Author Topic: Custom Logos for Jetways  (Read 8103 times)

officercrockey

Custom Logos for Jetways
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:40:26 pm »
Hi,

first of all congrats to the Level 2 Expansion. Enjoying it so far and already placed SODE Jetways on my favourite airport. Many more to come...

But I was wondering how it is possible to make a custom logo. I found the folder of the textures, but adding a folder and texture didn‘t seem to help and also I am afraid that a future update will just delete it.

Is it at all possible right now or is a update of the GSX Paintkit needed? If there is a update needed... how do I make sure, that I don‘t lose my custimizations?

virtualstuff

Re: Custom Logos for Jetways
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:52:09 pm »
Hi,

first of all congrats to the Level 2 Expansion. Enjoying it so far and already placed SODE Jetways on my favourite airport. Many more to come...

But I was wondering how it is possible to make a custom logo. I found the folder of the textures, but adding a folder and texture didn‘t seem to help and also I am afraid that a future update will just delete it.

Is it at all possible right now or is a update of the GSX Paintkit needed? If there is a update needed... how do I make sure, that I don‘t lose my custimizations?

You have to add the texture to the sim.cfg for the corresponding jetway and logo size with different parameters...
Make a backup of the sim.cfg file and after an update do a file compare and
copy the changes back or the copy sim.cfg file from backup... (you have to be sure they are identical ;-)

PC Pilot

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:44 pm »
1. I've read the instructions that came with the latest paint kit.

2. I've looked in the forums.

None of it is making any sense to me as I work through this. All I would like to do is add a custom logo to the dropdown menu.

Are there any instructions/examples showing what where the .dds file should be placed?

What sim.cfg files should be updated?

Just trying to figure out how to add a virtual airline jetway logo.

Thanks.

kennymac825

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »
I struggled with this for the longest time but eventually figured it out. In the sim.cfg file for the jetway logs folder you have to include all 10 Sode jetways. See the following it is for an Air Canada logo to show in the drop-down menu.

[fltsim.470]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_JBT_1_4_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_JBT_1_4_LOGO

couatl.icaoprefixes = C CYYZ CYQG CYMX CYUL CYQB CYHZ CYWG CYEG CYYC CYVR
couatl.atc_parking_codes = ACA

[fltsim.471]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_JBT_2_5_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_JBT_2_5_LOGO

[fltsim.472]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBC_1_4_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBC_1_4_LOGO

[fltsim.473]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBC_2_5_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBC_2_5_LOGO

[fltsim.474]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBNL_1_4_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBNL_1_4_LOGO

[fltsim.475]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBNL_2_8_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TBNL_2_8_LOGO

[fltsim.476]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_1_4_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_1_4_LOGO

[fltsim.477]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_2_5_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_2_5_LOGO

[fltsim.478]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_2_7_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_2_7_LOGO

[fltsim.479]
title = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_2_8_LOGO_AC
texture = AC
model = FSDT_SODE_JW_TB_2_8_LOGO

Also copy the AC texture from the staircase folder and paste into the Sode Jetway Logo folder. Change the sim.cfg as appropriate. Also place a copy of the GSX_LOGO_4X1DDS from the staircase Folder or if not there from the Baggage texture folder. See below

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_STAIRCASE\TEXTURE.AC
fallback.2=..\texture

This worked for me.

PC Pilot

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:49:35 pm »
Thanks, KennyMac  ;)

I thought someone from FSDT would have provided a response but I sincerely appreciate you answering this post. After I update Navigraph I will give your directions a go and report back. Hopefully this will help others as well  ;D

kennymac825

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 02:01:50 am »
If you need further explanation let me know. It does work I have made many logos now that all work.Good luck

kennymac825

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 02:25:16 am »
Further to my earlier if you need more information on creating a custom logo let me know as it really is quite simple to create any that you would like.

PC Pilot

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 02:28:16 am »
Thanks!  I have the logo created but knowing where to place the texture and what file(s) to edit/configure seemed to be the mystery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:52 am »
Thanks!  I have the logo created but knowing where to place the texture and what file(s) to edit/configure seemed to be the mystery.

The texture .DDS file can be placed in your own texture.XXX folder, the only requirement is that you have a texture.cfg file with a fallback to ..\Texture folder, like this:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\texture

This, if you MADE a texture that doesn't exists in GSX, not in the Jetway logo folder and neither in the other vehicles (all logos are in the FSDT_Staircase\TEXTURE.XXX folders)

If you want to reuse a GSX texture that already exists, you don't even need to create the texture, JUST create an empty TEXTURE folder and create a texture.cfg file with a fallback to the existing texture in the FSDT_Staircase_Folder, for example, if you want to add "Aviator", which exists in GSX but not in the jetway logos, your texture folder under FSDT_Jetway_logo will be named like this:

TEXTURE.Aviator

It will be *empty* but with a texture.cfg made this way:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\FSDT_Staircase\TEXTURE.Aviator
fallback.2=..\texture

Of course, you'll have to create ALL 10 [Fltsim.XXX] sections for all the different logo variations (they come in different sizes depending which jetway they are used on), as explained above.

PC Pilot

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:58:52 pm »
OK. Getting there.

The logo is now displayed in the dropdown list. I selected my custom logo, however, when I clicked "Apply" I received an error mentioning I need to download and install the stand alone installer located at fsdreamteam.com/sa-addon-manager (which doesn't work).

I restarted the simulator (P3D v4) and now there are no jetways.

The the GSX option on the sim menu has disappeared as well leaving the "Addon" only. I checked and both the GSX and GSX Expansion are in trial mode and it won't take the serial numbers (keys) meaning I paste them in but when I open the Addon Manager for GSX it still shows in trial mode.

I'm not sure what happened but now GSX doesn't work and there's no option to activate (at least it's not working with the key codes).

I felt like I was getting there and I'm sure it's probably something minor that has caused it. How do I fix this?

If I do a complete reinstall, will that delete the texture folders I've created?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
The logo is now displayed in the dropdown list. I selected my custom logo, however, when I clicked "Apply" I received an error mentioning I need to download and install the stand alone installer located at fsdreamteam.com/sa-addon-manager (which doesn't work).

That's because you made a mistake in one of the [fltsim] sections you should add for the new logo. You likely set a wrong title.

The error message didn't "just" said to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager (which is not required anymore, since we have the Live Update). It ALSO said the most important thing, which matters to one that is *modding* GSX: a prompt to open the error log. If you selected Yes to the prompt of opening the error log, the error details should help you understand what you did wrong.

Also note that, whenever you change/add/replace textures or simobiect titles, you MUST do it when the simulator is not running.

PC Pilot

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 06:27:32 pm »
I decided to uninstall everything (GSX) and do a clean reinstall using a different folder. I did that but now I keep getting the same errors as before.

I have both FSX and P3D v4 installed on the same PC, however, on reinstall I only selected P3D.

When starting the sim the "Airport cache loaded successfully" is displayed in the banner at the top of the screen. Then the 1st error appears.

Error #1:  "The Couatl Scripting Engine has encountered an unrecoverable error and will be restarted. Please download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager from http://www.fsdreamteam.com/sa-addon-manager.  Do you want to open the log to see error details?".

Initially I did then saved the log file.

The next window asked: "Do you want to restart Couatl? Replying NO will quit Couatl."

I selected "No".

Error #2: "The Couatl scripting engine hasn't started. This is usually caused by an antivirus that has blocked it. To fix this problem: Exit from the simulator. Configure the antivirus and add the C:\GSX P3D\Addon manager folder to the antivirus Exclusion list. Launch FSDT Live Update or reinstall the software.  OK"

Everything worked fine until attempting a custom logo. I don't understand why uninstalling the product completely then reinstalling the base pack followed by the expansion doesn't seem to fix this. I would be happy to just to get it working like before (and the anti-virus wasn't the problem then).

1. What is the proper procedure to COMPLETELY uninstall this product (base and expansion)?

2. What is the proper install procedure (the install manual is not available until AFTER install)?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
Please re-read my last post, it already contained *everything* you needed to know to fix this:

You made a mistake in one of the [fltsim] sections you should add for the new logo. You likely set a wrong title.

The error message didn't "just" said to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager (which is not required anymore, since we have the Live Update). It ALSO said the most important thing, which matters to one that is *modding* GSX: a prompt to open the error log. If you selected Yes to the prompt of opening the error log, the error details should help you understand what you did wrong.

Initially I did then saved the log file.

You were not supposed to save the log file. You see it in Notepad, because it was already saved for you. You should have READ what it said, and this would surely gave you an hint what kind of error you made when creating your custom logo.

If you did not understand the error log, you should have posted it here.

kennymac825

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 03:56:00 pm »
Have you tried starting the simulator in a another or a stock airport? I experienced similar but had no issues running in a stock airport, only in airports where I tried to create a logo

PC Pilot

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 10:13:12 pm »
Kenny, you are the man!

I loaded a different airport when starting the sim and it worked fine. What I can't understand is why does it not reset everything after a complete uninstall, reboot, then a new/full install? I checked the folder where it was installed and everything has been deleted unless there are config files elsewhere that are not removed upon uninstalling the product. I wish I knew where the "sim.cfg" files are located that are causing the problem.

In the log file, it mentions some of the major airports it cannot find which makes no sense because I don't have any special addons for any airport. Just don't know why it's erroring out. I've been told to "read the log" but not knowing how exactly to interpret it doesn't help me a bit.

Thanks again for your suggestion. It has help to possibly point me in the correct direction and thanks so much for trying to help. It is very much appreciated.  ;D ;D