Author Topic: GSX Request in Live Updater  (Read 7970 times)

B777ER

GSX Request in Live Updater
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
Umberto - Much like you all did for the Live Updater to ignore replacing the fix for the Orbx and KLAS scenery, many of us have used replacement voice files for the GSX pushback voices. There is an excellent human voice replacement file on Avsim and I have been using it for years. Now though when live updater is used it is replacing them everytime with default. Any way to set it up to ignore that folder?
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Request in Live Updater
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:24:29 pm »
Alright, you made the request, now you must test it for me...

Take this file here:

http://update.fsdreamteam.com.s3.amazonaws.com/setup/fsdtroot/Couatl_Updater2.exe

And place it in the Addon Manager folder. Now, if you want to exclude ANY folder from being updated, you must create a blank file in it with this name

dontupdate

It must be a file with no extension, and can be empty or not, the program won't try to open it, it only checks if it exists so, if you want to exclude the pushback sounds from being updated, create such file here:

Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\pushback

To test it, start Couatl_updater2.exe, NOT Couatl_updater.exe or the FSDT Live Update shortcut on the Desktop, because doing this will "downgrade" it to the standard version. Same if you launch an FSDT installer: it will remove this test version until we publish it officially.

After your feedback, we'll make it available on all servers, so everybody will be getting it.

And please, do not abuse it. Don't place it everywhere, otherwise if we do real updates, it will become tricky to find why they don't work. The progress bar is intentionally slower when a folder has been excluded, so you have time to read the message, reminding you of an excluded folder.

B777ER

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:11:13 am »
Traveling for work this week Umberto but am back Friday night. . I will test it out on Saturday morning.
Eric

B777ER

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 06:51:48 pm »
Now, if you want to exclude ANY folder from being updated, you must create a blank file in it with this name

dontupdate

It must be a file with no extension, and can be empty or not, the program won't try to open it, it only checks if it exists so, if you want to exclude the pushback sounds from being updated, create such file here:

Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\pushback

What kind of file? Just a text file named donotupdate? I'm a little confused with this instruction?
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »
Create a blank file in the folder, named "dontupdate", with no extension.

B777ER

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:41 pm »
Create a blank file in the folder, named "dontupdate", with no extension.

What I am asking is the TYPE of blank file to create? A text file or what? I will rename it to donotupdate but I need to know first what type of file does it need to be?
Eric

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:32:27 pm »
What I am asking is the TYPE of blank file to create? A text file or what? I will rename it to donotupdate but I need to know first what type of file does it need to be?

Filetype under Windows is not really meaningful, it's just an helper to the right-click button to have the extension automatically set for you (if you say "Text document", it will create a blank new file with a .TXT extension) but, in our case, it doesn't matter, it's enough the NAME is "dontupdate", with no extension.

So yes, if you create it from the right-click button menu, it will be a Text file, but then you'll have to rename it from "New Text Document.txt" to "dontupdate" and confirm you don't want the .TXT extension anymore.

Me, I'd just open a command line in that folder, typing the following:

copy con dontupdate

And then pressed F6 or CTRL-Z to exit. This will create a 0 bytes file named "dontupdate" in the folder you started the command line with...but the Windows method is alright...

B777ER

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 03:51:09 pm »
Just tested it and it works. The sound files did not get changed. Well done! OH by the way, made the donotupdate file like you said you would do, I learned something new!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:06:44 pm by B777ER »
Eric

WebMaximus

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
This is a great feature!

Do I need to create one donotupdate file in each of the sound sub folders or will one file in the main sound folder be enough and also make sure no files in the sub folders are updated?
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 01:27:47 pm »
The dontupdate is not recursive. You must add one to each and every sub-folder you want to exclude.

WebMaximus

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:40:30 pm »
Got it.

Maybe I did something wrong but I tried this yesterday placing a donotupdate file in both the main GSX sound folder as well as in the subfolders where I dropped alternate sound files.

However, after running FSDT Live Update the modified sound files had been replaced by default ones again and the donotupdate files I manually dropped in the sound folders were gone.

Maybe I missed something. Will give it another try later today.
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 02:42:19 pm »
However, after running FSDT Live Update the modified sound files had been replaced by default ones again and the donotupdate files I manually dropped in the sound folders were gone.

Since the previous post confirmed it's working:

Just tested it and it works. The sound files did not get changed. Well done! OH by the way, made the donotupdate file like you said you would do, I learned something new!

The only possible reason is you created the file in the wrong way, most likely the wrong name.

WebMaximus

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:53:18 pm »
Well, here it doesn't work.

I created an empty file called donotupdate with no extension and I then dropped this file in the below folders. After running the FSDT live updater the sound files have been replaced and all donotupdate files are gone.

F:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds
F:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\catering
F:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\deicing
F:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\fueltruck
F:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager\couatl\GSX\sounds\pushback
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 03:02:04 pm »
. After running the FSDT live updater the sound files have been replaced and all donotupdate files are gone.

As I've said, the only possible reason why it wouldn't work, is that you named the file wrongly. And in fact, if you really called the file "donotupdate", it's no wonder it's not working, because in this whole thread, including my last reply, the file has always been referred as:

dontupdate

NOT "donotupdate"

WebMaximus

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 03:22:10 pm »
If you read the thread a bit more carefully you will find that the file is referred to both as dontupdate as well as donotupdate in some places. Not by you but by Eric and most certainly a simple mistake since he got it working.

Working fine here as well now that I got the name correct so thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Finally Umberto, you really need to work on your attitude because this is far from the first time you're using a rather condescending tone and comments towards paying customers and I don't like it. Allow me to give you a push in the right direction giving you an example how you could have written your post which would have been so much nicer.

"Richard, I think I spotted the problem. I noticed how you seem to have used the filename 'donotupdate' rather than 'dontupdate'. Try again making sure the filename is dontupdate and let me know but I'm pretty sure that will sort your issue"

Compare that to your own post. Do you see the difference?
Richard Åsberg