Author Topic: AI Jetway detection  (Read 4863 times)

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
AI Jetway detection
« on: September 20, 2018, 06:46:54 pm »
  Reading over on the SODE forum posted yesterday by 12bPilot "Jetways injected by GSX are not supported for AI detection. That’s because I don’t want to interfere with externally injected jetways since I don’t have control over them. I leave the entire triggering and control to the external app (GSX), SODE just drives the animation on request."  
 How do we get AI detection to work?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:48:52 pm by Dave_YVR »

jabloomf1230

Re: AI Jetway detection
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:19:32 pm »
 Reading over on the SODE forum posted yesterday by 12bPilot "Jetways injected by GSX are not supported for AI detection. That’s because I don’t want to interfere with externally injected jetways since I don’t have control over them. I leave the entire triggering and control to the external app (GSX), SODE just drives the animation on request."  
 How do we get AI detection to work?

It will only work with airports that already have non-GSX SODE jetways

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 02:10:53 am »
Well that kind of blows,

Thanks Jay

virtualstuff

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:43:41 am »
Well that kind of blows,

Thanks Jay

Yeah all in action and then complaining about FPS that blows  ;D

DreamSkywards

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 11:53:18 am »
I would be curious to know what is so different in Level 2 jetways that that would impact FPS more than the "other" SODE jetways.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »
I would be curious to know what is so different in Level 2 jetways that that would impact FPS more than the "other" SODE jetways.

I think I already explained in several other threads it's NOT "just" an fps problem. Fps will be just one of the possible problems and it can be explained by simply looking at our jetways and compare them with "other" SODE jetways.

Not only they are far more detailed but, your ability to easily change different models, means their impact on fps can be higher, just because of their variety. For example, if you use different models with different textures ( like Thyssen+JBT ) at the same airport and you even use different colors, all these 4K textures will have to be loaded at the same time.

The same if you enable accessories (ground, gpu, air, number) on all of them, or if you enable bridges on all of them: they are separate objects, so they are not as optimized as they could be if we just modeled an inflexible jetway, as we might have done if we had to do "just" a scenery. I know you all hate those developers that made jetways embedded in the terminal, making it hard to replace them but, it must be said this is MORE optimized than modeling them as separate objects.

The flexibility to change jetways on your own and combine them in infinite variations, comes with *some* fps cost, which we keep under control, because we draw only ONE animated jetway at the time. As usual, there's no free lunch with software and, usually, what you win in flexibility, you lose in performances.

But fps is just HALF of the problem.

The other half is that, in addition to draw lots of animated jetways instead of one ( the static model is likely 10x faster than the dynamic one) we would have to continuously monitor AI airplanes, exchanging lots of additional data through Simconnect, which would risk disrupting other addons.

Yes, of course, someone might say "why you don't do that for the closer AI only ?". Well, of course we would but, in order to know if they are close, you must still check all the AI in the airport. And, at a certain point, jetways will "snap" from static to dynamic and vice-versa while you change your  position (while taxiing, for example), and this switch WILL create STUTTERS, because the simulator is not very efficient in creating objects in multi-threading.

When you activate a jetway in GSX, which triggers switching from a static to a dynamic, there IS a small pause, but you don't care because you are parked. And, in order to prevent visual glitches, we create the dynamic jetway *underground*, then we WAIT like a second or two (to allow enough time to finish loading it), then we move it at the correct height. Now, imagine taxiing on a complex airport, with AI jetways constantly switching from static to dynamic because you are getting closer, with a second of stuttering in between.

Please, don't think for a moment we haven't thought of this. The LAST thing we need to hear, is someone with 250 parked AI saying "I installed GSX Level 2, and it killed my fps and transformed the simulator in a stutter fest"

DreamSkywards

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 01:25:59 pm »
No worries man. I understand and respect your decisions. It was my curiosity striking, I'm fine with jetties not docking to AI.

Ankh

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 02:30:18 pm »
BTW: if jetways docking to AI planes is that much of importance, why simply replacing only every second jetway with the GSX Level 2 variant? Together with an adjusted AFCAD, you can modify the airport as such that AI traffic only goes to stands with the "default" SODE jetway.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 06:36:13 pm »
 How about an option to enable or disable AI detection or something?
 I know I'm not alone in the thinking that I, as the pilot of my aircraft don't even see the jetway attached to my aircraft except for when actually boarding (and then only from the inside) and the walk around. How many of us sim pilots do either of those? BUT, we ALL taxi by all this traffic that used to have jetways attached and now doesn't. While I understand the performance impact and only minorly understand the complexity of how GSX works from the inside, it's a massive immersion killer.

Hightower

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 07:33:43 pm »
I would have to agree. At the very least the option. Its a complicated scenario for sure, but with all the different hardware configurations out there, the user should be able to have the option whether this can be enabled for AI or not based on what their performance is giving them. Just have it off by default but at least it can be there.  Perhaps a lower resolution jetway would help. Certainly dont need high res jetways.
The idea is great so hopefully this can evolve to a better immersion with all thats involved.

Jerrymc3

• My B737-800 Cockpit
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 08:48:38 pm »
I was wondering if the same problems would affect AI aircraft using a pushback vehicle.  I would like to see that even more than their using moving jetways.

Jerry
MSFS2020 PROSIM738
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi MB
Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
EVGA CLC 240 Liquid / Water CPU Cooler
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Gigabyte RTX 3090 TI 24GB
OC EFIS,MCP,FWD/AFT Ovhd,COM,NAV,ADF,XPND

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 11:03:49 pm »
How about an option to enable or disable AI detection or something?

It's not as if we could turn on a switch, and GSX will magically work on AI.

We would have to spend valuable time to change a significant part of the whole GSX code (that could be better spent to do more important things, like the "Mother of all Pushbacks", which is our internal codename for the next upgrade) to add an option that, as soon users will realize how disruptive could be on the whole sim, will surely turn off.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 12:29:35 am »
 That's quite unfortunate, as much as I love my GSX and what level 2 brings, not having jetways working on AI is a bigger step backward than it is forward.

wtravelair

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 09:53:36 am »
Since the release of MK-Studios LPPT, the scenery developers can add this feature?

All jetways at LPPT move with AI and also for user aircraft with GSX L2 enabled features (ie moving passengers on the user jetway). Yes there are fewer (moving) jetways at LPPT as opposed to larger airports but surely this can be a feature added for smaller airports?

Here was my original post:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,18571.0.html

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 06:32:15 pm »
All jetways at LPPT move with AI and also for user aircraft with GSX L2 enabled features (ie moving passengers on the user jetway).

How many of them ? JFK, for example, has 170 jetways...