Author Topic: New PC - can't get any sounds from GSX  (Read 1023 times)

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
New PC - can't get any sounds from GSX
« on: October 29, 2023, 02:31:44 pm »
Hi Umberto,

I recently bought a new PC and have installed all my software onto it including all my FSDT airports and of course GSX / GSX Level 2.

I cannot get any sounds to play when initiating any GSX actions. Complete silence despite sound level in GSX Options being set to maximum.

The correct sound device is selected in the drop down and all sounds in Windows and on the PMDG737 play. It's just GSX where I have the problem.

I'm at my wits end trying to solve this problem. I've downloaded the Global Installer and then verified GSX and GSX Level 2 and both are fine. So why can't I hear any sounds? I've checked the Communications tab in Windows Sounds and it's set to "Do Nothing".

I've just checked the following folder and all the wav files are there and they play when I double-click them in Windows.

Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 02:49:21 pm by Ray Proudfoot »
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
Re: New PC - can't get any sounds from GSX
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 10:53:42 am »
Umberto,

The sim is P3D v5.3HF2. I'm attaching a zip containing the log file, the err file and couatladdons.ini. Hopefully the answer to hearing no GSX sounds lies in those files.

I would expect the log to show when a wav file is played but I can see no reference to that. How do I know if the wav is being played, the wav cannot be found or if there is a problem with Couatl seeing my sound device.

I don't have a separate sound card. I use the mobo sound connections. I can hear Windows sounds and sounds in P3D. It's just GSX sounds that I cannot hear.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 12:18:05 pm »
I uninstalled GSX from Control Panel - Add/Remove programs. Strange the only entry was GSX v2.9.8. No reference to GSX Level 2 which is a separate purchase.

I then tried to use the FSDT Installer but it said it was not compatible with P3Dv5 so after pressing OK I was taken to the download page for GSX. I downloaded the installer and installed it.

I then started P3D and checked that GSX and Level 2 were installed. They were. I setup my Lear at EHAM and requested a simple pushback.

It completed but with no sounds whatsoever. I tried a second time with the debug option selected. Again, no sound - only messages shown at the top of the screen.

Log attached. I see no reference to sound files being played. I would have expected every action taken by the program would be recorded.

Sounds in Windows, sounds in P3D but no sounds in GSX / Couatl. I'm at my wit's end trying to work out why.
Cheers,
Ray.

Andreasmb

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 01:33:17 pm »
Hi Ray,

though I am on MSFS2020 it might be worth a try on yr side.

When I updated to GSX latest version via FSDT installer I also had sound problems.
My interest felt on the CouatlAddons.ini and in my case it looked after that update like this with regards to [common] section

[common]
audiodevice = Generic Software on Lautsprecher (Realtek(R) Audio)
audiovolume = 1.00
disable = 0
audiodevice_comms = OpenAL Soft on Realtek HD Audio 2nd output (Realtek(R) Audio)
audiovolume_comms = 1.0
audiodevice_cockpit = OpenAL Soft on Lautsprecher (Realtek(R) Audio)
audiovolume_cockpit = 1.0
audiodevice_outside = OpenAL Soft on Lautsprecher (Realtek(R) Audio)
audiovolume_outside = 1.0

your section in the file you uploaded yesterday shows:

[common]
disable = 0
audiovolume = 1.00
audiodevice_comms = OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio)
audiovolume_comms = 1.0
audiodevice_cockpit = OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio)
audiodevice_outside = OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio)

What I did just as a trial to solve my problem was I deleted the 1st three lines under my [commons], so that it read:

[common]
audiodevice_comms = OpenAL Soft on Realtek HD Audio 2nd output (Realtek(R) Audio)
audiovolume_comms = 1.0
audiodevice_cockpit = OpenAL Soft on Lautsprecher (Realtek(R) Audio)
audiodevice_outside = OpenAL Soft on Lautsprecher (Realtek(R) Audio)

and that made it work when restarting MSFS and cuoatl.exe.

So maybe if you try it with deleting the 1st two lines in yr case?
To read:

[common]
audiodevice_comms = OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio)
audiovolume_comms = 1.0
audiodevice_cockpit = OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio)
audiodevice_outside = OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek USB2.0 Audio)

give it a try, can do no harm I suppose. ( Of course I do not know if "Realtek USD2.0 Audio" is yr valid audio source, but you will.

Andreas

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 03:00:41 pm »
Hi Andreas,

Many thanks for the advice. I removed those two lines, saved the changes and started P3D. I requested a simple pushback in the Lear but sadly there are still no sounds from GSX.

I think the logging needs to be more comprehensive with every action logged. So when a wav file is to be played it should be logged so the user and debugger can see if that action has been executed successfully.

Hopefully Umberto will be along soon.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 04:40:47 pm »
Umberto,

Given I can hear the wavs for GSX when I double click them it looks to me as though they're not being executed by the code. Especially when the log shows no action when pushback is requested.

I know this sounds daft but when you have eliminated all possible reasons for no sound, whatever remains - however implausible - must be the reason.

I have the Addon Manager launched via an entry in add-on.xml. Does the position of that amongst all the others make a difference? It's currently package.1 in add-on.xml in ProgramData\LM\P3Dv5.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 12:13:38 pm »
Three days on from my post and no response from @virtuali. This is a product support forum. Where is the support?

Not just for my post but several others yet to receive a reply. If @virtuali is indisposed for whatever reason perhaps someone else could offer support.
Cheers,
Ray.

flibinite

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2023, 12:00:36 am »
Ray, this may be coincidence but FYI - I had a perfectly functioning GSX until 3-4 days ago when I suddenly lost all sound.  I don't think I made any changes to my system except experimenting with some nvidea profile settings (which I reversed, and the sound did not return).  In the meantime, GSX offered me an automatic update as it often does.  I did that today, and the sound was restored. Perhaps you've got some 'in-between' version installed, though if so I'd expect you'd be getting the auto prompts to update as well.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 09:44:40 am »
@flibinite, according to this page the last update was 23/10. I have uninstalled and reinstalled GSX since then so I must have the latest version.

https://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

The first line in that post is interesting. Changes to the sound processing. I can’t help but feel that is crucial. I have a Asus ROG MAXIMUS HERO mobo with standard sound connections. My Logitech 2.1 speakers are years old but function perfectly well with Windows sounds, P3D sounds, PMDG sounds and FSL Concorde sounds. I can also double-click the GSX wav files and they are audible. My GSX sound settings are all on maximum and the option to play them is ticked.

But when executed by the Couatl code there is just silence. It’s totally frustrating because looking in the log there’s no indication of anything being logged when I request pushback. Surely all actions should be logged so both parties can see what is happening. Logically the command to play the sound isn’t being executed.

I don’t use NCP for anything except setting the refresh rate (30Hz) and resolution (3840*2160) for my BenQ monitor.

As a long time user of GSX / GSX Level 2 it’s the most frustrating problem I’ve encountered.
Cheers,
Ray.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2023, 12:03:09 pm »
Well this is absolutely bizarre. Without changing anything from yesterday when Coualt wouldn't play any GSX sounds they've returned this morning with the PMDG737.

I have no idea what the reason might be. Given so few have reported the problem I'm wondering if it might be related to FS Labs Concorde which requires different GSX settings. I use SimStarterNG to copy Coualtaddons.ini depending on whether Concorde is used or not. Can't see that being a problem but I'll investigate.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 10:24:55 am »
Well this is absolutely bizarre. Without changing anything from yesterday when Coualt wouldn't play any GSX sounds they've returned this morning with the PMDG737.

The airplane used shouldn't make any difference about this.

I use SimStarterNG to copy Coualtaddons.ini depending on whether Concorde is used or not. Can't see that being a problem but I'll investigate.

This might be a problem, you just can't swap the .INI file like that, because that stores your sound preferences as well and, if one of your Couatladdons.INI was made for a previous version before we updated the sound to use multiple devices, so it used an older version of the sound engine, it won't work.

Our installer automatically clears up entries made for the old version but, if you swap the .INI file like that, you can introduce the problem.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 11:27:50 am »
This might be a problem, you just can't swap the .INI file like that, because that stores your sound preferences as well and, if one of your Couatladdons.INI was made for a previous version before we updated the sound to use multiple devices, so it used an older version of the sound engine, it won't work.

Our installer automatically clears up entries made for the old version but, if you swap the .INI file like that, you can introduce the problem.

Here are the settings FSL recommend. Note GSX sounds are set to minimum. The only mandatory setting is "Good engine start confirmation". For ease of use I might abandon the file copy and just set that option manually for Concorde flights.
Cheers,
Ray.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 01:40:19 pm »
Here are the settings FSL recommend.

Those are not relevant.

The settings I'm referring to are the ones in the [common] section of the file, which has been pointed to you by Andreasmb to keep changing, because you are juggling the .INI file externally. Just don't do that anymore or, if you really must, once you have settled on a sound configuration that works for you, be sure you copy all lines the [common] section from the current Couatladdon.ini file to the "backup" copies you use to juggle configs.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 05:58:35 pm »
I’m sticking to the one ini and will just enable the “Good engine start” option for non-Concorde flights. Keep it simple.  ;D
Cheers,
Ray.

DaveT

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 10:24:03 pm »
It worked with my headset. Thanks Ray. ;)