Author Topic: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last Update March 21st 2024  (Read 145886 times)

airbumps

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last update Sept. 21st 2022
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2022, 12:44:36 pm »
Didn’t the most recent update, in conjunction with SU10 allow access to the new Navdata API? Or are there further updates to the navdata API coming? From what I remember you indicated that the SU10 Navdata API didn’t give you all the data you needed for jetways
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:14:45 pm by virtuali »

Puuhbear

« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2022, 02:14:30 pm »
So I'm very confused.

How do I know if I have the most up to date version?

I ran the "offline updater" yesterday. The changelogs claim: "Menu system changed; Auto-close function has been removed." But my menu is still closing automatically. So I assume it's either a bug or I'm not at the latest version... But how am I supposed to know? How am I supposed to know if my node has been updated and I'm no longer in need of the offline updater? How do I get the new object models or textures or operators if not via the FSTD updater or installer app? And wouldn't that reinstall older versions over newer ones?

I'm really confused on how to get the newest versions and how to keep it updated.

Greetings
Marc Dahmen

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2022, 02:18:03 pm »
How do I know if I have the most up to date version?

As clearly indicated in the first post of this thread:

You can recognize if YOUR node has, by simply noticing if the Live Update doesn't download anything if you run it after this offline installer. If this happens, it means your local Cloudflare node is now fully updated, so you don't need to use this anymore, just the Live Update.

NOTE: The Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files are supposed to be downloaded every time, this is normal. And unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries bought on the MS Marketplace will also be downloaded each time, this is also normal.

But my menu is still closing automatically. So I assume it's either a bug or I'm not at the latest version...

It's neither: you assumed the auto-close was related to the GSX services menu, but instead is related to the GSX TOOLBAR menu, which was the only thing that had an auto-close before. This has been already asked and answered here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27785.msg181948.html#msg181948

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2022, 02:31:04 pm »
Didn’t the most recent update, in conjunction with SU10 allow access to the new Navdata API?

Nowhere we ever said something like that. Before SU10, we couldn't obviously release anything, since it won't work on SU9 and, while we already started working with the new API during the Beta, we wanted to wait if data about Jetways might eventually arrive for the final release.

Sadly, it hasn't and there's no word if it will ever arrive but, as already confirmed in other threads, this won't stop us using it anyway, just with some workaround for Jetways we'd rather not use but, it's not as if we have much choice.

This was also discussed several times, for example here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27635.msg180973.html#msg180973

or here:
https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27446.msg181891.html#msg181891

In addition to that, we also made a Sticky post about upcoming updates here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27778.msg181917.html#msg181917

Hoping users will read it, so we won't have to continuously repeat, over and over, to identical questions about SU10 and Navdata API and Marketplace airports. Be sure when the update will come, it will advertises thoroughly.

Puuhbear

« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2022, 02:37:58 pm »

You can recognize if YOUR node has, by simply noticing if the Live Update doesn't download anything if you run it after this offline installer. If this happens, it means your local Cloudflare node is now fully updated, so you don't need to use this anymore, just the Live Update.

NOTE: The Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files are supposed to be downloaded every time, this is normal. And unencrypted versions of FSDT airport files for FSDT sceneries bought on the MS Marketplace will also be downloaded each time, this is also normal.

So I know I'm on the latest version if nothing is downloading even though something is allways downloading? That confuses me even more...

It's neither: you assumed the auto-close was related to the GSX services menu, but instead is related to the GSX TOOLBAR menu, which was the only thing that had an auto-close before. This has been already asked and answered here:

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,27785.msg181948.html#msg181948

Oh ok... I did get confused by a toolbar icon beeing reffered to as a menu.

Thanks for helping

Marc

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2022, 02:44:26 pm »
So I know I'm on the latest version if nothing is downloading even though something is allways downloading? That confuses me even more...

The explanation doesn't call things with "something": it gives a precise indication WHICH files are supposed to be always downloaded and which files are not. If you want to know if you have a problem with the local servers, you should notice if files OTHER than the ones indicated in the Note are being downloaded over and over.

Puuhbear

« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2022, 02:57:41 pm »
So I'm supposed to read and fully understand filestructures and filenames in a matter of seconds as it's running through the update process? I'm not even sure what I'm looking at when this runs through... and it closes right after it's done so I cannot even take some time to scroll through the data (doesnt even have a scrollbar...) all I see is "removing file "long path to something" and then it closes again...

Not a very good method of knowing if some part was downloaded and another was not...

From a User point of view this is a really complicated way of telling if I'm on the newset version or if I still have to run the offline updater.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:58:34 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2022, 03:04:57 pm »
all I see is "removing file "long path to something" and then it closes again...

I don't think you see only that, that sounds like the message which says it has removed one of the Jetway replacement file after downloading its ZIP file, and it has removed it because you Disable that airport, I think the message is still readable as such, even with only a few lines visible so yes, that is something related to the Jetway exclusions which, as the instructions says, are supposed to be always downlaoded.

Not a very good method of knowing if some part was downloaded and another was not...From a User point of view this is a really complicated way of telling if I'm on the newset version or if I still have to run the offline updater.

Fact is, always redownloading those files has proven to be way faster than checking each single file for updates, because there are many, and the *check* itself takes more time than the download, because they compress a lot in ZIP format so, what other solution you suggest ?

The only solution would be "hiding" you from what's happening, like disabling every information about something that is always supposed to be downloaded, doing everything without any feedback. That will reduce your confusion, but if something goes wrong, you'll never know.

I suspect most similar updaters use this strategy: they just skip in silence over the confusing parts, so users won't know, and won't be confused. We might be adopt this strategy as well, since it seems to be the preferred one.

Puuhbear

« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2022, 03:21:10 pm »
No, it's not the only one I see... but the one I see the most at the end. The others are gone so fast, I can't really read them. I'm not a native english speaker and I' not a programmer. I actually usually don't care what is being updated or needed to be downloaded by a programm in order to update. As long as it works. It might be a nice gesture to actually indicate what the downloadprocess is doing but as I don't understand any of it, to me it doesn't make a difference if it is shown to me or not. Even IF something goes wrong I couldn't tell anyways. maybe others can, but I certainly cannot. I'm a stupid user. I want less bugs and more features ;)

...what other solution you suggest ?

A version number might do it. Maby just an indication during the updateprocess something like "you have version xy - updating to versio xy+1" or in the GSX settings menu.

Pilotpete1

Re: OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - Last update Sept. 23rd 2022
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2022, 05:10:30 pm »
Is there an issue with pushback.  My pushback does not work with the Flybywire?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2022, 05:19:58 pm »
I actually usually don't care what is being updated or needed to be downloaded by a programm in order to update. As long as it works.

I guess that's the case. Most users are not probably interested what the program is really doing, so if we just removed lots of information, it will give the illusion of being "simpler".  You can't be worried about what you don't know.

A version number might do it. Maby just an indication during the updateprocess something like "you have version xy - updating to versio xy+1" or in the GSX settings menu.

Already discussed so many times. Yes, it will give the illusion everything's fine, even if it's really not. Which of course goes in the opposite direction of your "more features, less bugs", because troubleshooting bugs will be more difficult when you only have a version number, but that doesn't seem to matter to most. Nobody really seem to care if all his files are precisely the ones they are supposed to be, as long the mythical "version number" is shown.

As I've said, multiple times, we'll take these suggestions to make the program to appear to be more reliable, removing all information that *might* induce a suspect, to be replaced by some version number at the end. Nothing will really change, of course, but you will assume the program became immediately easier and more reliable...

Puuhbear

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2022, 11:13:28 pm »
No reason for sarcasm...

Also this is your product. Only you can make sure all necessary files are "precisely the ones they are supposed to be". As a user I do installations and updates, how am I supposed to know what files have to go where? It's your responsibility as a developer to program your update and installation processes to end up with the files I need in order for them to work, isn't it? After all it's a problem of your update servers that started all the problems to begin with.

And I'm not sure if you understand my concept of a version number... I don't want to see a "mythical number" somewhere, but I rely on propper programming, where a software version is done with every file precisely where it's supposed to be in the state it needs to be in. When that's done this version gets a number. So when a user has an issue, you as a developer have information on what is where, just by a user telling you wich version of your software he is talking about. That should actually make troubleshooting even easier.

If I as a user have to care about files being incorrectly delivered somewhere during the installation process somethings is wrong.  And as I can't influence the process of your installation program, why would I bother? When I buy a car nobody expects me to check if all the right parts of the engine are where they are supposed to be. You seem to think everyone understands your file structure and how a software works, but that's just not the case. You can't assume everyone is a car mechanic and knows wich motor parts go where when you sell a car. Customers just want to drive it not to build it!

That being said your troubleshooting efforts would be easier for you if you would deliver propper versions with numbers so you yourself can rely on your own knowledge. You know exactly what file is supposed to go where. When you hear wich version the user has installed you immediately know what files the user has and where they are, and can find out much better what the issue might be.

And when you get annoyed by too many users asking the same questions all over again or suggesting stuff many times, it might be a good idea to think about why that could be. Maybe it's because something is just not working the way it's supposed to on your end of the process. It's easy to blame the customer. But choosing to trick the customer by making stuff appear better than it is, as you suggested, is by far the worst decission in my opinion.

Puuhbear

« Reply #177 on: September 24, 2022, 12:33:11 am »
And I just came up with another idea of how to indicate if a software is up to date without having to implement a version number.

Simply indicate something like "Your GSX version is up to date. Downloading Airport Services and Jetways sceneries ZIP files now as a normal process of keeping them consistent." or "Your GSX version is getting updated now." in a prominent spot so the user can clearly see if he is up to date or not. No version number magic or "hiding" of information necessary. just giving everyone the information needed.

That way you can also let people know that if their update node is not up to date it will always say "Your GSX version is getting updated" and not asking people to check if "nothing" is downloaded (even though some files are downloaded every time)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:46:36 am by Puuhbear »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #178 on: September 24, 2022, 04:26:10 pm »
No reason for sarcasm...

I don't see any trace of "sarcasm" in any of my replies. You are assuming this because you still don't believe what I'm trying to say, which it's entirely serious facts, not a joke.

Also this is your product. Only you can make sure all necessary files are "precisely the ones they are supposed to be".

Not really, the files on our server ARE obviously "precisely the ones they are supposed to be", but when they are distributed online they CAN possibly suffer from delays in replication over the 270+ local Cloudflare nodes.

And it's PRECISELY because of this, our program CHECKED them and tries to re-download them if they failed the check. So, it's doing precisely the job is supposed to do: trying in every way to get you the correct files, instead blindly trusting whatever it comes from the internet.

As a user I do installations and updates, how am I supposed to know what files have to go where? It's your responsibility as a developer to program your update and installation processes to end up with the files I need in order for them to work, isn't it?

And that's precisely why in the Sticky thread is indicated which files you shouldn't worry about.

After all it's a problem of your update servers that started all the problems to begin with.

That is wrong, the only problems  are caused by the only servers we don't have any control on. And as explained countless of times, if we didn't use the Cloudflare distribution system, nobody would be able to download anything, because "our" server would never able to handle such kind of load, something we saw *multiple* times on other popular releases, where nobody was able to download anything, something that never happened here.

And precisely because the server we can't control *might* be outdated, that our updater works that way, otherwise (again) you wouldn't even suspect of a problem.

And I'm not sure if you understand my concept of a version number... I don't want to see a "mythical number" somewhere, but I rely on propper programming, where a software version is done with every file precisely where it's supposed to be in the state it needs to be in. When that's done this version gets a number. So when a user has an issue, you as a developer have information on what is where, just by a user telling you wich version of your software he is talking about. That should actually make troubleshooting even easier.

Why are you repeating something that has been discussed so many times, over and over ? There are two ways to show a "version number" and is:

1) By faking it, assuming that if you run an update, you "must" have the latest version, because on connection, a file or two might be used as samples, and saving it somewhere, with the installer reading that information and telling you have the latest version.

2) By doing it properly, and the real way to do it properly is with a really "fault tolerant" install that would take a large impact on your system, your connection and our bandwidth because, it should work this way:

- Before doing any update, there should be a first pass checking all files, making a list of the outdated ones and doing a complete backup of all files that WILL be downloaded. This will take extra time and some disk space that, in the event all files are updated ( maybe not likely, but possible ), double the disk space of the program normally takes.

- All files scheduled to be updated should be downloaded and, after they are all downloaded, they should be checked again. If even a SINGLE file failed the check, ALL files from the backup should be restored, since we cannot risk having a mix-up of old and new files so, you'll be back to the previous version. Only if ALL files passed the check, we could reliably show a "version number", because we checked the new version is really complete and coherent.

Option #2 is what is called a "fault tolerant" update, which nobody really use, because not only is way slower and put lots of strain on servers, but it can ALSO be very frustrating to users, because you'll be rolled back to version you started with, possibly because a single file wasn't updated on your local node.

That's why most updaters prefer Option #1, which is way lighter on servers, it shows a version number, it makes users feel safe, but it's not really reliable.

We are using a 3rd approach, which is something in between: we DO check all files, and we just try to re-download only the failed one on the next start, instead of trashing everything and redo everything from start if a single outdated file.

And this, of course, is the best approach because, it's not as if files get outdated "forever", eventually all nodes will get all files so, any issue will self-correct automatically.

tango3000

« Reply #179 on: September 24, 2022, 04:51:20 pm »
Hello,

I understand the differents point of views.
I have various experience since many years with lot of products.

Maybe we should do a difference between
 - a PATCH, partial update (bug correction etc...)
 - a full complete version

And in the mean time, i don't know if possible separate
 - download of core programs
- download of data or part of program stabilized

P3D use separate process downloads for example sceneries and core programs, Xplane check all filles before updating. And yes each time there is a patch version number or a version number so we know if the update/patch or the full version is completed and well installed. Otherwise we are blind and we try many updates with probably adding bad and goog files producing new differents problems depending en each install of each people and you can't reproduce it ?  :)