Author Topic: List of aircrafts recognized by the docking systems  (Read 2122 times)

Gpxe

List of aircrafts recognized by the docking systems
« on: May 02, 2019, 11:33:01 pm »
Hello everyone

Is there somewhere a list of all the aircrafts that are recognized by the GSX docking systems (the docking systems, right, not the marshaller) ?

Is this list by type of aircraft or for specific aircraft (example : PMDG 737 and freeware 737 are recognized teh same or as two different aircrafts ?) ?

I fly a lot with Fokker 50 from Carenado and I'm fed up getting the "Stop ID Fail" when trying to park .... So I would like to know if I could possibly tweak something in GSX or in the aircraft.cfg file

Thanks

Greg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: List of aircrafts recognized by the docking systems
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:28:41 am »
The current docking system supports these airplane types:

All Airbus from A300 to A380

All Boeing from 707  to 787

CRJ 700/200

DC9 and DC10

All MD series from MD80 through MD90

MD11

CRJ 145/190

ATR 42/72

Concorde

Dash8

Once an airplane is recognized, it doesn't matter who made it, provided it has a GSX configuration for it. However, it's not possible for users to add new airplane types.

This is how the current system works, which is back-compatible with FSX and because of this, it's limited in the number or airplane types it can support, because adding a new type would mean adding new animations and recompiling all the variants. This, in addition to be time consuming for us each time a new airplane type is added, affect performances, because the models will grow larger as new airplane types are added.

We are not going to update it, because it will go away soon, to be replaced with a more advanced DirectX-based system in P3D4, which will go away with the animation system entirely, and will be able to work automatically with any airplane, as long it's configured for GSX.

Gpxe

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 10:01:40 am »
Thanks Umberto.

Very clear as always.

So I'll wait for the next update. Or is that coming with the pushback update?

For those willing to explore further, can you explain where the aircraft types are coded? In the mdl file?

Many thanks.

Greg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:38:25 am »
For those willing to explore further, can you explain where the aircraft types are coded? In the mdl file?

Yes, but not only. Even if you could possibly add new animations to the .MDL file (very complex, and there are several variants that would all have to be updated), you would have to change the code in GSX that recognize them so, as I've said, it's not possible for end users.

Gpxe

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:35:18 am »
Thanks Umberto

If I may try once more  ;D , not willing to change anything in the GSX/Couatl code, but I understand that Couatl reates/reads/writes a local variable named L:safegate_info_panel2. If you could just let us know where Couatl originally reads the aircraft type, I could change that for my aircrafft. I suspect it might be in the aircraft.cfg file, in the General section (atc_model) or the flightsim.xx section (sim) but you certainly know better and it would be very helpful... I know that changing this in the aircraft.cfg could have other consequences in P3D but let's see...

I really wanna park my Fokker 50 as a MD-80 ;D

Many thanks

Greg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:50:47 am »
I understand that Couatl reates/reads/writes a local variable named L:safegate_info_panel2.

That's only used for animation, it won't make any different to the airplane detection.

I really wanna park my Fokker 50 as a MD-80

You can try changing the atc_model in the aircraft.cfg. Of course, the ATC will then identify you as an MD-80

Gpxe

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 11:51:51 am »
OK guys, I made some tries, GSX reads teh aircraft type for teh docking system in the aircraft.cfg, [General] section, atc_model line. Put MD-80 insead of F50 here and your aircraft will park as a MD-80.... Don't know though if this has other major consequences in P3D....

Well, ATR72 might be a better proxy for Fokker 50....

Umberto, just to conlcude, is the parking system update coming with the next update or will it come later with the pushback update ?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 12:51:36 pm »
is the parking system update coming with the next update or will it come later with the pushback update ?

Later, since we'll have to remodel all docking systems anyway, which looks dated. We want to release the new update as soon as possible, since it's already long overdue.