Author Topic: Sludge Hornet Modifications  (Read 197970 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Re: Sludge Hornet Modifications
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2010, 08:37:30 pm »
Serge...

Now can/does FSX simulate humidity/relative humidity?  I know it does temp and dew point, so I'm guessing Maybe I'm just reaching on this one?  The reason Im asking is that one of the effects will be humidity vapor while in landing config. (</- 6K' AGL, high humidity?,landing alpha,flaps); it'll be thin micro-vapor that occurs when the air is saturated and not having to pull Gs or high alpha.  You often see this on airlines, over the wing, when landing in humid "muggy" conditions, and can see it in that video Raz posted about our "vapor logic".

And thanks, Ill get to work on putting the ALA in the [smoke] section.  I was thinking about using common effects for the lights, but on second thought the only ones that will have it will be Sludge Hornet users anyway, so Ill stick to using your lights.  Also, a possible side-effect fix might getting rid of the lights sometimes activating when the gear is retracted?  As it does now if used in the lights section.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:55:53 pm by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »
Orion...

I got all the modifiers to work, just forgot add the ";&amp ;&amp" on the subsequent exceptions and they work like a champ.  So its pretty much just like before and I can give the G Vapor or any other effect a baseline activation (ie, G force = 4.5) with the exceptions (only 180 KIAS/higher or 25k' baro/lower) and those exceptions stick just like before.

Later
Sludge

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2010, 09:31:36 am »
Now can/does FSX simulate humidity/relative humidity?  I know it does temp and dew point, so I'm guessing Maybe I'm just reaching on this one?  

Will this http://www.ehow.com/how_5619620_calculate-humidity-temperature-dew-point.html help?
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »
Serge...

Thanks, will see what I can do.   I guess what I was asking is "will it matter"?  Does FSX even account for humidity?  Or does it's weather system just have temp and dew point and not do anything with them?

Also, I moved the ALA to the [smoke] section.  Works great, and so far, no extraneous lighting when the gear is raised.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:04:18 pm by Sludge »

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2010, 06:50:56 am »
Sludge,
here are some comments, found on forums, regarding dew/humidity issue:

If we could only teach FSX about humidity, the water vapor (vapour) clouds would take care of themselves.

Alas, MSFS doesn't incorporate relative humidity.

...the MSFS engine doesn't model humidity..

etc.

However you can use SimConnect to set/get weather conditions, based on Metar format, which includes temperature/dewpoint section.
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

GOONIE

« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2010, 08:42:09 pm »

Sludge,

Regarding the heat shimmer/dirty exhaust effect for the engines, I was flying around the other day with the fuel dumps on with the sludge hornet, check out the pictures below where the fuel looks like very faint exhaust effect. I think this effect looks pretty decent, just needs to be moved from the rudder fuel dump ports to the engine outlets. What do you guys think of the look of the fuel dump effect? Can this effect be made to be on at all times (no fuel dumping) and in the correct location (engines)?
-Capt

"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Razgriz

« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:47 pm »
I think its way too fine and small to be engine exhaust.

trent

« Reply #262 on: September 25, 2010, 12:38:40 pm »
Heh if you want to play that game, I noticed two on the first 15 seconds.  I'll watch the full video clip later, I have to get going.

- 30 degree rotation after catapult launch
Yup, that's definitely an area for improvement ;-)  Reason behind the wildly aggressive climbout is that I simply had that as my game plan post cat launch (arbitrarily try to level exactly at 150knts and 600ft).  Or, put differently, no-one had schooled me in post-cat launch etiquette prior to recording that trap ;-)

- off speed for the turn and climb

Now *that* I'm a little surprised with.  Where's it say you need to be on-speed *that* early in the pattern?  (Serious question, not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it.  Is it in NATOPS and I just missed it or something?)

Assuming you're the same Razgriz as in the VRS forum... heh... the 150knts @ 600ft came from Deacon.  He mentioned on numerous occasions that maintaining 150knts in the pattern (i.e. mainly downwind) was far more important that trying to stay on-speed in order to maintain spacing (otherwise there would be lots of different closure rates between each aircraft if everyone flew on-speed).

Now, that being said, just about everything else I've read, including NATOPS bits that come with the VRS documentation... all alludes to getting on-speed much earlier, basically as soon as you level wings after turn to downwind you should be trimming and adjusting power for hands off on-speed flight.

I'm sticking to 150knts @ 600 now 'cause it's a bit easier ;-)

trent

« Reply #263 on: September 25, 2010, 02:13:20 pm »

Perhaps Trent was trying to get the ball in the middle but he was not making enough control inputs to get there quickly enough and started to go higher in close to get back down for a landing that seems acceptable. Trent did have Opt AoA mostly during the straightaway which was good. Overall a good attempt IMHO with the comment that I think Trent was trying to be 'too smooth' and not flying with enough accuracy perhaps because of trying to be 'too smooth'?

Man, you know what, that's some awesome feedback.  You absolutely nailed it -- I was completely consumed with trying to be smooth from right about the time I got on-speed around the 90 'til I trapped.  It was subconscious, too -- I didn't even know I was doing it until reading your comment.  Because trying to be smooth took over everything else, accuracy suffered.  Granted, not by a huge degree, it was still a 3 wire with pretty decent AoA, lineup and GS, but I definitely understand how I let the subconscious drive for smoothness prevent me from making small corrections along the way (which would have resulted in a less aesthetically pleasing approach, and hey, I was recording it (and the 50+ traps before it), which was probably the biggest catalyst in trying to make it smooth).

Amusingly, had you just left this comment regarding smoothness, I would have come back and questioned whether that meant an untidy (relative) yet accurate pattern would be preferable to a silky-smooth looking yet not-so-accurate one?

....which just happens to be the perfect segue into this enlightening next comment ;-)

Carrier landings are not civilian / airforce style approaches. When viewed from inside/outside they can look/sound a little rough but what is needed are the three parameters as close to ideal as humanly possible. Nothing else matters. I have seen from the outside A4Gs approaching where the engine smoke is dramatically back and forth but the LSO is OK with that to give a good grade with the nose moving a little but glidepath excellent. That is what it is about - getting the parameters correct and keeping them there despite slight deviations - not accepting any deviation for any time and anticipating when the aircraft might be deviating, to get back to required parameters ASAP.

Haha, I can see why Sludge was anticipating your feedback.  That is a frickin' big dose of mind-altering enlightenment.  Prior to now, I've always assumed the almighty 'OK, 3' would be reserved for only the smoothest, silkiest approaches.  I've also watched about a billion real-life carrier traps on youtube and whatnot and, recently, have been quite surprised with how... uhhhh... aesthetically-displeasing some (most?) of the approaches (wings level on final to trap) have been.  Huge (immediate) corrections, massive (transient) stabilator/aileron deflections, basically... anything but pretty.  Here's a perfect example of what I'm refering to at 5:41:

Prior to reading your feedback, I wouldn't have classed that as pretty or silky-smooth.  I was surprised to see how big some of the corrections were... especially right before trapping (huge control surface deflections).  But, after reading your feedback, it sounds like in real life, traps like that are the norm.  That pilot was prioritising accuracy over all else, and as soon the approach parameters deviated from an acceptable level, corrections were immediately made.  I think he ended up with a 3 wire trap, too.

Now, as to all this focus on aesthetically-pleasing, silky-smooth-over-all-else patterns.  I think I know what's to blame ;-)

(wish there was a youtube posting of this video so I could embed it)

I came across that video ages ago, and it was my first introduction into what a carrier pattern, approach and trap should look like.  It's a pretty frickin' good movie.  The information in it is invaluable, and it's presented by someone who clearly knows what he's talking about.  However, all the patterns flown in that video are absolutely impeccable.  The pattern and trap shown between 0:30-1:00 is pure sex -- I can't imagine how you'd get a smoother approach and trap than that.  Unfortunately, that video makes it look too easy for it's own good -- flying an approach *that* smooth is frickin' hard, if not completely and utterly impossible for someone just starting out.

So, factoring in your comments, I have an even greater appreciation for that first pattern (which is so smooth because next to no corrections need to be made, not because the pilot opts for smoothness over accuracy).  I kinda' get the feeling that maybe 1 in every 50 (100?) real-life patterns/traps would come together that perfectly, where every parameter is so on-the-ball for the entire duration that next to no corrections need to be made.  OK 3, UNDERLINED?

How can we know any of this from a low quality video? Not really; but we can get the drift of some of it perhaps. A video alone - without pilot text explanation - leaves too much conjecture on part of the viewer. Anyway take the criticism as not directed at Trent individually but as an example of what is required for carrier landings: precision with the pilot's best attempt at getting there and staying there.

Did I say it ain't easy? Personally I would not claim such precision but by golly I'm trying to get there and to stay there as best I can. Probably my worst A4G carrier landing flaw (amongst everything imaginable) in retrospect would be my 'attempt' to be smooth, at the expense of better accuracy. On reflection (and after seeing others in the real world from the outside) I should have been willing to be more accurate and less smooth - if that makes any sense.

In FSX we are lucky that we can do endless carrier landings that we can walk away from. Soon more FSX FCLP missions will be available, which is where one is more likely to perfect techniques that will work during carrier landings. Carrier landings require precision and regular practice for sure.

Fantastic feedback, really.  It's amazing how enlightening the advice is from people who have actually been there, done that in real life ;-)  Greatly appreciate it!  I look forward to putting it into practice ASAP.

Just to encourage people to use the SLUDGE Hornet (rather than default) will help them a lot to do better carrier landings. I have read comments suggesting that the VRS SuperBug is a framerate killer and if this impacts on aircraft handling 'reality' (unknown to me) then this is never a good thing.

Yeah, I'll give you that, the Superbug is pretty CPU intensive, and thus, it can be a framerate killer in certain circumstances.  There are lots of little things you can do (settings wise) to improve things though.  When I'm practicing carrier traps over and over in the Superbug, I've found some settings that get me a consistent ~30-35fps @ 1920x1080 with no major reduction in virtual cockpit quality.  (Fraps will rip that to pieces though... best I can get is half-sized 24 fps.)

And just as a final note, I have nothing against the Sludge Hornet -- I even spent a few hours trying it out for the first time this evening (many more to come) and really enjoyed it over the stock Hornet.  The fly-by-wire system the VRS guys have implemented for the Superbug is fantastic though -- it's amazing how much enjoyable carrier patterns are without the need to constantly trim for level flight (Superbug will maintain level 1g flight when hands are off controls).  I couldn't believe how much of my attention span had to be devoted to trimming when I took the Sludge & stock Hornet out for a few laps.

Actually, I'll go as far as saying that the Superbug has ruined flying for me in non-FBW aircraft that require trimming, both in real-life and in FSX ;-)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2010, 03:48:24 pm »
trent, 'OK 3 wire' is the best all round explanation of carrier landing & FCLP that I have seen - sadly it is not done with the SLUDGE Hornet. Sludge hisself has made an excellent series of 'how to carrier land' clips in FSX, they may well be in this thread, or a recent one. However it is always difficult to see detail in enough detail just from a video clip. One has to be there - if all we have are videos then that is what we have.

Practice Practice Practice. Meatball, Lineup & Airspeed. Soon more FCLP missions will become available with a total darkness session that will prove to be more than difficult for most. However the FCLP can start during daytime and successive missions will be in darker times around sunset to ease into the total dark FCLP session. More can be said about FCLP when these missions become available.

Probably the most difficult scenario is carrier landing in FSX; while people attempt it before knowing much about how to go about it, or doing any FCLP beforehand. If that means some will not attempt further carrier landings then that is a pity. Having the SLUDGE Hornet to carrier land/FCLP makes a huge difference (all the extras such as the new clear HUD are included in latest SLUDGE). I cannot stress how much easier it is to do NavAv with this aircraft. All this has been explained in numerous threads. All involved with making the SLUDGE work 'oughta be congratulated'. ;D

If one keeps in mind that if you are not making corrections or anticipating making a correction in the next millisecond then something is wrong. However depending on the setup [Large Screen, Fast Computer/Video Card etc.] one has for FSX it can be very difficult to see enough detail during an approach. So be it - do your best - always strive for the best you can achieve on any approach. And Practice Practice Practice. Carrier Landings and FCLP should never be boring.

New carrier pilots do something in the order of 80-100 'bounces' (FCLP landings) mostly at night before going near a carrier for the first time. The 1,000 trap deck lander seen in the video above has probably done as many (a wild guess) 'bounces' (graded also by an LSO) over that time. Bear in mind if a pilot is not current for deck landing he needs to be requalified (with many bounces beforehand). Night FCLP will get your heart rate up.  ;D  And it will be obvious why night carrier landings are not done via a circuit but by some kind of gentle instrument approach. These are only my opinions, and I don't fly other aircraft in FSX except the T-45C Goshawk by Dino (sometimes) and other reasonable NavAv aircraft (where realism often is not very good).

One comment about control movements is that like formation flying (one never hits the the leader) the pilot does what it takes (within reason) to stay on meatball lineup and airspeed. NavAv aircraft are especially controllable in the approach configuration (with the F-14 probably being the least of recent USN aircraft). It is instructive to realise how the F-35C was modified especially to be a better carrier landing aircraft - to not only fly slow enough but be very responsive at that slow speed. LSOs can comment on 'over controlling' so there are limits. Probably anticipating the next change and then anticipating the correction etc. is the key once your eye is used to seeing the ball accurately. Whatever.  :D
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

trent

« Reply #265 on: September 25, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »
trent, 'OK 3 wire' is the best all round explanation of carrier landing & FCLP that I have seen - sadly it is not done with the SLUDGE Hornet. Sludge hisself has made an excellent series of 'how to carrier land' clips in FSX, they may well be in this thread, or a recent one. However it is always difficult to see detail in enough detail just from a video clip. One has to be there - if all we have are videos then that is what we have.

Yeah the infamous Mr. fgrimley32 pointed me towards his videos on youtube (before I'd worked out that he was Sludge).  They're very good.  The most recent carrier pattern he uploaded is significantly better than mine in numerous places.

Probably the most difficult scenario is carrier landing in FSX; while people attempt it before knowing much about how to go about it, or doing any FCLP beforehand. If that means some will not attempt further carrier landings then that is a pity. Having the SLUDGE Hornet to carrier land/FCLP makes a huge difference (all the extras such as the new clear HUD are included in latest SLUDGE). I cannot stress how much easier it is to do NavAv with this aircraft. All this has been explained in numerous threads. All involved with making the SLUDGE work 'oughta be congratulated'. ;D

Heh, you should try the Superbug.  It's just as dreamy to fly, without the need to trim ;-)  You'd be surprised how liberating it is to not have to devote essential brain cycles to trimming (and wrestling with incorrect trim choices when your bucket's too full to re-trim (final roll-out to trap)), which of course is especially evident in carrier patterns.

If one keeps in mind that if you are not making corrections or anticipating making a correction in the next millisecond then something is wrong.

Ahh!  Yet more golden nuggets of reaffirmation.  I haven't heard anyone state it like that before, but thinking back on the past 200+ traps I've flown, you're spot on (again).  Kinda' makes me think of the ol' "step-on-the-rudders" wiggle move you do with your feet when you're on finals in a taildragger, just to make sure your brain and feet are ready to work together as quickly as possible in order to counter any out-of-parameter situations.  With a carrier landing, you just get fed a whole lot more out-of-parameter situations a whole lot quicker ;-)

However depending on the setup [Large Screen, Fast Computer/Video Card etc.] one has for FSX it can be very difficult to see enough detail during an approach. So be it - do your best - always strive for the best you can achieve on any approach. And Practice Practice Practice. Carrier Landings and FCLP should never be boring.

I quite like my setup ;-)

Track IR 5 + 48" 1080p + a ghetto-rigged HOTAS-PlaySeat (plus a pretty decent machine) makes for some fun carrier patterns.

New carrier pilots do something in the order of 80-100 'bounces' (FCLP landings) mostly at night before going near a carrier for the first time. The 1,000 trap deck lander seen in the video above has probably done as many (a wild guess) 'bounces' (graded also by an LSO) over that time. Bear in mind if a pilot is not current for deck landing he needs to be requalified (with many bounces beforehand). Night FCLP will get your heart rate up.  ;D  And it will be obvious why night carrier landings are not done via a circuit but by some kind of gentle instrument approach.

Have you seen Speed and Angels?  It's freely available on hulu.com if you're in the States ;-)  There's a section in it that covers night CQ'ing done by two Tomcat nuggets -- very interesting.  And yeah, I was wondering why they had such a cruisey night approach ;-)  (800 ft at 5 mile, gentle glide all the way in.)

These are only my opinions, and I don't fly other aircraft in FSX except the T-45C Goshawk by Dino (sometimes) and other reasonable NavAv aircraft (where realism often is not very good).

I can think of one other NavAv aircraft you'd like ;-)

One comment about control movements is that like formation flying (one never hits the the leader) the pilot does what it takes (within reason) to stay on meatball lineup and airspeed. NavAv aircraft are especially controllable in the approach configuration (with the F-14 probably being the least of recent USN aircraft). It is instructive to realise how the F-35C was modified especially to be a better carrier landing aircraft - to not only fly slow enough but be very responsive at that slow speed. LSOs can comment on 'over controlling' so there are limits. Probably anticipating the next change and then anticipating the correction etc. is the key once your eye is used to seeing the ball accurately. Whatever.  :D

Nod, I was aware that Hornet's are well-renowned for their excellent handling at high alpha.  (I think it was Sludge who posted some awesome links earlier in this thread that had some History/Military channel covering DACT between Navy Hornets and German Mig-29s.  In debrief the Germans were well impressed with the Hornet's slow speed, high alpha maneuverability (and the Yanks with the Mig's crazy ballistic thrust-to-weight).)

Thanks again for the feedback and insight, you've unleashed a couple more gems for me to mull over...

(Anyone else think we're overdue for some regularly scheduled SFCarrier2 MP sessions? I vaguely recall Razgriz mentioning that it was pretty common Saturday occurrence in the past...)

trent

« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2010, 05:57:09 pm »
Back to the video.... Downwind we see an acceptance of the fast (red chevron). The aircraft needs to be at Optimum Angle of Attack - trimmed - downwind ASAP. Aircraft too long fast and in turn which was good getting on centreline by crossing the wake well. I'll have to count the seconds in the groove because time in the groove may have been not ideal. [Have looked again at video to count from 'wings level' at the start that groove length was a little long at 22 seconds.]

Yeah this is definitely an area I'm not happy with...  I'm yet to find the holy grail of abeam distance, turn rate/AOB, speed, descent rate, TCN distance to be able to consistently roll out wings level at 3/4 mile, tracking centerline, and on glidescope.  I find it easier to delay the turn to final a bit (as in that video... I think I was abeam at 1.1 and waited 'til 1.2-1.3 miles TCN before turning in)... or rather, when I delay the turn a bit, I find it a lot easier to roll wings level on centerline.  Unfortunately, when I do that, I end up way, way too long in the groove.

If I try tighten things up a bit in order to get my time in groove down to a more acceptable level, everything else goes to shite.  I'll either roll out and be on glidescope, but not even remotely close to centerline, or will be tracking centerline but be wildly off-speed and/or off glidescope.

I kinda' feel like (at least partially) blaming the 4.0 FSX glidescope versus the 3.5 RL issue here.  All the NATOPS docs and whatnot have precise guidelines on ideal abeam distance, AOB, descent rate and VV placement throughout the entire turn from downwind to final, altitude checkpoints at 90 (450ft), etc.  I'm sure there's a magic set of CV BRC + wind strength + wind orientation settings in FSX that would allow for the NATOPS guidance to work, but I have nfi what they are.  If I knew that, though, I'd be able to set myself consistent abeam distance + AOB + 90 checkpoint altitude + roll-out altitude + ideal time-in-grove figures, and then (try and) follow them religiously.

Would be nice to know what that 'OK, 3' video was shot with (wind and carrier orientation wise).  That final turn was beautiful.  Held exactly 750ft/m descent, on speed, centered ball and lineup all the way from wings level to trap.

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »
trent, looks like you have a useful setup for FSX. Mine is very ordinary with a very old wobbly Sidewinder Pro stick and a 21 inch cathode tube monitor. The thing is though - I'm used to it, I have tried other sticks and they don't fly well compared to the Sidewinder - even though it is wobbly (through over use in other non flight sim games). The thing I think would be good is the TrackIR or equivalent setup to be able to 'look and see' without having to be hobbled by other methods of looking into a turn for example.

Too much emphasis can be put 'on the numbers'. Yes it is important to be accurate as possible but in real life (during a return from a carrier mission by day) those numbers are very flexible except perhaps the altitude and getting on speed quickly. This is where experience (through practice) counts. IF the weather conditions are the same then quickly one can adjust to required base turn point. IF that is incorrect one can adjust during the turn by making a sharper turn initially then widening the turn at the end to get to the ideal 'start' point. But then you have to be looking into the turn at the carrier to judge this by eyeball. Doing things always by numbers is OK at the start - then you have to start eyeballing for fine adjustments because your return to the carrier for that single approach is never going to be 'on the numbers' for a lot of reasons. However I acknowledge this is a simulator and there are lots of limitations so flying on instruments can be one way to overcome the limitations - yet I'm asking that you develop your 'eye' about these issues also so that you can fly the pattern visually and then adjust accordingly in real time as best you can.

Here it is important to say that if you are not where you should be then 'go there'. Don't aim to smoothly fly to the right position. Go there now. Don't wait. Make corrections now - don't wait. Don't accept anything less. Yes you will have errors but you will be correcting them ASAP. Remember airforces fly smoothly - NavAvers fly the ball. Naval Aviators fly the aircraft, Air Force types let the aircraft fly them (because they aim to be smooth on a 10,000 foot concrete runway embedded in the ground).  ;D

When doing FCLP it is easy to fly by landmarks, however remember that mostly FCLP is done at night when landmarks are less apparent. The ocean has no landmarks. So adjusting the carrier pattern to what you see relative to the carrier is important. Yes TACAN is more accurate today but it is a guide only IMHO - a guide to how I'm going to adjust to get back to the ideal. You are landing on a carrier. Fly the carrier - fly that meatball. Fly the meatball as soon as you see it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:42:05 pm by SpazSinbad »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2010, 11:27:24 pm »
‘Speed & Angels’ would be one of the great NavAv documentaries. An excellent storyline, well told about how it all comes together with many hiccups along the way - real life. "FOX 2" in that high voice must be chilling when heard - what a great character she is - "Just watch me". :-) Another good doco is the recent ‘CARRIER’ series from your US PBS network. How it all works on a Hornet squadron is well told especially when the CO takes over the tanker mission from the nugget on a bad night. No one expects that a newbie can handle everything on their first cruise.

‘OK 3 wire’ has excellent graphics and in game video clips. What makes the instruction outstanding is very professional editing and script to go with it. Don't believe that any one scene has not been edited to give the impression you see. Nothing wrong with that - that editing is what makes the instruction so worthwhile. It is rivetting stuff. And why not? It is NavAv after all.  ::)

Back to FSX and the SLUDGE (Hornet). Using the Sludge or default Hornet is what this forum is about. Talking about other aircraft is useful but not really in the realm of this forum. I'll refuse to use any other Hornet in FSX except the SLUDGE.  ;D

It is valuable experience to fly FCLP - lots of experience with making adjustments in the same conditions to perfect your technique. That is another question: Do you think you understand the NavAv technique - and use it? Trimming should be second nature and not even in one's consciousness. Just do it. Just fly the ball. Nothing else matters.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:39:00 pm by SpazSinbad »

SpazSinbad

« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2010, 11:47:21 pm »
Found the best quality example of the 1999 LSO Reference Manual PDF (5.5Mb) here:

http://63.192.133.13/VMF-312/LSO.pdf

Lots of insight can be gleaned about how accurate carrier flying needs to be (to satisfy an LSO anyway). Mostly the AirBoss will be glad you are back but cranky if you break stuff.  ;D