Author Topic: ILS System for Aircraft Carriers  (Read 14776 times)

Barnes

ILS System for Aircraft Carriers
« on: October 27, 2007, 05:28:55 pm »
Love the F-18 so far. Thanks for the hard work...

Is there any kind of ILS or TACAN system available on the Aircraft Carriers in Acceleration that can be tuned-in for finding the ship and then landing during low visability or night operations? 

Thanks,

Dave

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: ILS System for Aircraft Carriers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 06:16:14 pm »
mmm...that would require to add an entirely new kind of navigational aid in the FS engine: a moving ILS. I think this is really something to keep as a suggestion for the next flight sim version.

abc

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:24:46 pm »
So there is no way to navigate to the carrier using any navaids???
(Let alone land there using the ILS/ACLS)

Regards

Bernt Stolle  Capt 767

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 02:27:10 pm »
You might try creating a flight plan, with the target being an arbitrary waypoint in the area of the carrier. It will not get you on top, but at least you can find it...

Intrepid

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 02:59:45 pm »
You might try creating a flight plan, with the target being an arbitrary waypoint in the area of the carrier. It will not get you on top, but at least you can find it...
I have the abacus flight deck 4 Add on and they have figured a  way to include the ILS feathers when in the GPS and or the map screen, I don't know a-lot about programming but is it possible they achieved this because there carriers are static and don't  move ?
2nd question; is there a way to turn off the auto flaps? , I am having the time of my life so far with your latest creation , by the way ( honestly the most fun you can have with your clothes on  ;D)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 03:08:16 pm »
I don't know a-lot about programming but is it possible they achieved this because there carriers are static and don't  move ?

Of course. Simulating an ILS, even if there isn't any real transmitter (I don't know if Abacus used an actual ILS placed on the carrier as a scenery), it's way easier, if the carrier doesn't move.

is there a way to turn off the auto flaps?

No, because the autoflap system can only be set on or off by manually editing the aircraft.cfg. However, I don't think it's possible to turn it off in the real airplane, at least not as a normal procedure. You are still commanding "how much" autoflaps you want, but using the standard flaps keys. The auto flaps logic is always in place, but the flaps keys commands the maximum extension ratio in relationship to airspeed/aoa, instead of an actual position.

Intrepid

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
Thanks for expedient answer on the flaps, and the explanation that went along with it,pretty obvious we have the most accurate F-18 sim to date( I have had 6 different versions over the years)
Randy

cuchillo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:40:10 pm »
Good morning all;
Can you set up guns in the F-18??

GR27

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 02:51:53 pm »
Abacus has a new Flight Deck 5 with moving carrier, will it work with Acceleration?

Razgriz

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 06:49:09 am »
Or microsoft can add the LSO's like FLIGHT DECK 5.  Wow, Abacus beats Microsoft.

reider

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 02:59:56 pm »
I`m working on an experiment now, with two versions;

Version 1

You key EG51 into the GPS and fly to an aircraft carrier just off EGHD Plymouth, in the bay-although I can move it further out to sea still as a GPS locatable.  Unfortunately this is not the working Acceleration carrier and is static.  At the moment, if you set off from that point you start at the water surface, though I believe I can fix this.

This is a simple 2 files to add to the add on folder in FSX and easy to delete if you no longer use it.

Version 2

You head to EG51 as above and use aicarrier2 to deposit an acceleration carrier at that point or 10nm ahead.  At that point gives full GPS for landing/takeoff practice and 10nm ahead means get to the point of EG51 and travel ahead 10 miles to intersect the carrier, which can be set as moving.

This is a simple single file to place in the FSX add ons folder and easy to remove.  With the addition of the install of aicarriers2, which again is easily uninstalled.

In each case EG51 is an invisible airfield to offer lat/long coordinates to the GPS.  The carrier from each version is spawned on top of this invisible airfield.  I am currently testing this and it works with the GPS no problem.  Not quite ready to release it yet.  I really need to find the exact UID of the Acceleration Carrier too, since the one in version 1 is not that model and has no catapult/wire effects other than a hardtop landing and static models on board.  I can also make this available anywhere in the world and have promised 6 more locations already. One of which will be sited near Iran/Iraq, possibly the Persian Gulf.  This is a work in progress......

Reider
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 03:09:41 pm by reider »