Author Topic: FSDT Scenery all disappeared  (Read 2170 times)

Barramundilure

FSDT Scenery all disappeared
« on: March 31, 2018, 08:26:41 am »
Hi Everyone have recently made the move from FSX to P3D and made several flights including to and from FSDT sceneries in the PMDG B77W with no problems. 
I got a message to this morning update my fsdt sceneries via the live updater which I did with P3D closed, then did a flight only to find my KMEM scenery missing after a 5 hour flight from PANC.  Talk about frustration!!

Looking at all my FSDT sceneries they have all disappeared in the sim despite them being active in my scenery library.  I am using P3D V4.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation.

In FSX a restart generally saw them return but not on this occasion. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barramundilure

Re: FSDT Scenery all disappeared
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:57:05 am »
Have run the updater and I seem to have my sceneries back.  I love the sceneries but your updaters and system of upgrading leave a lot to be desired.
If you think its just me, you should read some of the forums out there regarding them.
It is definitely what lets your company down I'm afraid to say. 
I have just about all of them but i will buy no more and not allow them to update as they cause more hassle than they are worth in both FSX and now P3D.  i will stick with Fly Tampa and Flightbeam.
I also suspect it was what finally killed my FSX setup.
Pity.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Scenery all disappeared
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:34:58 pm »
I love the sceneries but your updaters and system of upgrading leave a lot to be desired.

The upgrade system works perfectly and, in fact, it's what allowed to fix the problem with a simple run of it, which downloaded only a single updated file, which fixed the crash.

The real reason of the problems some of your were having, it's because you were all still running on P3D 4.1, since the problem happened only because we used some calls specific to 4.2 without realizing it, which caused 4.1 to crash. Nobody using 4.2 had any problem.

P3D 4.1 was so bugged with GSX, because of the missing texture problems, that we assumed most GSX users would have upgraded to 4.2 by now and, in fact, LM suggest to ALWAYS update to the very latest version, as soon as possible.

And why some users haven't updated to 4.2 ? We know why: because of compatibility issues with some other addon!

So, why we are supposed to test and guarantee that everything will always work with each and every version of the sim, when others don't even bother to support the current one ? You cannot even download the 4.1 installer anymore: LM will only let you download the old Clients, with a suggestion NOT to use them.

If you think its just me, you should read some of the forums out there regarding them.

Users like to complain about it, ONLY because a tiny minority of what our software does, is to handle activation. This is not, of course, what is causing problems, because 99% of what our software does, is totally unrelated to activation, and any software that does such things CAN crash, because it's a .DLL, so it can bring down the sim with it, just like any other 3rd party .DLL addon module.

Interesting how nobody "on forums" said anything similar when a new FSUIPC build totally killed the sim, and this JUST happened when P3D 4.2 came out:

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/84951-issue-with-fcuip5-with-p3d-v42/

And, from Pete's reply:

Seems to be a problem of multiple SimConnect clients not working well together and especially messing up menus and displays.

So, it was an issue very similar to this one: the mixup of using different versions of the SDK. And our issue was fixed on the same *NIGHT* it was reported.

And the only reaction from user were jokes about him being on vacation...and FSUIPC *is* a commercial program too, that when it fails, it will render unusable way more products that FSDT ones and in some cases (like that one), would prevent the whole sim from start. But nobody complains too much about it, just because it's not used by protect products.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:36:36 pm by virtuali »