Author Topic: Visual Studio 2015-2019 **SOLVED**  (Read 3253 times)

somiller

Visual Studio 2015-2019 **SOLVED**
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:47:16 pm »
I ran the FSDT Live Update today and noticed it was installing Visual Studio 2015-2019 x86 and x64. They were already installed on my system, because I had downloaded and installed them for compatibility with another vendor's product. I would assume a reinstall should not have been needed. Is FSDT Live Update checking for presence of these before installing over what already exists?

Kind Regards,
Steven Miller
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:21:05 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Visual Studio 2015-2019
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:59:22 pm »
Is FSDT Live Update checking for presence of these before installing over what already exists?

It doesn't have to because, of course, those installers are made to do exactly that: check the presence of a previous installation, and not doing anything if they are already installed or a newer version is, so their "install" is usually very quick in this case, which I'm sure it's what you noticed.

somiller

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:06:38 pm »
Umberto,

And that's why you are a successful developer, and I am not - I knew that, but I had in fact forgotten...lol. Sometimes the keyboard is faster than the brain.

Kind Regards,
Steven Miller

buset1974

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 07:32:41 am »
Is FSDT Live Update checking for presence of these before installing over what already exists?

It doesn't have to because, of course, those installers are made to do exactly that: check the presence of a previous installation, and not doing anything if they are already installed or a newer version is, so their "install" is usually very quick in this case, which I'm sure it's what you noticed.

umberto, they not just checking but downloading also every time i run the fsdt live update.

Please check my attachment

thx

LukeK

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 04:21:24 pm »
umberto, they not just checking but downloading also every time i run the fsdt live update.

Downloading, checking, but not installing. Seems like a waste of bandwidth to me but I'm not paying the AWS bills.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:20:55 am »
Downloading, checking, but not installing. Seems like a waste of bandwidth to me but I'm not paying the AWS bills.

As I  explained in this and other threads, there's a reason for always downloading: it's because we don't try to reinvent the wheel, so we leave the task to CHECKING if an update is required, to the Microsoft installers themselves, which will surely know better so, clearly, we must first download them in order to start the, so they can do their own thing, which is CHECKING+UPDATING(IF REQUIRED)

buset1974

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 07:58:55 pm »

As I  explained in this and other threads, there's a reason for always downloading: it's because we don't try to reinvent the wheel, so we leave the task to CHECKING if an update is required, to the Microsoft installers themselves, which will surely know better so, clearly, we must first download them in order to start the, so they can do their own thing, which is CHECKING+UPDATING(IF REQUIRED)

do u know how big the virtual studio installer is? me and maybe another user, were live in country that internet iso expensive and the speed is not very fast is very pain taking.
as @lukeK said, "downloading and not installing is waste of bandwidth".
can u change the step (algorithm) that can be more efficient with bandwidth and time?
maybe you can ask before download (so user take their own risk for not downloading) or you have algorithm to verify checksum the previous downloaded installer with the new one?

thx
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 08:02:37 pm by buset1974 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 02:41:00 pm »
do u know how big the virtual studio installer is? me and maybe another user, were live in country that internet iso expensive and the speed is not very fast is very pain taking.

Then don't run the FSDT Live Update so often, but only when you get a notification there IS an update available.

Also, you are complaining about the Visual Studio installed, because that's what you SEE being downloaded but, the updater is also downloading several files without telling you, and those are REQUIRED for the Live Update to work and they are, guess what, the checksum you are suggesting we should use to make the updater more "efficient", but they are downloaded in the background, so you don't see anything and you don't complain...

can u change the step (algorithm) that can be more efficient with bandwidth and time? maybe you can ask before download (so user take their own risk for not downloading) or you have algorithm to verify checksum the previous downloaded installer with the new one?

Always asking users, would annoy all those users that are not worried about downloading. And having to ALWAYS ask "have you replied YES to the VC++ question ?" each time something doesn't work, would make support slower for everybody.

There's obviously an algorithm to verify checksum for ALL our files, but the VC++ installers are a bit different, because if you already have a newer version, it would fail the checksum, so it would still download even if not required, and it will be only the MS installer that will understand you do have a new version and won't do anything.

So, as I've said, instead of trying to detect your installed version, which is NOT reliable, since you might have the correct registry keys, but your installation might be corrupted/missing files, etc., so it will never, ever, be really foolproof, we just rely in the MS installers doing their job.