Author Topic: Due to icing conditions....(Denver)  (Read 2297 times)

Drumcode

Due to icing conditions....(Denver)
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:22:31 pm »
My home base is Denver, I have yet to start the engines while pushing back, no matter what the weather outside is. Any idea why KDEN would constantly have icing conditions even if the temps are in the 20's +???

sw34669

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Due to icing conditions....(Denver)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:24:55 pm »
It's not obviously "a bug", as clearly explained in that post, the problem is likely caused by an invalid metar string being sent to the sim and in that linked post, it's clearly explained why we decided to err on the side of caution, and always allow deicing (which you can always refuse), rather than blocking deicing when you might really need and a malformed metar comes.

sw34669

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:01:56 pm »
doesnt add up - for the love of god if the other add ons and aircraft i have can read the local temp from p3d why cant GSX ? Why do all the PMDG aircraft correctly show the local temp. If the sim temp was wrong they would also be wrong. Read the sim temp from whereever they read it from.
Many people also use activesky, they have a great http: API, read it from there with one call

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 07:21:04 pm »
doesnt add up - for the love of god if the other add ons and aircraft i have can read the local temp from p3d why cant GSX ?

This, of course, has also been explained in the linked thread. GSX is not reading "just" the temperature, it needs the DEW POINT as well, to estimate possible icing and, since there's no variable for the Dew Point, we must read the METAR string, obviously using the proper, official way, that's through Simconnect.

any people also use activesky, they have a great http: API, read it from there with one call

No need to use a proprietary call, when an official one exists, which is Simconnect, which should always work regardless of the weather engine used.

Artox67

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:33:53 am »
doesnt add up - for the love of god if the other add ons and aircraft i have can read the local temp from p3d why cant GSX ?

This, of course, has also been explained in the linked thread. GSX is not reading "just" the temperature, it needs the DEW POINT as well, to estimate possible icing and, since there's no variable for the Dew Point, we must read the METAR string, obviously using the proper, official way, that's through Simconnect.

any people also use activesky, they have a great http: API, read it from there with one call

No need to use a proprietary call, when an official one exists, which is Simconnect, which should always work regardless of the weather engine used.

TBH Umberto this is nonsense. -4 degrees are -4 degrees. Doesn't matter what dewpoint are.

Here a litte definition what dewpoint means:

dew point
noun
noun: dewpoint
the atmospheric temperature (varying according to pressure and humidity) below which water droplets begin to condense and dew can form.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 01:14:38 pm »
TBH Umberto this is nonsense. -4 degrees are -4 degrees. Doesn't matter what dewpoint are.

Not again...I obviously know exactly what dewpoint is, thank you. This is NOT the issue. Please re-read my replies more carefully, before saying I'm writing "nonsense."

As I've said, so many times already, GSX will NEVER consider icing possible, when the temperature is above +7C. If it's below, it will then look at the relationship with the dewpoint.

The issue is, what GSX should do when it CANNOT parse Metar from the sim because, for some reason, the Metar string it got from the sim is CORRUPTED/ILLEGAL/CONTAINS AN ERROR, or anything else that would cause the official standard library we use to parse the official Metar format to considered it incorrect.

And again, as I already explained, so many times already, what do you think it's best for GSX to do, if the Metar is invalid OR the temperature reported in the Metar is CONFLICTING with the temperature reported in the simulator variable ?

And, what about if the Metar is not corrupted, but it's just wrong ? How can GSX can possibly know that what is an otherwise legal Metar string, is in fact outdated/wrong, maybe because the weather engine you use is confusing it ?

As I've said, so many times already, the only thing that would stop you assuming GSX has a "bug", when it clearly hasn't, would be to just ignore the Metar altogether, and look only at the outside Temperature, which could be done by reading only the simulation variable.

That would mean, of course, we would have to ignore the dewpoint entirely, which is wrong and a step back in realism but, if people continue to fail to understand this, and continue to assume GSX as an incorrect deicing detection, when the only issue is other addons playing with the weather in nonstandard ways (thus confusing Metar reports from Simconnect), I'm afraid that's the only choice we have.