Author Topic: No logo/no airline/no operator in GSX Level 2  (Read 4279 times)

dlh716

No logo/no airline/no operator in GSX Level 2
« on: December 22, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »
Hi there,
I bought GSX and GSX Level 2 on Prepar3D v5.1 but when I am parked somewhere, once in two at an airport (I am talking about big airports such as Paris CDG) I can't choose which operator I want; normally in Paris, I could select between Air France and AĆ©roport de Paris: but most of the time I can't do this selection.

Also, I never have any logo or airline on the GSX vehicles... whether on catering vehicles, containers, pushbacks, luggage loading vehicles, fuel trucks, stairs...
Actually, I think that I don't have these files inside my GSX.
Look what I have inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\Simobjects\Misc : https://postimg.cc/xcnwSNGK
I don't have FSDT_Baggage_Loader, FSDT_Catering, FSDT_FuelTruck, FSDT_Pushback, FSDT_Staircase, or anything else like this.

All my vehicles are blank, regardless of the airport :
https://postimg.cc/gXXb79Wr
https://postimg.cc/VJfQ808x
https://postimg.cc/9DFSS3PV

When I go inside the options of GSX to edit one particular gate position, it shows me the list of all the operators but nothing append in the sim, always white and blank: https://postimg.cc/gLpdLMCJ

I tried to create my custom operator always in the window of GSX to edit one particular gate position but when I a picture of a logo and I select the color, I can choose it in the list,  the color is set, but always no logo on the vehicles...
https://postimg.cc/gXVbpVxP
https://postimg.cc/23YVZTFh

Do you have any ideas where this might come from?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Yann

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: No logo/no airline/no operator in GSX Level 2
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 04:05:08 am »
Render to texture is not currently functional in P3D V5, which is why you don't have any logos on the vehicles or the jetways.
Captain Kevin

dlh716

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 01:04:31 pm »
Render to texture is not currently functional in P3D V5, which is why you don't have any logos on the vehicles or the jetways.

Thanks for your answer!
Okay, will it be fixed in a future update?

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 01:16:31 am »
Pretty sure they're going to fix it, but there's no ETA for it. The issue is P3D V4 uses DX11 whereas P3D V5 uses DX12, and DX12 doesn't appear to be the most stable.
Captain Kevin

dlh716

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 02:43:10 pm »
Pretty sure they're going to fix it, but there's no ETA for it. The issue is P3D V4 uses DX11 whereas P3D V5 uses DX12, and DX12 doesn't appear to be the most stable.

Roger, thanks!

dlh716

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 10:43:13 pm »
Hey,
I allow myself to relaunch you to know if there is any news since last December regarding the logos of the operators on the vehicles?
Thanks in advance for your reply,
Yann

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:52:38 am »
They're focusing on getting GSX functional in MSFS, so I don't think anything has changed.
Captain Kevin

dlh716

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 09:33:12 am »
They're focusing on getting GSX functional in MSFS, so I don't think anything has changed.

It's a pity that they do not wait to finish correctly the version available on Prepar3D v5 instead of wanting to focus on MFS. Because a few months late is forgivable but when you pay for such an addon that has you sold with some options, it's a bit of a shame to tell you that this one is not available and that it's not the developer's priority... but thanks for your reply!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 09:51:48 am »
It's a pity that they do not wait to finish correctly the version available on Prepar3D v5 instead of wanting to focus on MFS. Because a few months late is forgivable but when you pay for such an addon that has you sold with some options, it's a bit of a shame to tell you that this one is not available and that it's not the developer's priority...

It's true we are working on GSX for MSFS first but, that doesn't mean the liveries for P3D V5 are being delayed because of that, nowhere we said this.

As already discussed so many times about this issue, everything related to liveries, custom liveries, jetway numbers and everything related to font rendering in GSX was made ( in P3DV4 ) using DirectX 11, and this is clearly indicated in the product description so, we assume P3D V5 users would know that DirectX 11 is not supported in P3D V5.

The problem is, DirectX 12 is very complex, very dangerous to use, leaving in the hands of the developer the responsibility to manage memory resources, and we all seen how easy is for P3D V5 to crash when VRAM is close to exhaustion and, the last thing we wanted, was to add another potential source of instability.

In ADDITION to that, DirectX 12 is even lacking features we relied on. The complete DirectWrite API, which renders True Type fonts in DirectX 11 has been removed, and Microsoft official suggestion would be to use an hybrid DX11/DX12 rendering system which, of course, takes even more VRAM, other than being increasingly complex. LM planned to use this to allow Windows 7 compatibility for P3D V5, but they dropped it.

So, which decided to stay away from DirectX 12 and, instead, move to a completely different system that use Html5 rendering for Render to Texture that has been introduced with 5.1. However, since it's a new feature, is still lacking features, for example the ability to use non-square textures, and each and every logo texture in GSX IS non-square. We have been asking LM to add this feature, and it's likely coming for the next update.

Assuming this feature will come with 5.2, and assuming it works correctly, then we might be able to START changing all GSX code that relied on DirectX 11 to use Html5 instead, which will take a while.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:16:29 am by virtuali »

dlh716

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:00:20 am »
Assuming this feature will come with 5.2, and assuming it works correctly, then we might be able to START changing all GSX code that relied on DirectX 11 to use Html5 instead, which will take a while.

I prefer to hear that. Thank you  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:15:36 am by virtuali »

Iadbound

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 04:54:47 pm »
Add me to the list of users waiting for the P3D v.5.1 logo/texture update.  I read the post explaining the difficulties, but P3D v5 has been out for over a year.  In addition, GSX is THE ground handling software for P3D, so I suspect the team was well aware of the P3D changes coming in v5 before it launched.  In other words, depending on 5.2 to solve a problem that some other developers have already solved sounds a bit weak.  Anyway, sorry for the rant, but any updated information is appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 10:07:51 pm »
I read the post explaining the difficulties, but P3D v5 has been out for over a year.

I don't see how this would have made any difference, the way DirectX 12 works ( a lack of features we *used* in DX 11 ) wouldn't change just because we had more "time" to look at it.

In other words, depending on 5.2 to solve a problem that some other developers have already solved sounds a bit weak.  Anyway, sorry for the rant, but any updated information is appreciated.

I don't think is there another product that has hundreds of liveries, which were ALSO easily customizable by users, which were ALSO easily added without adding hundreds of new objects each time you added a new livery, and I don't think there's another product that had dynamic text, such as variable jetway numbers, fuel counters, information panels and this was ALL made thanks to DirectX 11. So no, no other developer ever did something remotely similar or "solved" anything.

If you read my explanation carefully, you would have know DirectX 12 doesn't even any font rendering feature, because Microsoft removed DirectWrite from it, which was exactly what we used to do any kind of text. Or, more precisely, Microsoft suggests to mix DirectX 11 + 12, which is hard on VRAM, and even more unreliable than DirectX 12 alone could ever be.

Do you honestly think P3D V5 is MORE or LESS stable because of DirectX 12 ? Do you want another add-on taking extra VRAM and mess with DXGI, as if it wasn't already too unstable on its own ?

any updated information is appreciated.

I don't know what you mean with "updated" information. My last post here in this thread you are replying right now dated April 18th. How many updates you need, wasn't that post clear enough ?

And, before someone would expect we'd have custom liveries GSX as soon as P3D 5.2 comes out, I'll repeat again what I already wrote in my last post:

- It's not CERTAIN 5.2 will add the most crucial feature we need, which is support for non-square textures, which is currently missing from 5.1. We have been promised it should make it in 5.2, but we don't know that for sure.

- Even if 5.2 came out tomorrow with support with non-square textures in HTML, it would only mean we could START working at it. There's no way to say how much time will take to REDO all the work we did in DirectX 11 using HTML5, because that change has so many effects on the scenery editor, the existing GSX profiles, and we'll also have to keep some compatibility with P3D 4.4 too, because HTML is not there, so we would have to handle both cases, which are fairly different.

- It's still possible we might find issues even in the final 5.2 version we might not expect right now that might be showstoppers, since did only some quick tests if the basic works, but nothing serious like, for example, how Html rendering would work with hundreds of jetways with logos or many ground vehicles at the same time. Nobody knows, maybe we found is too hard on fps that might not be usable.

The Plan B, if that happens, would be going back to FSX-style multi-liveries, that is a different Simobject for each variation. It will be less flexible to use, it won't have any text rendering ( so no jetway numbers or active text ) and will slow down the sim startup, like an AI traffic pack with thousands of models. But at least you'll get multiple liveries in P3D V5.

And, this will be my LAST post about P3D V5 GSX liveries. From now on, everybody asking for it will be directed here, so the topic is closed.