Author Topic: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st 2024  (Read 145885 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last update Oct. 21st
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2022, 10:45:57 am »
As you can see from the attached picture, the MSFS icon is hidden in the FSDT Universal Installer I downloaded. At the bottom writen MSFS Not Installed.

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,26875.0.html

aeysim

« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2022, 02:15:15 pm »
As you can see from the attached picture, the MSFS icon is hidden in the FSDT Universal Installer I downloaded. At the bottom writen MSFS Not Installed.

I tried that too but the result did not change.

CWH1977

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last update Oct. 25th
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2022, 02:40:23 pm »
I have tried to update multiple times, but GSX remains unchanged. My menu in MSFS closes each time I select an action. Wasn't the GSX menu remaining open after a selection apart of one of the updates?

Thanks

Dakota

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #228 on: October 26, 2022, 05:21:14 pm »
I have tried to update multiple times, but GSX remains unchanged. My menu in MSFS closes each time I select an action. Wasn't the GSX menu remaining open after a selection apart of one of the updates?

Nowhere in the update release notes we ever said the menu won't close after a choice.

You must have assumed this was the removal of the MENU TOOLBAR Auto-close function several updates ago, which removed the automatic closing of the Menu Toolbar icon in some situations, which was no longer required after adding an hotkey to open/close the menu, providing the Toolbar icon is left active.

GSX always closed the menu after a choice, and it has worked like this for the past 10 years. As explained in the Sticky thread about the future short-term Roadmap, we understand the ability to PIN the menu and leave it open might be useful in some cases ( Dual monitors or VR ), so it's a feature planned for a future update.

aeysim

« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2022, 07:18:54 pm »

The same problem was experienced in the installation of Airfoillabs Manager of AirfoilLabs in Xplane11.
However, Airfoillabs later fixed and updated the Airfoillabs Manager installation and fixed this problem.
I think you need to find a solution to this problem as soon as possible.

sidfadc

« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2022, 11:55:04 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but here goes.  So I've enabled the SU10 Nav API in the latest version, I've read the manual to help me understand.  Previously I had issues with coualt not starting (ok I can manually start it) but because I have the sim on a HDD it used to take quite a while from loading in at the gate before I could use GSX because the Cache had to load.  My understanding is the new API eradicates this issue..........however on my first test loading into LGIR I had to manually start coualt (ok usual) but it still took a while before GSX came alive, meaning when I hit the GSX icon in MSFS I just saw "loading please wait".......I still had to wait a good few minutes before I could use the GSX services?  I also noticed in the sys tray, it didn't change to "airport cache loaded successfully" which I assume is because the new API doesn't need to rebuild cache because it's not using the airport BGL. 

Either way my main question is this, using the API is the expected behaviour that GSX ground services are available immediately or not (assuming coualt is running)?

To take this one step further, I've just loaded in at EGCC which has a custom ini file (only one) and I can see all the safedocks at the gates (which suggests GSX has loaded?) but when I click the GSX menu I don't have the services available, it says "Loading GSX menu please wait" with the spinning circle........and coualt is running?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 12:04:56 am by sidfadc »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2022, 09:32:29 am »
I think you need to find a solution to this problem as soon as possible

The solution has already been indicated and found here:

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2022, 09:35:08 am »
Not sure if this is the right thread for this question but here goes

No, of course it's not. It's about the Offline installer and its release notes, your problem doesn't have anything to do with it.

using the API is the expected behaviour that GSX ground services are available immediately or not (assuming coualt is running)?

Yes, GSX will be available in a few seconds, the airport cache is not used anymore with the Navdata API. But please, open a new thread, with a proper subject about it: how do you expect other users to find it in the future, buried in this one about the offline installer ?

arrigo

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update Nov. 15th
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2022, 01:14:07 pm »
Hi, where one can find the following option, please?

- GSX (all versions) NEW: Added the option to not Board Crew/Pilots.

WebMaximus

« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2022, 01:32:24 pm »
This update thing with GSX seems like a mess to me.

What I've been doing which seems to be the most reliable option is to always use the offline installer and re-run it whenever it's been updated.
Richard Åsberg

Mr.Rick

« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2022, 01:19:08 am »

When doing a Boarding/Deboarding operation it askes if you want to board crew/pilots/Neither/Both

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2022, 04:45:14 pm »
This update thing with GSX seems like a mess to me.

What I've been doing which seems to be the most reliable option is to always use the offline installer and re-run it whenever it's been updated.

The updater works perfectly fine, and the offline installer should only be used when you notice that files OTHER than the ones listed as being "normal to be updated" ( as per the IMPORTANT note of the Top post of this thread ) are being redownloaded, for example if you run the Updater twice in a row, and you notice this, you know you need the Offline installer.

But if such files are not redownloaded if you run the updater twice, then you DO NOT need the Offline installer. Not that it will make any difference if you use it anyway, it won't cause problems for sure, since if nothing is being downloaded (again, other than the files which are supposed to), you are installing with the Offline installer over exactly the same files which you already got correct from the updater.

arrigo

« Reply #237 on: November 22, 2022, 12:07:56 am »

When doing a Boarding/Deboarding operation it askes if you want to board crew/pilots/Neither/Both

This possibility had been there before. I was hoping for an option to disable Crew/Pilots boarding permanently.

WebMaximus

« Reply #238 on: November 22, 2022, 12:14:52 am »
The updater works perfectly fine, and the offline installer should only be used when you notice that files OTHER than the ones listed as being "normal to be updated" ( as per the IMPORTANT note of the Top post of this thread ) are being redownloaded, for example if you run the Updater twice in a row, and you notice this, you know you need the Offline installer.

But if such files are not redownloaded if you run the updater twice, then you DO NOT need the Offline installer. Not that it will make any difference if you use it anyway, it won't cause problems for sure, since if nothing is being downloaded (again, other than the files which are supposed to), you are installing with the Offline installer over exactly the same files which you already got correct from the updater.

Maybe just me but I find it very hard trying to see what files if any are updated. Also to be honest, having an updater where the user is required to sit there and try to see what files are updated or not, and based on that rule out if the updater worked correctly or not really isn't very user-friendly IMO.

For this reason and to avoid having to worry about these kind of things, I find it so much easier to simply download the offline installer whenever it has been updated and use that one instead.

Great to hear though you're happy with your updater and how it works perfectly fine.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #239 on: November 22, 2022, 02:19:58 pm »
Maybe just me but I find it very hard trying to see what files if any are updated.

That's precisely why recent versions of the updater have a vertical scroll bar, so you can see more easily which files has been downloaded (if any), while the update is still going.

Also to be honest, having an updater where the user is required to sit there and try to see what files are updated or not, and based on that rule out if the updater worked correctly or not really isn't very user-friendly IMO.

That's not "required" of course! It's only in case you SUSPECT you might have a problem with downloading, so you would know you need the Offline installer. It's to give you CERTAINTY and TRANSPARENCY of the update process, and ways to overcome issues.

As explained so many times, we might just cheated our way out, and assume if it's a file has been downloaded, you have the latest version of it, save some version number somewhere, never bother to check it again until the next update.

This is how most of what you might call "user friendly" updater do, they might look easier to understand, but they are only giving you a false sense of security, because you have no way to know that a file has been downloaded is really the latest version, or even if a file got missing/corrupted after you run the updater.

Since outdated downloads can happen with a CDN caching ( without it, nobody would even be able to download anything, because no single server could possibly survive the load of so many concurrent users ), we provided with two things that other "user friendly" updaters don't have:

- a file by file check that is always made, to be sure every file you have is the one it's supposed to be and nothing is missing, with a progress showing what's really happening.

- an alternative offline installer.

For this reason and to avoid having to worry about these kind of things, I find it so much easier to simply download the offline installer whenever it has been updated and use that one instead.

If with "use that one instead", you mean you update with the Offline installer instead of the Live Updater, it's a mistake because, as also clearly explained in the Top post of this thread:

This Offline installer will only update the complete GSX code. It doesn't contain updates to object models or textures or new operators. Those are only available through the normal online Installer/Updater.

That's why the Offline installer should not be used "instead" of the Live Updater but, as the instructions clearly says:

ONLY after the Live Updater and ONLY after if you suspect you might have an issue with outdated files due to network caching, which should be less and less common, now that GSX have plenty of time to replicate entirely on the cloudflare network, and it will be very unlikely we'll have to push updates to ten of thousands of files again, like for a new release.

Under most circumstances, you only need to run the Live updater, and that's it.