Author Topic: API.dll CTD on exit **SOLVED**  (Read 2042 times)

DJJose

API.dll CTD on exit **SOLVED**
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:38:19 am »
Hi Umberto,

How do I know if I have the latest latest bgdmanx and other FSDT executable and DLL files?

I've run the updater, but still have api.dll error in win 7 64 log. This only happens with the addon manager enabled.

For now, I now only enable the addon manager when I fly into FSDT airports.

Thanks.
Jose
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:45:37 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: API.dll CTD on exit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:45:30 pm »
As we already discussed so many times, the API.DLL error on Exit which was reported earlier has been fixed with the current version of the files that, if you ran the Live Update recently, unless something like an antivirus is blocking the update, you can be sure you already have them so, THAT issue has been fixed.

If you are still experiencing an API.DLL crash, it's possible it's ANOTHER API.DLL crash but, opposite to the previous one which I was able to reproduce, and LM was also able to reproduce it too, so they help me finding the problem, this one I really cannot reproduce in any way but, since you say you run Windows 7, it's very likely it happens ONLY under Windows 7 and, since it's probably related to our usage of the new PDK (which no other developer use, so you are only seeing it happening in relationship with our software), it's possible it might be related to differences in either DirectX 11 and/or video drivers in Windows 7 when the standard PDK Render To Texture (RTT) functions are used.

As of today, every user reporting this error use Windows 7 so, we are not really worried, since mainstream support for Windows 7 has already ended in 2015 and even the Extended support will end in Jan. 2020 so, by that time, we'll stop supporting Windows 7 entirely too.

In the meantime, we added an option to remove the error.

For now, I now only enable the addon manager when I fly into FSDT airports.

Totally useless and a waste of time, which would also prevent you using GSX. The error is harmless, since it doesn't' prevent the sim to close correctly so, Windows itself will do its standard on-exit cleanup of any allocated memory.

However, if the error really annoys you, you can check the "Disable RTT" option in the Addon Manager settings, which will disable every call to the PDK. As of today, none of our products use it, but the software is already ready.

If you disable the option, this Windows 7-specific error will go away, but without RTT, the following features won't be available:

- The Jetway Numbers in the upcoming GSX Level 2 expansion and, of course, all the FSDT sceneries which will be updated by that time, to support the new jetways.

- The Live Information panels in KORD V2

- The Live AI Panel inside terminals in KORD V2

And of course, future products will use this feature more extensively so, my suggestion would be either upgrade to Windows 10 (this would be the best solution), or just ignore the API.DLL error which, as I've said, hasn't proved to be a problem so far.