Author Topic: Do you want to move the aircraft into the default position? - Alternate stands  (Read 2078 times)

DarrianCZE

Hi! With the release of Tailstrike Prague, we have an implementation of alternate stands (stands 3A and 3B as an alternative to stand 3). GSX is working with this relatively well, but it of course understandably recognizes that I am not properly parked at the stand, and is spamming me with a question whether I want to move the aircraft into the default position. That would be completely fine to ignore, but I have unfortunately noticed, that when I do this in the boarding, it will disconnect the jetway from the aircraft, and, during the boarding, I am unable to recall that jetway back via the GSX.

Is there any chance to change the GSX, not to mess with the jetway in this scenario? Many thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Have you set the new option to specify a different (lower) threshold distance for those parking spots ?

DarrianCZE

« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 12:47:55 pm by DarrianCZE »

DarrianCZE

Ah! Found it. How can I use it exactly? No mention of this in the manual, and no tooltip in the field.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Ah! Found it. How can I use it exactly? No mention of this in the manual

Page 34 of the Manual. Lowering this value should allow making alternate parking stand position being recognized by GSX correctly.

DarrianCZE

Thank you! Fixed. However, I still have an issue that when I connect the jetway via Operate Jetway in the GSX, it will correctly connect to the plane, however, when I request Boarding, it will disconnect the jetway for some reason.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
however, when I request Boarding, it will disconnect the jetway for some reason.

Is this only happening on these very close positions ?

DarrianCZE

From the rough testing I have just done, yes.

DarrianCZE

Hi Umberto, news.

The behavior with the jetway disconnecting when selecting Boarding now happened again, at a stand which has no alternate stands, so a completely normal stand with a jetway.

I have taxied at the stand, which was pre-selected during taxi, shutdown the engines, operated the jetway via GSX, then opened the doors and selected Deboarding. Then, GSX had disconnected the jetway, but passengers then deboarded like the jetway was present.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Your report is not very useful without a precise report. I'll copy here a post I made on GSX creators Discord server, which might clarify any current issues with Jetways, especially when using the SU10 Navdata API:

Any time you see issues of passengers with the SU10 Navdata  Enabled, it's normal, and it's due to limitations in the API ( which is why, we don't enable it by default, because it's still incomplete ).  The problem is, the API only tells if a parking has a jetway, nothing else. We don't have any information about its position, so when Navdata is Enabled, GSX must first search all objects in the scene trying to guess which ones might be jetways, based on their names. Then, it tries to figure it out the one is associated with the parking spot you are in, searching for the closest one on the left quadrant of the parking radius ( + some overlap because some jetways are placed right of the parking center ).  If there are parking spots with DOUBLE jetways, a "proper" animated jetway and another one a static that has been represented by the same Simobject, there's no way for GSX to know for sure the right one; they are both Simobjects, with the same name and the static one might be the closest to your plane.

None of this happens when we read the .BGL. In that case, we know all jetway positions from the .BGL, so it's very easy to identify a jetway, by matching the coordinates in the .BGL with the coordinates of the objects found in the scene, and GSX can't be confused by double jetways or jetways placed in weird ways, outside the allowed overlap for the left/right quadrants of the parking radius, and there aren't any issue with the names.
ALL of this should be fixed with the SU12 SDK, which will add lots of new information about jetways through Simconnect: we'll get the position, the parking spot associated to it, the jetway current status (docked/undocked/moving), which airplane is docked to and, most importantly, the actual position of the Jetway controlling Bones ( Primary and Secondary Handles ), which can be used to know where the jetway has docked, exactly, and this will fix even the issue of jetways not pivoting on their center.

SU12 will come out in March, but we expect the Beta starting sometime in January, which should give us enough time to add it to GSX in time for the general release, and if everything works as expected, GSX should then work with Jetways as reliably as it was in P3D, so people might hopefully stop assuming "passengers are bugged", which is ENTIRELY caused by lack of data about Jetways in the SDK, coupled with the bugs the Jetway system has on its own, like Jetways docking in absurd positions ( for example, reversed on the catering door ). With the info about the position of the bones, we'll be able to detect exactly how the jetway ended up after the animation ( impossible today), so it would be trivial to always have passengers walking the correct path.

Even the supposed disconnection, is likely related to all the above issues about detecting the correct jetway, which is less reliable using the SU10 Navdata, until will be completed as explained, in SU12.

DarrianCZE

This is all very nice, except I am not using the Navdata API. I have it disabled.

DFWSupertrooper

Thanks, Umberto. This explanation makes sense to me and why it only happens on some airports while others work perfectly. I couldn't figure out why airports from certain fantastic developers weren't working and what he was doing wrong with jetways. Turns out he wasn't really - just different than others obviously. Can't wait for SU12 because GSX but also these great airports. Can't wait for KIAH - looking like it might be your first post-GSX masterpiece!

Seth2413

So we have to wait until march before this works???!?.  I get this everytime now.  It used to work, last update broke it? 

Seth2413

You have mentioned countless times that all this will be fixed in SU12.  You also mention that being tested with the SU12 beta.  Has there been progress on this to suggest that it will be fixed in SU12?  I have this issue every time now its laughable.  Yes you talk about limitations with MSFS and the SDK but this used to work fine for me and there was a point where it just stopped working and has now stayed that way which I understand is from the limitations of the SDK.  But as I say is their progress, are you confident this will be fixed in SU12 because I also believe it has been put back? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
I have this issue every time now its laughable.  Yes you talk about limitations with MSFS and the SDK but this used to work fine for me and there was a point where it just stopped working and has now stayed that way which I understand is from the limitations of the SDK.  But as I say is their progress, are you confident this will be fixed in SU12 because I also believe it has been put back?

I don't know what you are trying to say with your "laughable" comment, as if you never took care to read or understand what I wrote, and yet it was quite clear.

So, I'll try again with a different post of mine, that is probably better written, and is the one that was THE MOST VOTED in the last Q&A session, and explains quite clearly what the issues are, with regard to jetway handling, and their identification and, most importantly, their current status.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sdk-q-a-ask-your-questions-here/552074/11

Obviously, most users UNDERSTOOD how limited the SDK currently is with regard to jetways ( it's even worse when the SU10 Navdata is used, since we no longer have data from the .BGL ), which why the thread was the most voted.

Obviously, Asobo/Microsoft realized how much important information is missing to have any kind of add-on working reliably with jetways, which is why they confirmed the SU12 SDK will include all the data we need.

Later on, Asobo posted a draft how the jetway additions to the current Navdata will be and, ON PAPER, they look fine and should include everything we need.

In PRACTICE, this needs to be tested ( that's why there's testing for SU12 ), we'll have to see if all the features works, we need to report to Asobo if there are issues, we must hope that whatever issue we'll find in testing will be fixed before release and, of course, we need to wait for the SU12 to come out before we can release a GSX update.

This is EXACTLY the SAME as before SU10 came out, when GSX couldn't even work on Marketplace airports. Now it can, because we released the update to use the SU10 Navdata, not long after SU10 came out officially.