Author Topic: F18 Engine Start up question  (Read 40120 times)

RED121572

• "How hard can it be?"
F18 Engine Start up question
« on: November 30, 2007, 03:29:15 pm »
On the left panel, there is a toggle switch that starts engine number one. For the life of me, I can not find the toggle that starts engine number two.  :-\

Thanks for the help.
If you can't beat em, scare em.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: F18 Engine Start up question
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 04:20:44 pm »
It's a two-way switch, try to use the mouse wheel or drag, to start the right engine. I agree it's not so easy to operate, but it works...

RED121572

• "How hard can it be?"
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:43:04 pm »
Ok, I thought so, but..........

When I toggle the switch it to the left, number one engine will start. (right engine)

When the switch is toggled to the vertical position, it idicates in the "off" position.

When the switch is toggled to the right position, its still indicates in the "off" position. Faulty switch or faulty pilot?  ;D
If you can't beat em, scare em.

islandjet

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 03:27:23 pm »
sing with me now..

(chorus)
"cntrl E prevents insanity"

Razgriz

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 11:41:26 pm »
If you were in a real F/A-18 would you bring a keyboard and smack it when Ctrl + E doesnt start the engine?  I think its a problem on your end.  I do a manual startup all the time.  I set the crank to L then once my engine rpm % is stable at 66 i move it to crank R and then once thats stable at 66% rpm i turn the crank off and taxi.  The engine gauges are next to the fuel (Fuel is left of the DDI at the bottem and the engine is left of the fuel)

crim3

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 09:08:08 am »
If you were in a real F/A-18 would you bring a keyboard and smack it when Ctrl + E doesnt start the engine?
That's the kind of things that the aircraft designers are interested in, especially for military aircraft. Look at those advanced fly-by-wire of the f-22 or the eurofighter, ironically, to fly those modern planes is similar to fly in an early 90's flight simulator.

Anyway, I agree with you, I just wanted to point that out. Although the ergonomics of a mouse over a VC is very poor compared to the real thing (your hands over the buttons, switches and levers).

SUBS17

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 02:39:01 am »
sing with me now..

(chorus)

CNTRL E is for noobs, pity FSX doesn't have a feature to prevent cntrl E in MP.

chupaflier

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 11:08:08 pm »
Can someone please post pictures with a couple of labels indicating where are the switches that need to be operated to do manual start-up? Perhaps the manual start-up sequence also?  8)
Thanks

wb5okj

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 04:04:34 am »
First switch the battery and both alternator switches on. Turn on APU wait for green light to light, then switch the engine crank to the left when rpm is 66 % switch engine crank switch to left. When rpm is at 66% turn APU and engine crank switch off.
This may not be the exact sequence in real life, but it will get your engines started.  8)

Donald E. Donovan

[attachment deleted by admin]

chupaflier

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 02:55:44 am »
Thank you for that post, it is very clear... but ... one more question:
When I start the game, the engines are already on  ??? I figured there was a
setting somewhere in the configuration to make them be on when the game
finishes loading the free flight but I couldn't find it  :-\
How can I do it?

chupaflier

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 03:02:02 am »
Mistake on second line, I meant to say off.

setting somewhere in the configuration to make them be OFF when the game

SUBS17

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 03:59:16 am »
First switch the battery and both alternator switches on. Turn on APU wait for green light to light, then switch the engine crank to the left when rpm is 66 % switch engine crank switch to left. When rpm is at 66% turn APU and engine crank switch off.
This may not be the exact sequence in real life, but it will get your engines started.  8)

Donald E. Donovan

Theres one button missing here thats required to start and thats the Fuel shutoff(CNTRL SHT F4) button does anyone know if this button is modeled and where its located? Also in the shutdown check list what button is it refering to for:
Avionics equipment
DDI, HI MPCD and HUD?

Scoutdriver

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:01:36 am »

Donald E. Donovan

Theres one button missing here thats required to start and thats the Fuel shutoff(CNTRL SHT F4) button does anyone know if this button is modeled and where its located? Also in the shutdown check list what button is it refering to for:
Avionics equipment
DDI, HI MPCD and HUD?

Neither the fuel shutoff or the master avionics switch is modeled. I believe the fuel shutoff (Ctrl Shft F4) is labeled as "full rich" in the keymappings. I remapped it to R. The master avionics is also in the keymappings. I set mine to V. As far as starting the flight with the engines off, it can be done. It's called "cold and dark." I had to download a file from another sim website. Once you install you can load the "cold and dark" file from the free flight saved flights. Once loaded, just change your aircraft, location, etc. and then re-save if need be. Be advised your Master Caution will be illuminated. This is because you are low on fuel (even though the fuel gauge shows around 7500). I'd recommend loading near a fueling point. Here are a couple of links to get that file.

http://www.highflightsimulations.com/musthavefiles.html

http://www.simviation.com/fsxmisc1.htm
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 07:10:32 am by Scoutdriver »

Great Ozzie

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 01:24:36 am »
According to the NATOPS for the SuperHornet (which I am assuming is same for Hornet... wow 2 assumptions already!  :o) Moving the throttles from OFF to IDLE opens the engine fuel control shutoff valves.  So apparently this is not modelled (along with a few other things in the NATOPS checklist).

LOL, I loved ur crack Islandjet about Ctrl+E.  And I agree!  I mean if the start-up procedure mimicked what was in the NATOPS (including possible "emergencies" like hot starts and such) and required one to monitor the ENG page... sure I might consistently use the checklist startup procedure.  For now I leave it to the crew-chief (ctrl+e) :-P

Btw, I DO NOT imply any criticism here toward the Developer!  I am absolutely "enthralled and enraptured" with Carrier Ops and this bird.  Not since Falcon 3.0 have I had so much fun with a military aircraft!  Thanks alot for the work that went into this.  (hehe when u kick left or right rudder you can see the pilot turn his head! and you can see his arms move the stick and throttle too!)

Rob O.

wb5okj

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 02:15:50 am »
You don't need any special file to start "Cold and Dark". Simply set up your cockpit the way you want it, and where you want it, then save that flight, checking the make this the default flight check box, located to the lower left of the save box.  I find the easiest way to do this is first load a plane I am familiar with, set it up the way you want your startup cockpit then switch to the FA18 cockpit. To save it hit the semicolon, ";", button, the save box comes up name it StartUp Flight for example, check the Make This the Default Flight button and you are set with a cold and dark cockpit the next time you start the simulator!!

Donald E. Donovan

[attachment deleted by admin]