Author Topic: Installing 32 and 64 bit GSX  (Read 2669 times)

Butch

Installing 32 and 64 bit GSX
« on: October 15, 2020, 07:39:00 pm »
I have both P3D V3.4 (32 bit) AND P3D v4.5 (64 BIT) sims installed. I am currently using the 32 bit version of GSX/GSX2 for both my sims.
Question, what would I stand to gain from using the 64 bit GSX/GSX2 for my P3D V4.5 and using the 32 bit for P3D V3.4? In other words,
I noticed the the 32 bit version detected both my sims (P3D V3.4 and P3D V4.5) and I allowed for installation, should I install the 64 bit
bit version over what is currently installed and install the 64 bit version to cover P3D V4.5?

Wanted to check before I go any further with this......

Thanks

edit: does this one file install both the GSX and Level 2?

What the latest date of the installer?  

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_gsx_level2.html
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 08:50:06 pm by Butch »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installing 32 and 64 bit GSX
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 09:24:40 pm »
Strictly speaking, there's no 64 bit version of GSX.

We recently updated the *Couatl* scripting engine to be 64 bit and a native client for P3D4, compared to the previous version which was used by all simulators, which was a 32 bit FSX Simconnect app, which worked in P3D4/5 because of the backward compatibility P3D has with the FSX Simconnect.

The advantage of using the 64 bit version is that it should be less dependent on different Simconnect versions, and it's not dependent on older VC++ runtimes like the 32 bit version is.

As far as GSX is concerned, the main visible difference is that P3D4/5 will use a different set of vehicles, made in PBR with much higher quality. If you were already using P3D3.4 and P3D4.5, you surely already have the PBR objects installed, because the FSDT Live Update would have installed them anyway, if you ran it at least once in the past year, after the PBR update came out.

The 64 bit upgrade is very recent and, again, it's done entirely by the Live Update. If you have P3D4 ( or 5 ) installed, running the Live Update will enable the 64 bit version to be active in the 64 bit simulators so, there's nothing for you to do, and nothing to reinstall.

Butch

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 10:13:09 pm »
Strictly speaking, there's no 64 bit version of GSX.

Thanks for explaining all that. I always thought that programs that installed in the Program (X86) directory were 32 bit and in the Programs directory were 64 bit.

So in essence, you are saying that the "32 bit installer" of Gsx with Level 2 which is located in my Programs (X86) directory will update both P3D sims (V3.4/V4.5)
and that the results are the same had I separately installed the 32 bit installer (P3d V3.4) and the 64 bit installer (P3D V4.5).  So the program just knows which sim to update
based on my inputs for the 32 bit installer.

Just thinking that there are two different installers and they reside in different directories therefore (Maybe) better performance results for the 64 installer over the 32 installer with
two different versions of P3D.  

I did a live update today (15 Oct 2020) with the 32 bit installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:43:25 am »
Thanks for explaining all that. I always thought that programs that installed in the Program (X86) directory were 32 bit and in the Programs directory were 64 bit.

That's just a convention.

So in essence, you are saying that the "32 bit installer" of Gsx with Level 2 which is located in my Programs (X86) directory will update both P3D sims (V3.4/V4.5)

No, the updater does updates. You must at least install the correct version for your simulator at least once using the installer, then the updater will keep it updated both versions forever.

Basically:

- If you have BOTH a 32 bit sim ( FSX, P3D3, etc. ) and a 64 bit sim, you should install BOTH GSX versions at least once, in order for the add-on to be added to its own simulator.

- After that first install, the Live Updater will keep updated both.

Butch

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 01:27:42 am »

That's just a convention.

No, the updater does updates. You must at least install the correct version for your simulator at least once using the installer, then the updater will keep it updated both versions forever.

Basically:

- If you have BOTH a 32 bit sim ( FSX, P3D3, etc. ) and a 64 bit sim, you should install BOTH GSX versions at least once, in order for the add-on to be added to its own simulator.

- After that first install, the Live Updater will keep updated both.

Today, I installed the 64 Bit P3D4 version, now I have the 32 Bit P3D3 version AND the P3DV4 version installed. Originally, I had only the P3D3 version installed and it managed to create

the ADD ON MANAGER drop down in P3D4 as well - which confused me after you mentioned ^ that BOTH versions should be installed when it seemed that both sims were being updated.

Now, I  have in my Addon Manager directory two updater files: Couatl_Updater2.exe and Couatl_Updater.exe. Guess that is Okay?

So,I  just need the one  "Addon Manager\Couatl_Updater.exe" program to update BOTH the P3D3 and the P3D4 files as far as I can tell. What is the  Couatl_Updater2.exe doing?

Do I need to run that one separately for the P3D4 updates?

In both Sims add on manger I can view the change log. One other thing is when I have updated the GSX and level 2 I can run it again, and it will try to update again.

It everything was up to date, one would think the program would of told me that I am up to date without going thru all the motions of downloading stuff etc, etc.....

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:30:56 am by Butch »