Author Topic: Logos in GSX Level 2 **SOLVED**  (Read 3731 times)

dlh716

Logos in GSX Level 2 **SOLVED**
« on: September 05, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »
Hi there,
I asked you a few months ago regarding the support of airline and operator logos on GSX vehicles.
You replied that this function is currently not available due to DirectX 12 and that you're waiting for P3D v5.2 to make this function available.
So, I allow myself, after several months and after the release of P3D v5.2, to ask you again about the availability of these features.
Thank you so much in advance for your response.
Kind regards,
Yann
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:45:51 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Logos in GSX Level 2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 09:10:04 am »
We are in the final stages of testing them.

Note that, we'll not have the same features as P3D V4, because they require DirectX 11 and libraries which are no longer available in DirectX 12 so, we won't a true Render to Texture. Which means:

- Logos for ground handling, jetways and catering operators will be back, but you won't be able to put your own logos just as easily as it was with P3D V4. Instead, you'll be able to choose only from the ones in the stock list, which is about 200 operators.

- gate numbers on jetways won't work.

- other RTT features, like dynamic texts, won't work as well.

Basically, logos will work similar to FSX and P3D V3, using standard multi-liveries.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:15:14 am by virtuali »

dlh716

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 09:26:42 am »
Thank you very much for your reply.
Okay I see. I’m looking forward to try it!

wdylm

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 01:57:43 pm »
Thanks for reply, so it means RTT in DX12 still failed(at least temporarily)?And is it still flexible for assigning different logos for different airports/airlines by using new method? e.g. I assign a catering vehicle logo in a airport for an airline, and this configuration will be stored for next time, as RTT performance before?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 05:57:35 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 06:48:29 pm »
Thanks for reply, so it means RTT in DX12 still failed(at least temporarily)

Considering all the pain and reliability problems LM had switching to DX12, in addition to the fact DX12 lacks native support for DirectWrite required by Fonts ( unless you mix-up DX11 + DX12, for an even higher VRAM usage ) and we used an open source library to do all Font rendering which won't be ported to DX12, we explained a while ago to have dropped any plans to try porting the RTT features to DX12.

We had some hopes moving to HTML5 instead but, it seemed very unstable and, even LM themselves, in 5.1 HF1 switched BACK from Html5 to Scaleform for their own menus system so, if not even LM trusts their HTML implementation to be reliable enough ( the infamous Simconnect menu locks up that were fixed by switching back to Scaleform ), it would have been too risky for us using it anyway.

That left us with the only possible choice, which has always been our "Plan B": using the regular multi-liveries system like FSX, which we are sure it works.

And is it still flexible for assigning different logos for different airports/airlines by using new method? e.g. I assign a catering vehicle logo in a airport for an airline, and this configuration will be stored for next time, as RTT performance before?

You can still assign an operator logo for handling, catering and jetways for each parking, simply by selecting one from the list. So, it's definitely easy but, you can only choose from the list of about 200 stock operators.

However, it's not as flexible as it is in P3D V4 that, thanks to RTT, you can create a new operator from scratch and pick-up your own PNG image for the logo.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 11:43:36 am »
The Multi-liveries update for P3D V5 has been released today.

Fragtality

Re: Logos in GSX Level 2 **SOLVED**
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 08:59:28 pm »
Hello Umberto,

I've stumbled other this thread because GSX/Couatl crashed when I selected a custom jetway logo. Your answers explains why ;)
But: why isn't the Button disabled when the custom logos dont work and even crash the program?

While I worked my way through the folder structures, I fully understand why it way more complex to add a custom logo (every logo-jetway-combination has to be defined) now.
But: wouldn't it be possible to predefine like 5,10,15,... "CustomX" Liveries with dummy-textures? The user then could then "just" place the Custom Logo / DDS File in one of this Folders and could use a custom logo. I've just tested this and it works fine! (Besides the fact that I have to replace a texture and that this modification is replaced by live update)

wdylm

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 07:16:51 am »
The Multi-liveries update for P3D V5 has been released today.
Hi Umberto, thanks for works, I upgraded it and saw liveries in P3DV5, but still have some questions.
1. Now I can only assign logo in GSX airport customizaton menu, can I use previous method by editing rules_catering.cfg like RTT before so that I can batch configure airports.
2. What is the logo files directory? I want to use my customized logo to replace them

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 11:16:59 am »
But: why isn't the Button disabled when the custom logos dont work and even crash the program?

It should be disabled. In fact, it is correctly disabled in the handling/catering page, but it's not in the jetway logo page. We should fix this.

But: wouldn't it be possible to predefine like 5,10,15,... "CustomX" Liveries with dummy-textures?

The main problem is that lots of users and websites share profiles, so everybody's custom texture would be different.

Fragtality

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 07:09:09 pm »
It should be disabled. In fact, it is correctly disabled in the handling/catering page, but it's not in the jetway logo page. We should fix this.
Great, already fixed, thanks! :D

The main problem is that lots of users and websites share profiles, so everybody's custom texture would be different.
I don't understand how that quote answers my question.

The predefined-Custom-Liveries where meant as a compromise. This "shared profiles" you refer to do in either way not work like it was pre-DX12. The Custom Textures they have just won't work.
With my proposal they wouldn't work straight away too, thats right. And yes: its not great for Sharing, when for e.g. two profiles use the same predefined index/number. BUT: "Just" placing a DDS and use the Editor like normal is imho way better than not having any custom textures anymore or to do some heavy modding of GSX' base files (or overwriting GSX' predefined logos - which is the route I currently follow).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 08:13:52 pm »

Ok, suppose we add 10 custom operator that come with blank textures you can replace, and we name them something like CUSTOM1, 2, 3, etc.

If edit the texture for CUSTOM1, when you use it in a profile, it will be saved with something like jetway_logo = CUSTOM1. Now, if you GIVE your .INI file to anybody that has also changed his own CUSTOM1 operator, but with a different texture, he'll see the airport you customized with HIS own texture and, if you share the texture too, you'll overwrite his own.

Fragtality

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 08:26:46 pm »

Ok, suppose we add 10 custom operator that come with blank textures you can replace, and we name them something like CUSTOM1, 2, 3, etc.

If edit the texture for CUSTOM1, when you use it in a profile, it will be saved with something like jetway_logo = CUSTOM1. Now, if you GIVE your .INI file to anybody that has also changed his own CUSTOM1 operator, but with a different texture, he'll see the airport you customized with HIS own texture and, if you share the texture too, you'll overwrite his own.

That would be absolutely great :)
Yeah but it would not be necessary to overwrite something - if you get a profile (with a texture) with Custom1 and you have already used Custom1, you could easily put the new texture in Custom2 and quickly edit the imported/downloaded .INI to use Custom2 (matter of seconds with GSX Editor Multi-Select or Search-Replace in a Texteditor).

But the Live Updater would need an exclusion added, I suppose (to not overwrite the CustomX blank texture has changed)  ;D