Author Topic: Internal Protection Error, please contact to author!  (Read 6798 times)

colinm44

Internal Protection Error, please contact to author!
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:43:42 pm »
A couple of weeks ago Live Updater gave the error message "Internal Protection Error, please contact to author!"

So I uninstalled all fsdt programs and reinstalled with fresh download from scratch. When it got to installing Live Update  I get the error above. I also tried the following:

1. Removed \Documents\GSX_Installer
2. Excluded all directories that are used by fsdt from antivirus
3. Turned off anti-virus (Sophos Home).

Tried re installing after all that and get the same error when trying to install Live Update.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Colin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:45:54 pm by colinm44 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Internal Protection Error, please contact to author!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 12:45:46 pm »
I'm sorry, but I cannot reproduce this. The only thing that can *possibly* cause this is the antivirus.

- Be sure, 100% sure, and totally sure you add the whole "Addon Manager" folder to the antivirus Exclusions list.

- If you are running more the one antivirus ( for example Windows Defender and a 3rd party one ), be sure you do the exclusion in BOTH products.

- Some antivirus don't really stop interfering, even if they seem to be turned off. I've experienced this first time several times on user's system: the antivirus was turned off, but its low-level service was still running in the background and was still interfering, and the only way to know that was to check the antivirus log and the only way to fix this, was to uninstall the antivirus and switch to a more reliable one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:48:25 pm by virtuali »

colinm44

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 12:59:29 pm »
Thank you, I have excluded every known folder that fdst uses including \addon manager. Further investigation with my antivirus solution reveals that I have to "Add a local exclusion". This involves creating a local exclusion to individual files (no directories). Can you tell me which files in particular I would need to exclude? Im guessing the 1st one would \Addon Manager\couatl\couatl.exe

Thanks for your help.

Colin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 02:03:15 pm »
This involves creating a local exclusion to individual files (no directories). Can you tell me which files in particular I would need to exclude? Im guessing the 1st one would \Addon Manager\couatl\couatl.exe

I'm sorry but, if your antivirus doesn't allow you to exclude folders, I strongly suggest to switch to a more reliable one, since excluding folders is a crucial feature that should always be available, and it's available even in the default Windows Defender.

No, Couatl.exe is not enough. You must exclude the whole folder and if your antivirus doesn't allow you to do that in one step, try to exclude at least all the executable files, which is all the .EXE files and all the .DLL files. There are hundreds of them in the Addon Manager folder, if you look recursively.

You might try adding the two Couatl_Updaters ( 1 and 2 ) .EXE only, as a start.

colinm44

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 06:17:09 pm »
Thanks for your input. The antivirus I use has a very advanced module that some programs are not compatible with it. Of course it has the folder exclusions for scanning etc. So for those programs that are not compatible with the advanced antivirus I have to do what they call a local exclusion.

This must have happened during one of your latest updates. Who knows why.

It's only happened once before with an addon during installation and I had to do a local exclusion. The author said that he uses a new type of installer that tries to make changes that are not normal. Probably antipiracy stuff. But we as paying subscribers always seem to get caught in the middle.

Anyway, I have it all working now and it was the couatil.exe file.

p.s. I wouldnt trade my antivirus app for anyother :)  ;D
Thanks again for your help, keep up the good work.

Colin

OmarFGarcia

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 02:13:00 am »
My P3D v5.1 was working perfectly fine until I updated it. Now I can use my airports because an "internal protection error"???
Not everybody is an expert on software especially after we paid lots of money on this. How can we fix it?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 02:03:13 pm »
This must have happened during one of your latest updates. Who knows why.

This because antivirus vendors are in the business of letting you know they are being able to catch more virus than the competition, even ones that hasn't even been found yet. So they use questionable heuristic, trying to guess what a program is doing and in our case ( and so many other products that are mistakenly flagged as threats ), they are worried by the fact that:

- We update the updater very often, at minimum once every time a new product comes out, since the updater must be updated to know about that. The most flawed heuristic used by antivirus is the "reputation" system: a file that is new, coming from a small developer that is not Microsoft or Google or Adobe, is automatically blacklisted, until it gains enough reputation. This of course penalize exactly what we are: small developers that update very often. It happens EVERY TIME we release a new update: users with bugged antivirus come here reporting new threats, but after a week or so, all reports stops, then they start again on the next update, and so on.

- Our updater downloads stuff from the internet. That's what an updater is supposed to do, but some antivirus automatically flag this is bad behavior, as this was some kind of trojan.

- We obviously using strong encryption, because we need to check sensible data, like your own license, in the updater. You wouldn't want to use a software that handles your personal data and was NOT protected against tampering, meaning it cannot be decompiled, and an antivirus cannot peek inside it. So, the flawed heuristic they use assumes that "just" because a software is protected against prying eyes, it "might" be a threat, because usually real virus also protects themselves against tampering ( to defend themselves against antivirus products )

You might wonder why the industry hasn't found a better method to help legit products to not being confused with threats and, in fact, they industry TRIED to find a method, which is called "Software Taggant", which is an IEEE standard that uses a special digital signature to help antivirus products to recognize legit product ( virus writers don't usually get access to digital signature, since you must provide with a real name/address to get one ), here's some info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_taggant

And guess what, WE DO USE IT. Unfortunately, the ones that should also use it, that is lots of antivirus vendors, seems to ignore this standard, and rely more on their flawed heuristic, so they can advertise they can check more virus than the competition.

Not that these issues are not happening even to the best: there's a known issue with MS Windows Defender ( hopefully should be fixed faster ), which blocked MSFS 2020 to even start, happen even to one of our developers: he had to reinstall the whole Windows, because MSFS didn't work anymore, only to realize it was blocked by Windows Defender!!

flyblueskies

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 02:16:58 pm »
Thank you Colinm44 for your last post.

I too use Sophos Home addition and had the same problem. I found I must add both couatil.exe and couatil2.exe as a local exclusion...

To do this:

1.Double click Sophos from your tray.
2. Click on HELP.
3. To the right, scroll to Trouble Shooting and click the down arrow.
4. You may need to scroll down, but look for the ADD button and click it.
5. Browse to the couatil.exe location and click it.
6. Repeat for couatil2.exe.

Now both files should be added as a local exclusion. After I did this, FSDT Updater ran without any issues.

Again, thank you Colinm44 for sharing this information!