Author Topic: Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate  (Read 20081 times)

disco79stu

Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate
« on: September 07, 2021, 01:32:57 pm »
I have a huge problem with today's update (2.9.4):
After running LiveUpdate, GSX works as expected, everything looks ok, Logo are there.

But when I run P3D (v5.2) a second time OR I reset my position through the GSX menu, GSX becomes unresponsive (menu won't show).
Restarting Couatl through the Add-Ons menu tab does not solve the problem, restarting the Sim does not work.
Menu entries are still there, but GSX just won't respond.

It's only when I run LiveUpdate again, GSX will work again, but only for one time.

Please advise.
Thanks,
Stu

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem with GSX 2.9.4 | Only works once after LiveUpdate
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 01:38:04 pm »
But when I run P3D (v5.2) a second time OR I reset my position through the GSX menu, GSX becomes unresponsive (menu won't show).

I can't reproduce the problem. Tried several restarts, works every time. Tried both by exiting and restarting the sim, and using the "Restart Couatl" as well.

Restarting Couatl through the Add-Ons menu tab does not solve the problem, restarting the Sim does not work.  Menu entries are still there, but GSX just won't respond.

Are you sure you have the latest 5.2 hotfix, and you installed using the FULL installer ( not just the Client ). This seems the very well known problem of the Simconnect menu being stuck freezing the sim. If you update just using the Client, the menu system might not be updated so, you might still running using the bugged Html menu.

And if you haven't installed the hotfix, it's sure the menu will freeze the sim.

It's only when I run LiveUpdate again, GSX will work again, but only for one time.

That might indicate you are running the sim in a wrong Compatibility mode. It's possible Windows has set a wrong compatibility setting in the registry for you, because the previous session crashed. The Live Update fixes that, by resetting all compatibility flags to default, that explains why it seem fixed that way.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:39:44 pm by virtuali »

raam123

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 01:49:47 pm »
Same here, after updating GSX crashing... waitting for some more info...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 01:54:06 pm »

That doesn't seem to be the "same" problem at all. The OP reported he couldn't start the sim a 2nd time without having the SIM freezing, which was eventually fixed by running the FSDT Live Updater, indicating a problem with the sim itself ( not updated correctly or using the wrong compatibility settings )

You are reporting something that looks very different, a "GSX crash", with no further details like an error message or something like that so, please clarify.

disco79stu

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 01:54:34 pm »

Are you sure you have the latest 5.2 hotfix, and you installed using the FULL installer ( not just the Client ).
That might indicate you are running the sim in a wrong Compatibility mode.

I'm running the latest P3D version, no compatibility modes active, sim did not crash.
Everything worked perfectly the previous months, I have never had problems with GXS until today's update.
But I noticed after closing the sim, the process "couatl64_P3D.exe" keeps running. Could that be a hint?

disco79stu

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 01:57:25 pm »

The OP reported he couldn't start the sim a 2nd time without having the SIM freezing, which was eventually fixed by running the FSDT Live Updater.

No. The Sim works fine. It did not crash.

1. I ran liveUpdate (new version installed)
2. I opened P3D. GSX works fine (called for catering etc.)
3. I "reset position" withing the GSX menu
4. GSX won't respond anymore.

After I close P3D (normally, no crash) and open P3D again, GSX STILL won't respond.
Only when I run LiveUpdate again, GSX starts working again (but the whole above problem starts again).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:59:23 pm by disco79stu »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 02:01:08 pm »
I'm running the latest P3D version, no compatibility modes active, sim did not crash.

The wrong compatibility settings which are set by Windows are NOT visible, unless you edit the registry.

Everything worked perfectly the previous months, I have never had problems with GXS until today's update. But I noticed after closing the sim, the process "couatl64_P3D.exe" keeps running. Could that be a hint?  

Couatl64_P3D.exe closes normally here and, nothing in the latest update could possibly change anything related to that. If the simulator itself crashes for other reasons, it's possible it might have Couatl not closing automatically, because if the Simconnect communication with the sim is interrupted abruptly, that's likely to happen.

First, try to wait a bit if the Couatl64_P3D.exe closes itself automatically, since it DOES have a safety mechanism that should kick in when the sim crashes for other reason and should be able to close itself, perhaps taking a bit longer.

If it really doesn't close, just terminate it with the Task Manager and see if it works on the next restart. That would be another explanation why it was "fixed" by the Live Updater, because another thing the updater does, is to be sure Couatl it's not running when you start the update.

disco79stu

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 02:03:53 pm »
Here's a video of the issue:

disco79stu

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 02:09:28 pm »
If it really doesn't close, just terminate it with the Task Manager and see if it works on the next restart.

Just tried, this doesn't work either.
When I terminate the process and run P3D again, GSX ist still unresponsive (no pop up menu etc.).
The process "couatl64_P3D.exe" is starting with P3D though.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 02:18:11 pm »

Have you disabled the messages in the top green bar ?

When you reset the position, you should have seen the message "Airport cache loaded successfully", which indicates GSX is ready but now, with the messages disabled, I can't tell if it failed to restart of you just disabled the messages.

raam123

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 02:18:57 pm »

Let me be more detaelied:
After updating , sim loading , GSX menu not shown... when pressing restart couatl , GSX crashing... (no more dispaly at the menu at all)

disco79stu

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »
should be able to close itself, perhaps taking a bit longer.

Waited 10min, the process keeps running.
RE-booting the PC also doesn't help, GSX stays unresponsive.

Right now the only way to get it to work again for one session is by running LiveUpdate.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 02:20:43 pm »
After updating , sim loading , GSX menu not shown... when pressing restart couatl , GSX crashing... (no more dispaly at the menu at all)

So yes, your problem is completely different than the OP because, it always had the GSX menu visible. The usual suggestions:

- Be absolutely sure the antivirus is configured to exclude the WHOLE Addon Manager folder.

- Run the FSDT Live Update again.

disco79stu

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 02:21:38 pm »

When you reset the position, you should have seen the message "Airport cache loaded successfully", which indicates GSX is ready but now, with the messages disabled, I can't tell if it failed to restart of you just disabled the messages.

I have that enabled, yes. I see this message when I open the Sim after LiveUpdate. I've never seen that oon position reset before though, only when "restarting and rebuilding airport cache".

Almogatar

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 02:24:16 pm »

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem, GSX menu not shown when opening the sim, an attempt to restart couatl and rebuild airport cache causing the couatl and gsx entries in the add-on menu to disappear, no messages in the green bar related to the airport cache reset or gsx at all (the green bar is activated, other messages like when loading PMDG aircrafts are working).

I've tried to run the FSDT live updater, no luck with that.