappears for 30 days and it just blocks that persons posting from from your view. That persons posting has not been deleted from the forum, only blocked from a persons view.
Blocking individual people would depend on the forum software. I've never seen a forum that allowed people to block individual posts. Even then, that would make it challenging if people are just creating new accounts and doing all this anyway.
Captain Kevin

bcm652

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 12:40:25 am »
Facebook allows you to hide a post that you don't like, it only allows for you only, the post remains for others to look at on the forum, just not you. Three dots at the top of the posting will provide a drop down menu giving you some choices. I may not want to see that posting, but maybe others do.
Yes, it will require some software changes, but it can be done, Umberto can handle it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 12:49:05 am by bcm652 »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 12:58:37 am »
Facebook allows you to hide a post that you don't like, it only allows for you only, the post remains for others to look at on the forum, just not you. Three dots at the top of the posting will provide a drop down menu giving you some choices. I may not want to see that posting, but maybe others do.
Yes, it will require some software changes, but it can be done, Umberto can handle it.
I don't know if Faceplant is really a good comparison given that it isn't really a forum as you'd see here. In any event, from what I've seen, most developers that have forums select a provider that they use for the forum, and they can customize different categories and stuff like that. For stuff that you propose, they would be limited by what the forum software can do. Each forum software has their own quirks here and there. I don't know of any developer that actually built their own forum software completely from scratch.
Captain Kevin