Author Topic: Another unsuccessful installation of FSDreamTeam GSX  (Read 2299 times)

Xldczech

Another unsuccessful installation of FSDreamTeam GSX
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:02:24 am »
I am trying to install Setup - FSDreamTeam GSX Level 2 for P3Dv4.5 HF3 (gsx_p3d4_setup.exe) on my Windows 10 system with 32GB of RAM on an internal 4TB SSD with 3TB of remaining drive space.

I am installing the program with Administrator permissions.

All antivirus programs are disabled, and unnecessary background programs are stopped via task manager.

I have a successful and completed download indication before installing to the default directories.

When extracting and installing the files, the installation goes well until approximately 85% progress then an exception is thrown with file Simobjects\PBR\FSDT_Staircase_TLD_ABS-580\texture.cyan\FSDT_Staircase_TLD_ABS-580_ALBEDO.dds.

Thereafter, I receive countless error messages.

I have downloaded the files three times, now, and each time I reach a stopping point at installation Simobjects\PBR\FSDT_Staircase_TLD_ABS-580 where I can choose to try again, skip the file, or cancel the installation.

I do not have the time or patience to monitor repeated, failed installations because of lousy download and extraction software design or flawed file transfers.

Repeated downloads are not the solution. As I have indicated, 1 - Installation is performed with administrator permissions 2 - ALL antivirus programs are disabled, and unnecessary background programs are stopped via task manager and 3 - I have an abundance of available hard drive space for installation.

After file extraction, the downloaded files appear either corrupted or malformed in a bin file and your downloading and extraction software design contains no persistence for resuming the installation.

Why can't you provide a (modular) system where a single bin file can be downloaded, as a supplement, for your customers to download instead of repeatedly downloading 2GB worth of files?

That way your customers could overwrite a suspected, corrupted bin file with a fresh replacement.

I think your FSDreamTeam GSX software is brilliant and you should be commended for producing a high-quality product.

But your software download, delivery and extraction procedures are nothing but a joke; in that area you should consider changing your program name to FSNightmareTeam GSX.

Please fix your broken download and extraction software design and address your flawed installation process.

At the least, program your installation process with some persistence for continuing the installation and then allow your update program to discover any anomalies and repair them.

For example, Statement: On Error - Resume Next.

Your current file package download, delivery, and installation scenario - in a downloaded, all-or-nothing executable - is outdated and repeated download requests are a total waste of my monthly, precious bandwidth allotment.

-end-

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:36:57 pm by Xldczech »

Sparkrite

Re: Another unsuccessful installation of FSDreamTeam GSX
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 06:27:14 pm »
Why can't you provide a (modular) system where a single bin file can be downloaded, as a supplement, for your customers to download instead of repeatedly downloading 2GB worth of files?

Your current file package download, delivery, and installation scenario - in a downloaded, all-or-nothing executable - is outdated and repeated download requests are a total waste of my monthly, precious bandwidth allotment.

Totally agree, I know it's somewhat different but still a big waste of bandwidth and time.
Have a read of my thread.  :-
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24484.0.html
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:30:25 pm by Sparkrite »

LukeK

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 11:55:15 pm »
on a 4GB SSD Hard Drive with 3GB of remaining drive space.

I assume this is a typo?

Cheers

Luke

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 11:42:07 am »
Totally agree, I know it's somewhat different but still a big waste of bandwidth and time

Your thread doesn't have anything to do with this issue.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:58:44 am »

First, one would need to wonder: WHY you got a corrupted download in the first place ? The most likely cause is an antivirus or a firewall or something like that, since we clearly don't have corrupted files online on our server, otherwise:

- we would have the forum swamped with similar reports.

AND

- you wouldn't be able to re-download the proper file, ever, if it was really corrupted on our side.

The installer is split in chunks of 480 MB but, if we "fixed" the way you are suggesting, it would be even worse because if it was a "single bin file", if the same thing that caused the corruption on the 480 MB file happened on a single 2.0GB file, you would ALWAYS have to re-download 2.0GB, even if we added a better check over a possible file corruption happened locally.

So no, the problem is NOT the installer is split in pieces, and it won't be fixed as you are suggesting it, because it would make it only worse.

About how the split files recombination works, we are using a default feature provided by Inno Setup ( the utility we use to make installers ), we haven't really wrote any code around it, and that feature doesn't provide checks about the integrity of the various pieces, it only verifies file *while* is uncompressing them. I guess we might fix it if we DID added extra code, to verify the checksum of the several .BIN files that makes up the package and prompt to re-download one that might have been corrupted. Of course, if the corruption was caused by an antivirus or any other software, unless you fix that, just downloading it again won't solve it.

So yes, we can probably add that and, one we'll do, if it will happen again, you WILL appreciate the fact the installer as splitted into pieces, instead of being "a single bin file", as you suggested here, because you would then have to re-try a smaller file, instead of a very large one.