Author Topic: Permanent Addon Manager and Couatl crashes  (Read 3165 times)

borisvp

Permanent Addon Manager and Couatl crashes
« on: February 11, 2017, 12:18:25 pm »
Gents,

what is wrong with your software?

I have a few FSDT airports, so far, so good. Two weeks ago I downloaded FLightbeam KSFO HD, and the it started. Couatl crash upon startup. Next try, sim started, but couatl crash after loading the new scenry. Unstalled Addon Manager and new install - takes 15 minutes due to slow download speed when downöoading components. After second reinstall, it finally worked. Bought KSFO.

Just downloaded Flightbeam KIAD. AND AGAIN! Couatl crashes, long reinstall times, scenery doensb't work becaus Coautl isn't running. Now none of my sceneries is working anymore.

You want to sell products or not? Then please make it work with no fuss! I am really upset - I paid money for this! A friend of mine yseterday purchased KIAD and has the same problems!

I expect you to solve this ASAP!

Boris

AUA9085

• My Youtube Profile :)
Re: Permanent Addon Manager and Couatl crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:24:35 pm »
I do have the same cases since the last P3D update. Probably something is not compatible anymore?
3rd reinstallation of whole system finsihed .... and still the same

borisvp

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 06:49:40 pm »
Okay, after yelling at my computer and cursing the developers (or was it the other way round?) I tried again and did this:
  • Uninstall Addon Manager and Couatl from the system menu
  • Deleted the couatl folder in P3D/FsDreamteam
  • Deleted the content of the prepar3dv3 folder in ProgramData/Virtuali/Couatl
  • Reinstalled with the latest installer dated Feb-02
I have not installed the P3D HF3, however. It has no improvements I would need.

And of course I bought KIAD; these sceneries are just too damn good to do without it. But this is not what a normal user would do. What I think is that there are issues between versions of Addon manager and/or Couatl and the sceneries, and as these two are always installed automatically with the addons, the installation of a new addon overwrites the latest working version and leaves Couatl non-functional. But note that a simple reinstall didn't help.

I don't know what which software exactly does (for KIAD, Couatl seems to handle some of the textures), but I tell you guys one thing: If it is for anti piracy, just forget it. If someone with the knowledge wants to crack your sotware, he will. The disadvantages  are only for the honest customers. And I tell you also when I paid money and an addon won't work and I don't get support either, because everyone blames each other, I know where to look to get a working version.

So I suggest to remove the Addon Manager and Couatl installation from the addon installer and let the user install this standalone.

Boris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:27:22 am »
I'm sorry, but what you said simply cannot happen, normally.

When it happens, it's because some other software you are running, most likely an antivirus, is messing with the installation, blocking some files, and let other passing through and, if you end up with mixed up files from old/new version, this will surely cause problems and crashes.

Haven't you seen how the installer works ? They ALL download the files, and the files are downloaded from the SAME location so, it's not possible that installing a scenery or the Stand-Alone Addon Manager would get you different versions. Again, not possible, if there's no outside interference, like the antivirus problem.

We only had ONE problem, which of course has been fixed in the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager, and it was an error on start from Couatl, saying it couldn't create some objects from XPOI, when you never had XPOI installed. This was discussed on the forum in many threads, and the solution would be removing the XPOI folder which was installed even if it shouldn't. The current version of the Addon Manager will automatically clean up that one, if it finds you didn't had the product installed.

Also everything you did was entirely unnecessary, you only had to download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager after all the sceneries, and it would have fixed everything.

If you still have issues after doing this, please clearly indicate them, by describing precisely your problem, so we can say if it was a problem of the installers, or a problem of some external interference, like the antivirus or something similar messing with the installation.