Author Topic: Addon manager  (Read 7886 times)

steev

Addon manager
« on: July 17, 2009, 06:41:24 pm »

Hallo,

I am using the cloud 9 sceneries Amsterdam ans KLAX. Therefore must be Add on manager files installed. The version of my installation is
1.55. the version from the Fsdt homepage is 1.60.
Is it necessary to update to version 1.60 or will my installed 1.55 version also work ?

The problem is, the system I am using these sceneries cannot be connected to the internet (no port).
So I had to perform the purchase by a notebook, willy-nilly FS9 installed on. Then I could get a reg file and perform the installation the the right system (transfering the Add on manager files and activating all of it by a machine connected to internet and noting all activation codes by hand).
I hope this procedure will also work for Fsdt KJFK.

Updating the addon manager to a newer version than mine might cause a reactivation of cloud9 KLAX and Amsterdam  ???
O.K. I could do this, but will it cosume new amounts of activation (if I still have ones)  ???

I hope Fsdt could help me further answering, my decision to buy KJFK strongly depends on    :-\

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon manager
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:36:37 am »
You are worring of a lot of stuff, which is not really necessary.

The newest version of the Addon Manager is obviously compatible with Cloud9 sceneries, provided of course you are using the current version of the sceneries.

And, of course, you can verify that your Cloud9 sceneries work, just by installing the Trial. And, who told you that, just by updating the Addon Manager on the same machine, will require a reactivation for Cloud9 sceneries ? As clearly explained, basically everywhere the Addon Manager is explained (including all the manuals and all the FAQ on this website), a reactivation is needed when you change a major hardware component, or when you reinstall Windows from scratch. It's surely not needed when the Addon Manager is updated.

There WAS a case, with Cloud9 products, that you needed to confirm the activation, though: the change of Cloud9 policy from 2 to 5 activations per order was the only reason why, in this specific case, just updating the Addon Manager, required an online check, in order to upgrade your machine with the new (better) Cloud9 activation policy. It was a one time-only thing, that will never happen again. But I think your current Addon Manager is already newer than that, because it happened in March 2008, when KORD was released.

Also, it's not true that, if you purchase on another machine, you use an activation that would be wasted just to get a .REG file to move on the machine you are really going to use. This might have been true for Cloud9 products, but our products have an additional option, not available for Cloud9, which is the purchase on the Web. You still will use the Addon Manager, just selec the "Buy on Web / PayPal" option instead of the "Buy" option.

This will launch a browser that will allow to buy products on a web page, but the scenery will NOT be activated on that machine automatically. You'll get a purchase receipt via email, with your Serial Number, and then you can use the "Register Serial" on the OTHER machine, to activate that one, of course, using the off-line activation method, since that machine doesn't have an internet connection. This will consume only 1 activation.

steev

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:08:20 pm »
Thank you very much answering my questions,
I am always a bit doubting...
But it Is necessary to do the purchase inside FS9 working...(like the cloud 9 products) ??

If there is a posibility purchasing KJFK without FS9 running (e.g. not on the machine performing the purchase)
could you please tell me how ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:24:48 pm »
But it Is necessary to do the purchase inside FS9 working...(like the cloud 9 products) ??

Normally yes but, there's a difference, which is exactly what you have asked about the "wasted" activation on the machine you don't intend to use.

Cloud9 doesn't have a webstore, so their products can be purchased ONLY with the integrated purchase in FS9. That's why you will not see a "Buy on Web" option for THEIR products.

We have a Webstore, and a "Buy on Web" option which means, you need to have FS9 running, but just to launch the browser, your purchase will not be automatically activated, you will only get a receipt with a Serial Number, that you can activate on another machine.

If there is a posibility purchasing KJFK without FS9 running (e.g. not on the machine performing the purchase)
could you please tell me how ?

The above is the standard procedure. We suggest to use that one, so you have to install the Trial, and we want you to test the Trial, that's why we don't usually advertize a direct Web link.

However, as I've said, the FS9 purchase using the "Buy on Web" option, doesn't do anything special: it's simply launches a browser, to the following address:

http://store.esellerate.net/store/s.aspx?s=STR6697073375

When you get your email receipt with your Serial Number, you install the Trial on the FS9 machine you intend to use, and then select "Register Serial" from there.

Of course, if the FS9 machine doesn't have internet access, you need to go through the Offline activation method.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 06:27:03 pm by virtuali »

steev

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:22:53 am »
Thank you, telling me the link,

I just performed the purchase within and got now a Serial Number (I just noted).
Now you say, it is possible to insert inside FS9 ans FSX after installation of the trial ?
But I have to type the serial by hand inside in the option you told me ?
From the cloud 9 products I got a .reg file or have I to create one ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:33:12 pm »
You asked if it was possible to buy with a PC without Flight sim installed. Of course, in this case, you wouldn't have a .REG file, because there's no flight sim there to create one.

So, if you bought without flight sim installed, and want to activate on another PC, you need to insert it using the "Register Serial" function.

Of course, once the scenery is active, you CAN create a .REG file on this PC, so you don't have to manually type the Serial Number, the next time you need to Reinstall.

With Cloud9 products, you had a .REG file, but because you HAVE to install Flight sim for their products, because they don't have a separate Web store. Which is exactly what you asked for: with our Web store, you don't have to waste an activation, like in Cloud9's case, just to purchase the scenery and to have a .REG file to move around.

steev

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:19 pm »
Thank you, now the procedure is clear...
but I did some hard mistakes before...
Inside the Serial Number I read a W, but VV was ment. So I typed inside the "Register Serial" function the wrong one.
After all the FS9(.1)  crashed and I tryed typing the wrong one again (because I did not know it was wrong) after I could fortunately restart FS9 normal again.
FS created a reg file and gave me an activation ID and just I remarked the mistake, activation by esellarate failed.
Is it possible to retype the correct one inside "Register Serial" function once again or is it necessary to delete the wrong
Serial from the Windows registry ? If so, I do not kow how this could be safely done...
I hope, this is not necessary and FS will not crash again or happening any awfull things again.
Now it is clear, why after restarting FS9 no offline activation option appeared...

I hope you could help me or tell me what to do if necessary :-\

Could it also help/ be necessary to go back to a windows (XP) recovery point I fortunately created some days ago ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »
FS created a reg file and gave me an activation ID and just I remarked the mistake, activation by esellarate failed.

Then, simply edit this file with Notepad (Select "Open with..." on the .REG file, then choose Notepad), correct the serial, the double click on it, it will update the information in the registry with the correct serial number, and it will pass the activation.

There's nothing strange or secret about the .REG file: it's the standard Windows export/import file format for a registry entry, and it's a normal text file.