Author Topic: How to get GSX to read current scenery  (Read 2557 times)

dbrashears

How to get GSX to read current scenery
« on: August 07, 2018, 06:28:45 pm »
How do you get GSX to read afcad files for correct parking positions. Mine is pulling the info from the default global bgl files and nothing from addon scenery that I have added. It is reading FSdreamteam scenery though. As you can see by the log file almost all scenery is considered to big to be an afcad? Seems afcad files larger than 2000000 are considered to big to be an afcad. Anyway to change that?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:03:19 pm by dbrashears »

dbrashears

Re: How to get GSX to read current scenery
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 02:44:19 pm »
For what it is worth, I figured out that if there was a way to increase the max size GSX would allow for an afcad, it should work. Key was to put airportCacheMaxBGLSizeBytes=4000000 in the Couatl.ini file. Then it worked. A lot of afcads that have been reworked by other people and now are larger than 2000K. I would suggest that you might want to put the answer in the frequently asked questions.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: How to get GSX to read current scenery
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:47:52 pm »
A lot of afcads that have been reworked by other people and now are larger than 2000K. I would suggest that you might want to put the answer in the frequently asked questions.

We'll likely put this in the manual, because right now this feature has been discussed on the forum only.

However, I still believe a smart scenery designer would separate the airport data from things that don't really belong to it, such as textures for example, which is the reason why AFCADs grows so large. No commercial scenery developer does it, because they all have enough experience to know that it's best to keep the airport information required by the ATC/AIs separate from the larger visual stuff.

And, of course, there's a reason why we chose 2.0MB as the highest threshold for an airport file: the largest AFCAD in the default scenery is 1.4MB and they usually cover several airports. Payware developers usually have a single AFCAD for each airport, and they very rarely surpass 500K.

So, having 2.0MB as default, is a sensible choice, which doesn't force everybody to have their cache rebuild time slowed down, just to accomodate for those large AFCADs that includes stuff that is probably best being kept separate.

But yes, we'll add it to the manual nevertheless.