Author Topic: Perplexed!  (Read 5161 times)

HiFlyer

Perplexed!
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »
Hi.

So far, I now have 5 FSDT FSX scenerys. JFK FFLL KLAS LSGG ZurichX.

So far in all sceneries except JFK and FFLL there are almost instantly noticable traffic anomalies, with planes wingtips interpenetrating at parking spaces, Driving through one another while taxiing etc.

I assumed that this was a duplicate afcad problem and made several sweeps looking for duplicates, using various tools with no success. Finally I completely deleted FSX and all folders and even did a registry clean before re-installing nothing but FSX and the FSDT sceneries.

Result?

At 100% traffic (which at default is not that many planes) I have the same wings interpenetrating from parking too close and or taxiing right through each other.  :P

Its very frustrating, and I am wondering if anyone can offer a solution as I am reluctant to install any AI packages that might complicate the situation further before finding out what the heck is happening!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:27:58 pm by HiFlyer »
i7 920 @ 3.8ghz \ Coolermaster V8 Cpu Cooler \ Asus P6T Deluxe
Nvidia 280 Gpu \ 6 Gigs Corsair Ram \ Vista 64
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio
AntecTruepower Quattro 850w Psu \ Klipsch Thx Audio Speakers
Gateway FPD2485w 24' Monitor

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Perplexed!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:42:07 pm »
You don't say which flight sim you are using.

If you are using FS9, this has been discussed already: when a scenery has custom hold short markings, the default  should be removed, but FS9 doesn't allow this in a clean way, but requires to either set the taxiway width at 1 ft, or to modify the ground textures around the hold short zones, in order to conceal the default one, without really removing them. This might create such issues in FS9, but it's not so automatic: it also depends on the traffic density and models used.

In FSX, there's a proper way to create an invisible hold short markers so, the problem doens't happen. As everybody probably knows by now, we design the scenery in FSX, and we don't do much testing under FS9. So, you shouldn't have this problem in FSX, I hope.

However, it's strange you say all sceneries have this, except KFLL and KJFK, since most of this discussion happened just for KFLL, which lead to a subsequent fix. So, it's quite unusual that we had lots of reports for KFLL, which was the last scenery we released, but not much for the other sceneries that have around for much longer.

HiFlyer

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »
This is in FSX. The most repeatable problem there is at Klas where there are three planes in a tight triangle with thier tails touching. This is with both default Airplanes and 3rd party AI

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7814/klasinterpenetration.jpg

Next is Lsgg where the tail end of planes extend into the taxiway. With just the default FSX planes barely squeeze by, larger planes from AI packages interpenetrate. Also, even with default planes, some will turn and taxi right through each other......

This also happens at Zurich with taxiing planes driving right through other parked planes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:42:35 am by HiFlyer »
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:52:51 pm »
Why is Alligiant even parked at that terminal??

HiFlyer

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:58:21 pm »
Why is Alligiant even parked at that terminal??

Who knows? This is with MyTrafficX and thats where the planes were placed..... Not much better with default and the fake airlines.  ;D

UT2, which I also purchased, tends to put Virgin airlines in there.........
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:39:54 am »
This is in FSX. The most repeatable problem there is at Klas where there are three planes in a tight triangle with thier tails touching. This is with both default Airplanes and 3rd party AI

Ok, this doens't have anything to do with the hold short problem and, of course, it's not a problem of the scenery, that has the parking positions correct.

The issue is, in real life, when two parking spots are so tight, there would be no way they would be both occupied at the same time.

Of course, Flight sim AI engine, any version, doesn't know anything about it so, the only "solution", would be removing one of the parkings in the AFCAD, but of course, no AI will ever park there anymore.

This also happens at geneva with taxiing planes driving right through other parked planes.

At Geneva, there are taxiways that are too tight for certain airplanes.

This is an entierly differnent thing, and might be fixed somehow, by playing with the "weight" parameter so, heavier airplanes will be directed to other taxiways, with less chance for conflicts.

HiFlyer

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:59:11 pm »
I am not familiar enough with these parts of the Sim to even be sure exactly what you are talking about, so I guess I am out of luck.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 03:00:23 pm by virtuali »
X-Fi Extreme Music Audio