Author Topic: Some 3rd party airports are not found  (Read 12111 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Some 3rd party airports are not found
« on: August 25, 2022, 12:34:37 pm »
By default, GSX will skip .BGL files larger than 4MB when building its internal database, because usually the airport data is smaller, but some developers might combine other objects in it, so it can be larger than this. Skipping files larger than a certain size because they are not surely airports, is done to speed up startup time.

You can change the default value used by GSX, by adding this on a new line in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl_MSFS.INI ( after the log line, if you have one )

airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes = 20000000

This will scan files up to 20MB, if you find any airports bigger than this, you'll have to increase the value further. It's expressed in bytes, so in this case is 20 millions.

immadario

Re: Some 3rd party airports are not found
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 01:18:38 am »
Hi,

I have this problem with rdpresets LIRN (bought from 3rd party website, not marketplace). Even after applying the fix to my couatl_MSFS.ini gsx still reads the default .bgl file, so all the parking spots have the wrong numbers, etc. Is there anything else I can do to solve this problem?

P.S: I attached my couatl_MSFS.ini to the message.

Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 01:24:44 am »
I have this problem with rdpresets LIRN (bought from 3rd party website, not marketplace).

How big is the airport file ?

Flightdoc

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 03:00:08 am »
>>by adding this on a new line in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl_MSFS.INI

Sorry I'm not clear where to find this INI file -- I don't appear to have a /Virtuali directory in my APPDATA folder..

thanks
Flightdoc

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 03:06:41 am »
Sorry I'm not clear where to find this INI file -- I don't appear to have a /Virtuali directory in my APPDATA folder.

It's normal if you never changed a setting, in any case, we released an update now, and the default value is now 30MB.

immadario

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 01:14:39 pm »
I have this problem with rdpresets LIRN (bought from 3rd party website, not marketplace).

How big is the airport file ?

It's 430 kB
Sorry I'm not clear where to find this INI file -- I don't appear to have a /Virtuali directory in my APPDATA folder.

It's normal if you never changed a setting, in any case, we released an update now, and the default value is now 30MB.

I will try with the new version as soon as I get home

moxiejeff

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 06:59:43 pm »

Umberto, I do not have this updated value, even after using the offline installer yesterday. Are we (a) supposed to delete everything in %APPDATA%\virtuali before running the offline installer again? Or just run it? Because it "seems" my versions are just not updating.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 07:16:39 pm »
Umberto, I do not have this updated value, even after using the offline installer yesterday.

That's because we changed the default value used in case it was never customized. Standard installation practice is always not removing/overriding any user preferences which means:

- if you have NO airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes line in the Couatl_MSFS.ini file, it will use 30MB

- if you DO have the airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes line, it will respect what you put there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 07:22:17 pm by virtuali »

moxiejeff

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 07:20:38 pm »
Got it. Thank you.

immadario

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2022, 12:10:24 am »
Hi,

I've tried loading at LIRN with the updated gsx, but gsx read the dafult scenery again. However, I recompiled the afcad from the 3rd party scenery with Airport Design Editor and put it in a new community package and now gsx is reading my new afcad, so the problem is fixed.

P.S: Should I post my hotfix in the gsx airport profile sharing area?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 12:26:30 am »

You cannot post a recompiled AFCAD without the author's permissions that, since this is a site privately own by our company, should be given to us but the copyright holders.

However, you must have seen some kind of error with the scenery as it was, perhaps it was just larger than the amount GSX normally consider common for an airport files ? We raised the default threshold from 4MB to 30MB, so perhaps that was what fixed it.

immadario

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 01:30:00 am »

You cannot post a recompiled AFCAD without the author's permissions that, since this is a site privately own by our company, should be given to us but the copyright holders.

ok

However, you must have seen some kind of error with the scenery as it was, perhaps it was just larger than the amount GSX normally consider common for an airport files ? We raised the default threshold from 4MB to 30MB, so perhaps that was what fixed it.

I think it was just a faulty AFCAD by the scenery developer because if I remove my hotfix, gsx (latest version) doesn't recognise the 3rd party scenery. And the original AFCAD file is 430kb, so...

Thank you for your help!

paradiseflight

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 04:39:48 am »
GSX is not reading the addon Roanoke (KROA) airport I have installed UNLESS I change useAirportCache to 0 in the Couatl_MSFS.ini file. When I change it back to 1 and restart, it loads the default BGL file again.

When I have useAirportCache=0, it will load the addon airport, but when I open Customize Airport positions, it doesn't show any BGL file. It's blank. Very strange.

If I then make a small change and save it to create a profile, it doesn't have an entry for afcad_path:
[general]

[gate 2]
nopassengerstairs = 0
nopassengerbus = 0

At first I thought it was due to large size of BGL files, so I added airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes = 3000000000 to Couatl_MSFS.ini file, but that didn't help until I changed the cache to 0. I've reloaded the whole sim many times and it's only the useAirportCache entry that finally helps.

Is it ok to run with useAirportCache=0? What does this do?

Here's the addon folder. I don't know which BGL file has the airport in it:
 Directory of D:\Games\MSFS\Packages\Community\skylinesim-kroa-roanoke\scenery\mycompany

08/02/2022  07:19 AM    <DIR>          .
08/02/2022  07:19 AM    <DIR>          ..
08/02/2022  07:19 AM     2,351,248,970 modelLib.BGL
08/02/2022  07:19 AM           291,660 roanoke_skyline.bgl
08/02/2022  07:19 AM    <DIR>          texture
               2 File(s)  2,351,540,630 bytes
               3 Dir(s)  405,614,895,104 bytes free

Log files and screenshot attached.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 10:52:09 am »
GSX is not reading the addon Roanoke (KROA) airport I have installed UNLESS I change useAirportCache to 0 in the Couatl_MSFS.ini file. When I change it back to 1 and restart, it loads the default BGL file again.

Some 3rd party airports are missing some of the delete flags, so they are seen by GSX to be only enhancement files, not self-contained, to be used together with the default data. This is something GSX doesn't support, since it only loads one .BGL at the time.

However, when enabling the SU10 Navdata option ( that's what useAirportCache = 0 does ), data is coming from the simulator through Simconnect, so GSX won't even know which .BGL the airport data is coming from, and won't load any .BGL

Going forward, this will be the default and preferred way to use GSX, we are only missing some data about jetways that are not available in the Navdata SDK, but in general the Navdata method is preferred, because it goes away with all the complications and side effect of having to search .BGL files and maintain an airport cache, and then opening actual .BGL files.

paradiseflight

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 02:33:10 am »
Going forward, this will be the default and preferred way to use GSX, we are only missing some data about jetways that are not available in the Navdata SDK, but in general the Navdata method is preferred, because it goes away with all the complications and side effect of having to search .BGL files and maintain an airport cache, and then opening actual .BGL files.

Ok this is great to hear! Is the Navdata option a checkbox somewhere in settings? I haven't noticed it.