Author Topic: GSX 2.0.0 - Couatl.exe System error **SOLVED**  (Read 3016 times)

Supera380

GSX 2.0.0 - Couatl.exe System error **SOLVED**
« on: June 03, 2017, 02:21:57 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Just downloaded the latest GSX v2.0.0 for FSX Accl  DVD and FSX SE Edition using the full GSX installer that also allows you to install GSX to both versions of FSX at the same time.

Install completes without problems, but when starting FSX Acceleration, half way through the FSX initialization prior to scenery load a Couatl.exe error appears.

It states the program (Couatl.exe) could not be started because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing on the computer.
I searched for this file and it is present no my H: drive at Steam/Bin/cef/cef.win7 folder along with a load of other ms .dlls.

When I installed GSX I pointed GSX to a D/Programs File/Add-On Manager folder.
FSX is installed on E: and FSX SE is installed on H drive.

Have also tried starting FSX SE but same error appears.

Ran the GSX installer a 2nd time as suggested by the error message but same problem exists.
Any thoughts on what's going on here?

Regards
Mark

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:32:02 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX 2.0.0 - Couatl.exe System error
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 02:55:23 pm »
It states the program (Couatl.exe) could not be started because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing on the computer. I searched for this file and it is present no my H: drive at Steam/Bin/cef/cef.win7 folder along with a load of other ms .dlls.

Fact that is present, doesn't mean it has been correctly registered in the system. See this thread here, indicating the same problem, which the user reported as solved with the suggested solution:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15643.msg112589.html#msg112589

Supera380

Re: GSX 2.0.0 - Couatl.exe System error
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 09:50:02 am »
Thanks Umberto for the guidance. Very helpful.

Problem was resolved although it was a little more complicated than originally thought.

Turns out that when I ran the suggested Universal CRT, which is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, to uninstall and re-install this (the 64bit version for Win 7 64bit), the install also failed. The associated log file provided an error which I traced back to Windows 7 SP1 not being installed. Looks like VS2015 has a requirement to have this installed.

So I attempted to install Win 7 SP1 but this generated yet another failure and aborted the install. This time related to the automount policy (see here for more details on this solution...https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/joscon/2011/02/17/windows-72008-r2-service-pack-1-fails-with-0x800f0a12/) .

With the Automount enabled I was able to install Win 7 SP1. Once completed, I re-installed the Universal CRT (x64 bit version) which was successful and then from that, re-installed GSX using the full installer.
On FSX Accel starting no Couatl.exe error was shown. FSX SE with GSX also working.

I hope this is useful for any one else that comes across this issue.

Regards
Mark